1982 Legacy DVD

My enduring memory of the 1982 junior corps season is from a late-season show in Bayonne, NJ, where the Blue Devils absolutely tore the place apart with an incredible performance.

It's on my short list of best performances I've ever seen from a drum corps. Awesome.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My enduring memory of the 1982 junior corps season is from a late-season show in Bayonne, NJ, where the Blue Devils absolutely tore the place apart with an incredible performance.

It's on my short list of best performances I've ever seen from a drum corps. Awesome.

Fran

That's pretty much what happened in Evansville; I couldn't have described it better. The stadium erupted repeatedly throughout their entire performance. As with you, that's one of my enduring drum corps memories.

Fran

I was at that show Fran, along with about a dozen other Cranford Patriots who skipped practice to see that show...Boy Carmen, our director was mad. He told us anyone caught at that show was getting "kicked out" ...LOL. He knew who we were that was there. What a night, totally, as you state, unforgettable. Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets, Phantom Regiment, 27th Lancers, Bridgemen....etc...

I can still see this show in my head.

~G~

I was at that show Fran, along with about a dozen other Cranford Patriots who skipped practice to see that show...Boy Carmen, our director was mad. He told us anyone caught at that show was getting "kicked out" ...LOL. He knew who we were that was there. What a night, totally, as you state, unforgettable. Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets, Phantom Regiment, 27th Lancers, Bridgemen....etc...

I can still see this show in my head.

~G~

I remember that show too. I also seem to remember the constant talk about how Garfield beat Santa Clara the night before.

Fran

My enduring memory of 1982 is when SCV took the field for finals. There had been rumors that they were adding the Bottle Dance for their ending. When they got to the chord change I said to myself, "Something is different.....they didn't do this in prelims!" Sure enough when they started the first note of Bottle Dance the whole audience erupted! You HAD to stand up or you were sure to miss it as everyone was on their feet! The crowd was sooooo loud you could barley hear the corps! Sometimes I wonder if it was the roar of the crowd that cause the members on the field not to hear each other and caused it to phase musically? The only other time I have experienced such an up roar from the audience is when 27th Lancers Alumni Corps came marching on the field in Foxboro. I guess it goes to show you how sentimental we drum corps fans can be. :)

My enduring memory of 1982 is when SCV took the field for finals. There had been rumors that they were adding the Bottle Dance for their ending. When they got to the chord change I said to myself, "Something is different.....they didn't do this in prelims!" Sure enough when they started the first note of Bottle Dance the whole audience erupted! You HAD to stand up or you were sure to miss it as everyone was on their feet! The crowd was sooooo loud you could barley hear the corps! Sometimes I wonder if it was the roar of the crowd that cause the members on the field not to hear each other and caused it to phase musically? The only other time I have experienced such an up roar from the audience is when 27th Lancers Alumni Corps came marching on the field in Foxboro. I guess it goes to show you how sentimental we drum corps fans can be. :)

TRADITION is IMPORTANT to MOST of us old pharts !!! :blink:

As a snare drummer on the field at the time, I heard the crowd OVER the horns. Might have been the crowd, the stadium, or a combination of both, but the roar of the crowd was literally louder than the corps down on the field. Very difficult for us to hear the hornline while staged on the fifty and playing nothin' but 1/4's and 1/8's to start, so it must've been impossible for the horn folks to synch spread across the field... poor guys never had a chance.

Little inside tidbit from that event. About 3 bars into the dance, the lone middle snare drummer that had actually marched the "real" bottle dance years yelled out "stay with the drumline." From that point on, the drumline completely zoned the hornline out to ensure the same didn't happen within the line. As I said, poor guys never had a chance the moment the crowd erupted.

Oh wow..so many cool things to talk about regarding 1982, but most of them have already been discussed here.

That was my first year of marching with MB3 and we had a great season. I remember sitting in the stands in Montreal at finals watching some great shows. I loved SCV even though they fell apart, (not much to me) but the emotion was the thing I loved about it most. I loved everybody that year, there was really not a bad drum corps that year in the top 12 was there? So many greats.

That was the year I saw the 27th Lancers in person in North Carolina when I was on tour with MB3 and I fell in love with the "essence" of that group. The way they carrried themselves, the horn line, the show..aw man I was hooked. I remember telling one of my fellow Blues members that I was gonna march there one day. They kind of looked at me and said, "Yeah wishful thinking". Little did they know.... :blink:

Yeah the DVD is a must especially if you still are stuck with the dreaded VHS version with the awful talk over. Ugh...lol.

Cheers to 1982 from bottom to top!

I've told this here before, but I was under the stands when SCV went into "Bottle Dance." The place ROARED with applause and all of us ran to the

fence to see what we could. It wasn't until I got my "record" (CD now) that I heard the phasing, but it didn't make a difference to me at all. SCV was

AWESOME in 1982, and their show was complex and performed superbly. Seeing the Bottle Dance was probably enough for 98% of the fans anyway,

and I was so in love with their show by the time we hit Montreal that I could not have cared less that it was off a bit. Visually it was perfect.

So SomeOtherJoe, we jammed with you guys, and I have some great pictures of that night in Ogdensburg, NY. I can send them off if you'd like. You

guys were awesome players and very cool guys... memories I'll never forget!!

This is us playing our show, then you guys stepped and did yours:

(you don't see much of this kinda thing anymore...)

mad.jpg

I've told this here before, but I was under the stands when SCV went into "Bottle Dance." The place ROARED with applause and all of us ran to the

fence to see what we could. It wasn't until I got my "record" (CD now) that I heard the phasing, but it didn't make a difference to me at all. SCV was

AWESOME in 1982, and their show was complex and performed superbly. Seeing the Bottle Dance was probably enough for 98% of the fans anyway,

and I was so in love with their show by the time we hit Montreal that I could not have cared less that it was off a bit. Visually it was perfect.

So SomeOtherJoe, we jammed with you guys, and I have some great pictures of that night in Ogdensburg, NY. I can send them off if you'd like. You

guys were awesome players and very cool guys... memories I'll never forget!!

This is us playing our show, then you guys stepped and did yours:

(you don't see much of this kinda thing anymore...)

mad.jpg

G, small world. I remember the '82 jam session well!

My two most favorable musical experiences in DC were: 1. playing La Fiesta all year long in '84 in the presence of that hornline's power; and 2. being in the arc in '82 while Madison played Strawberry Soup. I dug you guys that year, and hearing you play that tune up close and personal literally sent chills up my spine.

By the way, for some reason, I thought the jam was in Hamilton, Ontario. The memory continues to slip daily!

Edited by SomeOtherJoe