Rose Bowl Parade.....................

Were the dragons still pumping out flame whdtre you were? Looked like they were using a lot of fuel near the beginning.

I rememeber going to see the floats after the parade a few years ago...after 7+ miles of bouncing around, some of them looked prtty ratty -- holes, missing parts, patched of flowers gone -- can't imagine what they must've looked like after the monsoon LAST year!

No Flames, smoke, etc... The Dancing Dino float brokedown in front of us...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Flames, smoke, etc... The Dancing Dino float brokedown in front of us...

That's what you get for being at the end of the route and not watching on TV!

I remember the year the IHOP float burned on camera...and I think it was the 100th parade where one of the floats stalled after passing hte cameras and the band following got "stuck" in frint of the cameras for 15 minutes...fortunately, it was Poway HS and they were one of the few GOOD bands in the parade! Talk about exposure.

Now if that had only happened to Vanguard in 04...THAT would've been unbearably SWEET!

Weird and great to hear that George Lucas specifically asked for the Grambling band.

My bride didn't have cable when I moved to Las Vegas. I got it right before New Year's, just for SCV TOR!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I remember the year the IHOP float burned on camera...and I think it was the 100th parade where one of the floats stalled after passing hte cameras and the band following got "stuck" in frint of the cameras for 15 minutes...fortunately, it was Poway HS and they were one of the few GOOD bands in the parade! Talk about exposure.

Yeah, you know ... that's something that always surprises me. I always assumed that bands had to audition (via video, of course) for a spot in the Rose Parade, but there's usually several that sound kind of mediocre. On the other hand, though, the bands in the Macy's parade are almost always top-notch. What's the deal, then? Do the Rose Parade people just spend so much time worrying about the floats that they don't put as much effort into selecting the bands or what?

I switched between ABC and NBC so I could catch some things twice (NBC's cameras were later than ABC's). Someone please tell me why Billy Bush has a job. I've never seen him on whatever show he must be on, but he was HORRIBLE. Some of the blather coming out of his mouth was absolutely sickening.

I must agree with that!!!!!!! What is it he does? Is he an actor? a disc jockey? where did he come from...??? :laugh: I am quite certain the network could have found someone with a clue............

I must agree with that!!!!!!! What is it he does? Is he an actor? a disc jockey? where did he come from...??? :laugh: I am quite certain the network could have found someone with a clue............

From good, old, reliable "Wikipedia":

William Hall "Billy" Bush (born October 13, 1971), co-host of the syndicated NBC Universal TV show Access Hollywood. He is a first cousin of United States President George W. Bush.

Prior to his leading role on the show, he was an East Coast correspondent for Access, based New York City from early 2002 until mid-2004. When NBC did not renew Pat O'Brien's contract, he left the show to host the new television program, The Insider, and Bush stepped in as O'Brien's replacement.

Bush is known for his light-hearted sense of humor and on-air hijinks with celebrity interviewees. For example, Bush famously brought pizza backstage to the models (including Heidi Klum) at a Victoria's Secret fashion show; he presented Colin Farrell with a post-menopausal stripper for his birthday at the premiere of Phone Booth; he asked Penelope Cruz if she was able to spell her boyfriend Matthew McConaughey's last name (she could not); he asked Jennifer Lopez how she really feels about her butt; he asked Britney Spears whether Madonna or Colin Farrell was a better kisser; and he disguised himself as "Richard Broom" and faced Donald Trump at an audition for The Apprentice.

However, his attitude has sometimes backfired. For example, he was criticized for beginning a live interview of Naomi Watts at the Academy Awards with "Watts up?" (the host Billy Crystal called him "the most annoying man in show business.")

Bush will host the new, unscripted talent competition series "Grease: You're the One That I Want" premiering January 7, 2007, on NBC, which will be used to select cast members for director and choreographer Kathleen Marshall's Broadway revival of "Grease."

Oy Vey!!! :blush:

Yeah, you know ... that's something that always surprises me. I always assumed that bands had to audition (via video, of course) for a spot in the Rose Parade, but there's usually several that sound kind of mediocre. On the other hand, though, the bands in the Macy's parade are almost always top-notch. What's the deal, then? Do the Rose Parade people just spend so much time worrying about the floats that they don't put as much effort into selecting the bands or what?

My former band director tried to get into the Rose Parade a couple of times. My brother is also a travel agent who specializes in taking bands to various festivals and the big parades. You do have to send in an application which must include a video.

The rose parade is more concerned with how the band looks in the video (size) as much or more than sound. they will not take any smaller bands. They like to take the 200+ bands. Notice how many of them have 300+ members every year. Not sure about the current policy but for awhile they divided the US into sections (3-6 states each, about) and would take one band from every part of the country.

Also notice the LA honor marching band (or what ever it's title is). They like the idea of honor groups etc. Plus by taking members from all over the LA area they are BIG.

Just out of curiosity, did the Michigan band maintain that tempo throughout the entire parade? They were flyin'!!! And High Steppin' too! (althought I hate that Big 10 style of marching)

When I marched the Rose Parade in the Hawkeye Marching Band in 86, we high-step-and-swaggered the first mile or so from the beginning around the turn onto Colorado Boulevard, playing the Iowa Fight Song and On Iowa. Once we got out of range of the cameras, we halted and proceeded to low-step the remaining 6 miles, playing "The Stars and Stripes Forever" about 100 times in a row.