Rose Bowl Parade.....................

The Rose Parade was... long.

I thought the Bristol 4th of July parade was bad, but it had nothing on this one.

The MMB looped "The Victors" at the beginning up tempo/high step, then alternated with a slowed down, glide step cadence for the rest of the parade once we got out of the main camera area.

Glad you liked the halftime show.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after NINE consecutive years marching in the Rose Parade, I feel like I have a good eye for what works and doesn't work. Here's my quick take...

--Most bands sounded just OK, including my beloved Official Tournament of Roses Honor Band. Nothing special for the most part, with exception of the all-black Louisiana band. Now folks, you gotta know--unless they changed the rules, which I HIGHLY doubt they have, you simply can NOT "counter march" in the Rose Parade. When that band started to do their routine in front of the KTLA camera area, I knew the "white suiters" were having various levels of #### fits. That being said, did you hear the crowd???? They freakin' LOVED it. It wasn't very musical, but MAN was that exciting. LOVED it. The rival "honor" band to the TofR Honor Band, the much-hated All-City Band from Los Angeles, was VERY VERY good. Congrats to them, even though my insides are doing back flips that I'm actually complimenting them. LOL!! (Long time inside joke in case anyone is worried...). The best band of the entire parade, bar none....The Marines. BAM!!!!! USC and Michigan were great. Honorable mention to Riverside King "Kingsmen"??? Did you HEAR THEM PLAYING?!?!?! That is one GOOD band. VERY impressive. Complete with a march that was written FOR THEM by a local composer out here.

Most disappointing segment of the parade both musically and "general effect"....the LAME...and I do mean...LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME... Star Wars segment. If you guys think that 200 storm troopers walking down the street is cool, they should have hired me and a few folks. I would have showed you cool. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?!? Completely untapped potential to freaking SELL that whole section. I was VERY disappointed. LAME Darth Vader. LAME Darth Maul. LAME Grambling Band (although it was a good idea to put them into Imperial OFFICER--not soldier--uniforms). Sorry...it fell flat on its ###.

I'm probably a complete geek for admitting this, but I absolutely got choked up with that Stealth went over head with the Raptors. THAT was freakin' UNREAL.

The dragon float....a 10!!!!!!!!!

The jet pack dude....a 15!!!!!!!!

Star Wars section....a -4. ANNNNNNNND I'm being generous.

And one more thing...the parade route is 5.5 miles long. Not 6.

No no no...10! An even 10...

And WHILE I'M AT IT...it's not the ROSE BOWL PARADE.

It's the Tournament of Roses Parade, started way before any stupid football game.

Guess I'm too lazy to go back through the whole thread, but - - -

(And yes, I know this wasn't in the parade, but after that football thing ended)

Anybody else notice (presumably) USC's band playing "Conquest" after the game? Now THAT was pretty cool.

Back on topic now - I completely agree with that Turner guy 'bout the Star Wars stuff. LA-A-A-A-AME !

No no no...10! An even 10...

And WHILE I'M AT IT...it's not the ROSE BOWL PARADE.

It's the Tournament of Roses Parade, started way before any stupid football game.

Isn't "Rose Parade" close enough? Here in the midwest, it's "that thing that's on TV when you get up New Year's Day morning", as opposed to "that thing that's on TV when you get up on Thanksgiving Day morning". :D