1982 Legacy DVD

I was at that show Fran, along with about a dozen other Cranford Patriots who skipped practice to see that show...Boy Carmen, our director was mad. He told us anyone caught at that show was getting "kicked out" ...LOL. He knew who we were that was there. What a night, totally, as you state, unforgettable. Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets, Phantom Regiment, 27th Lancers, Bridgemen....etc...

I can still see this show in my head.

~G~

w/Stp: ,then there was the "altercation" behind Bayonne HS with the townies.Great show, though. :)

Edited by JeromeyBush

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

w/Stp: ,then there was the "altercation" behind Bayonne HS with the townies.Great show, though. :)

Actually, there was an altercation in 1981 between the townies and the corps I was teaching at the time. We made the mistake of trying to feed the kids after the show, and set up the supper tables in the dark, around midnight in the park. A gang of townies literally attacked us. The kids and most of the staff ran for the busses and we fought them off as best we could, including flag poles and wooden rifles. We ended up with a staff member and drum major being treated at the hospital. The rest of the corps stayed on the busses, and we spent the night parked outside of the ambulance office. Scary as heck!!!

I thought the horn lines all sounded great. There are some years (96) where some lines have obvious tuning and tone issues all the way through the show. But I didn't notice major problems through out any one show in 82.

Guilty, as charged. :( There's a story behind that, maybe I'll explain it all in another post one day.

Guilty, as charged. :( There's a story behind that, maybe I'll explain it all in another post one day.

I was wondering about that. I couldn't believe Crown was playing that out of tune throughout the entire show. Great music though I don't get what the chess pieces added.

I was wondering about that. I couldn't believe Crown was playing that out of tune throughout the entire show. Great music though I don't get what the chess pieces added.

The chess pieces added an extra hour of load time at the housing site and show site, as well as an extra tractor trailer to the caravan, and saved the entire hornline from having to actually march on and off the field at shows.

We had a new brass caption head due to the departure of Don Taylor. The nasty hornline was the result of the new caption head not addressing any tuning or tone quality issues the entire summer. She would tell us what notes to play, when to play them, how long to hold them, and how loud. Nothing else. I think I remember her saying one time, "watch your tone." One time. During rehearsal we would arc up for breathing and long tones. From them on every note of warm up and show music was done on the move. The hornline you heard the 3rd week of August 1996 sounded exactly like the hornline we had in November of 1995. That's the sound a decently talented hornline will achieve if they go through an entire summer running music with barely any feedback from the staff. Our soprano, mellophone, and contra techs were all let go before tour started. We had a decent baritone tech. The baritone line was by far the weakest part of the hornline, so maybe he helped bring the weaker people up to the level of the rest of the hornline. The high brass was probably the most talented Crown had up until that point. The contras were a step up from the 1995 line, talent-wise.

Our caption head ended up being released from her duties at the beginning of Finals Week.

1996 DCI Finals was the last show I marched in an 8 year marching music career and I can't even stand to listen to my own corps.

I remember that show too. I also seem to remember the constant talk about how Garfield beat Santa Clara the night before.

Actually it was two night's before in Huntington, WV. The win that night came as a complete shock to us. Anyway, 1982 was my ageout as well <thus my screen name>. I have so many wonderful memories which I am very thankful for. At the time we were the most successful Garfield Cadet corps of the DCI-era. An acheivment we took great pride in. We were fulfilling Doc Santo's 3 year plan and leaving the mouth's of fans agape with a revolutionary program. What a great year!

The one thing that I admired about this particular DVD is that the colors are so vivid and real. Nicely done! It's also nice to note that the talking by the narrators during each performance that night is edited out, thank goodness!

• 4 weeks later...
The one thing that I admired about this particular DVD is that the colors are so vivid and real. Nicely done! It's also nice to note that the talking by the narrators during each performance that night is edited out, thank goodness!

That is reason enough to buy the DVD for this year. Thanks for posting this info!

I love the mellophone solo in Spirit's Oh Happy Day.