1982 Legacy DVD

The '82 Blue Devils did use rifles, as did Garfield - and they were good (never understood why they got rid of them in '83).

And I agree - '82 was a great year.

Later,

Mike

I'll have to pay better attention. I mostly remember the "baton" like piece with the white streamers on the end and the "snakes."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some good face time in '82.......I'm the mallet player to the far left. :laugh:

I'll be sure to look for you next time I watch. :)

Check the drum solo - that's mostly where they use the rifles and one of the girls has a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg drop.

Later,

Mike

Anyone who saw the Cavaliers' first performance at Hansen Park that year was probably amazed that they were able to pull it together and make finals. Hearing Respighi played in three different tempi at one time was an experience not to be forgotten.... :P

Actually I think Garfiled was the only top 4 corps to use rifles that year.

As much as I like the fact that guards tried other types of equipment in the 80's, I don't like that it meant rifles weren't used.

I also couldn't remember everything from 81 (and no DVD yet) so I know some things I memtioned might have been done more that year than I remember.

I'm about 99 percent certain that both BD and Garfield used rifles in 1981.

Edit: Oops, you're talking about 1982. Sorry 'bout that! I'll have to dig out the DVD for '82. Someone else has noted that BD used rifles in '82, as well as '81. I do remember '81, but just can't remember '82. I remember all the other stuff like the wings, etc. Out comes the "Legacy" DVD!

Edited by byline

Anyone who saw the Cavaliers' first performance at Hansen Park that year was probably amazed that they were able to pull it together and make finals. Hearing Respighi played in three different tempi at one time was an experience not to be forgotten.... :P

Funny thing is that today something like that could happen and either, (1) no one would notice (including judges), or (2) everyone would assume it was supposed to be like that.

Check the drum solo - that's mostly where they use the rifles and one of the girls has a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg drop.

Later,

Mike

You are correct. I forgot about this. I have to wonder if this was not that guard's best performance, as there are a few noticeable performance breaks in finals which I don't recall seeing in Evansville. Having said that, I love this guard show, especially the fluid flagwork.

Some people criticize this show (and the previous year's show) for heralding greater emphasis on bodywork. But I'm not sure why BD gets criticized for this more than, say, Garfield, who placed just as much emphasis on bodywork as BD's guard did. Just my take on it, anyway.

I took advantage of DCI's buy 2 get one free sale and bought 79, the year I marched; 82, and 96.

I decided it would be better to focus on one year at a time.

I actually saw all these shows at the time, DCI North both prelims and finals.

82, in my opinion, was a great year for a variety of reasons. Solid performances from the top down, lots of creativity. I think it's one of those years where a lot of change took place. You can really see what was coming the rest of the decade in these shows: alternate guard equipment, dance and coreography, asymetrical drill. I know most of those things were done in the late 70's but done in a much bigger way here. Also the beginning of the pit in a bigger way then the previous 3 years when it was sorta hinted at. I think it's the first time I remember seeing true concert quality percussion in a few cases instead of marching timps and mallets grounded with stands.

I'll just make mostly breif comments and you can all add your memories and opinions.

Cavie sand Spirit: This must be among of the strongest 11th and 12th place corps. Cavies opening drill was very innovative for the day and played the "Pines of Rome" very well. Spirit always great horn line.

Sky Ryders: RIFLES! Love the 3 rifle trick- rifle line with two each and the contras spinning a third one between the legs of the rifle line. FUN show!

Freelancers: What a beatiful smooth and solid show. Although not prominant on the video also a great rifle line and guard. I remember being at the DCI North show when the curved flags were pre-set wrong and 4 guard didn't have them to spin. :doh:

Crossmen: Entire guard handled both a rifle and flag at the same time!

Madison: Some great gaurd tricks. Perhaps they were a little more old school in regards to show design (along with Sky Ryders) than the other corps.

Bridgemen: I actually both the 79 and 82 shows better than the 80 show.

27th: Classic 27th. Was this one of their better hornlines? I thought they sounded solid.

Phaontom: Drill was still very symetrical but very creative story telling. Lots of unique guard equipment and perhaps the first use of a "costume" by the entire guard instead of a more traditional uniform. Such great music played very well!

Garfield: Really pushing the asymetrical drill! Did I see a hint or precurser to the 83 Z pull near the end of the show?

SCV: Asymetrical drill and great visual effects by the guard: hoops, small hand flags etc. Also noticed some of the fun antics with the bass drum and horn soloist; also perhaps a hint of body movement that was to come.

Blue Devils: Great horn line. Great guard. Was this the first year the guard wore the more jazz/pop style uniform instead of the military style? I can't quite remember about that. They used the butterfly wings with just 8 girls. Unique things to spin etc.

I thought the horn lines all sounded great. There are some years (96) where some lines have obvious tuning and tone issues all the way through the show. But I didn't notice major problems through out any one show in 82.

The top 4 guards really did coreography all the way through. Yes the previous years it was done some, but this seemed like the first time I noticed it throughout shows as part of guard work the we think of it today instead of a little "add in."

I think anyone who says Star 93 changed the activity really needs to watch the 82 DVD. I always enjoyed Star and maybe they pushed quality, but when you see what was done in 82 you can't really say they did anything new.

We also did it in 1981. Having Vinny Monticelli (Holly Hawks) as our drill designer was the main reason for this. In 1981 we also did two double flags, one in each hand.

Nice reading these things... '82 was my age out year.

I get a little face time on the DVD, too. Madison... snare line... 2nd from right side... tall blond hair guy. That's me. There's

a nice shot of the snares backing up playing a roll at the end of Slaughter (opener) ... I'm proud of that!

Great memories from that year: Texas... Whitewater... Drum Corps Midwest midnight run off with Phantom... SCV...

Drums Along the Rockies... SCV/Phantom/Madison hornlines playing together in Rockford... Alton, IL where only the front

stadium lights were working that night, made for a very weird effect... an impromptu practice in this super tiny town in

New Mexico as we drove from Texas to Colorado for DATR... BD's drumline... Bridgemens drumline... a show in Grand Rapids,

MI where the crowd was cheering so loudly as we took the field, we couldn't hear the announcer. That was cool... and very

appreciated!

It was great year, and it seemed like everyone was really good that year.

edit: OH! and ummm... one more: how I completely lost it at finals on the field as scores were announced, and it all hit me at

once that that was going to be it... I was done with corps because I was aging out. Man, I was overwhelmed all at once and

couldn't stop the tears for several minutes.

Edited by GGarrett