1982 Legacy DVD

You have a recording of all the corps or just Garfield?

The entire show

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)-->

QUOTE(Jay B @ Mar 28 2007, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting point, and I'd say 86 was more the last of that type of show. Garfield had changed a lot in four years, but then back came BD in roaring fashion in 86, which I thought was a down year for the most part. The Devils were so superior to everyone out there in terms of talent and swagger that year, even though the show was a bit (purposely?) retrograde. Then the next year, Garfield did Appalachian Spring, the Sky Ryders did their brilliant West Side Story take, SCV brought their "Russian Village" show concept up a notch, even Phantom, not exactly the most cutting-edge corps in the 80s, Spartacus notwithstanding, got in on the "concept" act with their all-white-and-silver winter show. BD stayed pretty trad that year.

My experience with 86 is thru the DVDs only, but I think your probably right about that year being the end, at least for the style they started to toy with in 75. My point about 82 is that I thought BDs style would be more influencial given the Devils competitive success. I wish someone would go back and copy elements of it for use in today shows. The Cadets were a rising, though comventional corps in 80 and 81, but in the first minutes of the 82 show you new something had changed. I had never seen any drill like it. It was unique. I respected it, but didn't really warm up to it, and never have.

The writing was on the score sheets as well. We won Nationals by a significant margin (during the tick era) by 2 points, but the most telling score in Montreal was when we took second in GE and third in visual analysis but still won visual with a dominiating execution mark. We were proud of that but concerned about the analysis scores. Clearly the judges were telling us what we needed to hear. Still, we were as clean as any corps I ever saw. In fact, one show a week before finals, I think it was CYO I went to critique and asked Frank Morris who did visual execution that night what he thought of the corps. he just shook his head and said, increduosly "John, I gave you a 15." I replied that we had received a few already that year and he cut me off saying, "I don't believe in 15's. I tried to not give you one tonight."

82 was my age out year as well. I had marched VK a couple of years, took 81 off and got lucky and joined Blue Stars in Boulder, Co in late June. This was the year Blue Stars were picking up kids at nearly every stop on 1st tour..Colorado, Utah, California and they started the year with about 15 -20 kids from Rogers High School in Spokane WA. Bob Lendman and Moe Latour did an incredible job keeping this corps afloat. If I remember right, the corps went inactive the following year before starting up again in the lower divisions and I can't tell you how proud I am to see them back in D1. I think I was the only age out of the corps that year as well. A small but talented group of instructors kept the corps focused on the history that we represented. Dave Wakely, Randy Knox on Percussion, Jenny Osterheld (PR guard captain), Steve Stueck, Steve Severance and now WGI judge Fred Feeney? also on the staff. My memories of that year were pretty much watching Phantom and Madison at nearly every show with us for 1/2 the summer and being impressed how Phantom pulled off Spartacus for a 2nd year.

The runoff at DCM in DeKalb.

Living in the Mary Sawyer Auditorium in LaCrosse between tours.

The annual Puker, Beers and brats!!

Bob Lendman getting me drunk on my 21st on the 4th of July on the parade route in Beloit.

Meeting two hot gals from the Riverman, one in the guard and the other a mello from Decorah, Iowa

Hooking up with a local french gal at our housing site in Varennes PQ during finals week and Dave Wakely proclaiming, Dude that's the hottest girl I 've seen on tour all summer!! And I still chat with her.

Meeting another gal from the Coachmen at the Port Huron show and catching up with her finals night and she had an extra ticket on the 40 yard line for me and getting to watch the bottle dance even though we heard about it a day or two earlier.

Watching the transformation of Garfield that year. Still one of my favorite musical books.

Madison and Strawberry Soup!! Couldn't hear that enough.

One more time Chuck Corea

Sky Ryder rifle line ( Tracy Burch maybe?)

Pines of Rome

Hearing that my old corps, VK had changed their style, but never seeing the show that year for some strange reason and hearing how folks were excited about some of the things they were doing.

And my favorite...Allison Lendman beating the hell out of a couple of cars while trying to back one of the buses up in those narrow Montreal streets.

And yes, you couldn't hear much during the bottle dance as the crowd went beserk, but I knew it was a special moment ending my drum corps career!!

Edited by bstar82