Rules Proposals

2007.6 - Ordinals decide placement at contests  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

Judging will remain the same. Corps perform and judges rank and rate corps against criteria. Judges rankings for each corps are used to determine the placement for corps in a contest. To maintain current system weight on effect, GE judge rankings are counted twice.

http://www.dci.org/rules/pdf/2007/06_ordinal_placement06.pdf

Edited by drumcat

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff in his pitch says that nobody wants to see a corps win because, say, their drumline is so head and shoulders above that it puts the rest of the corps over the top.

I counter with - the tick system was eliminated because corps wanted to reward a corps for what they do well, not take away for what they do wrong. If a section *is* that much better, than they should be rewarded as such. Anything else just takes away from that philosophy.

Mike

Ordinals can and should break ties. Otherwise, we're all here to compare one to another. If you have a corps whose, for example, brass gets better and better, but still only get better by the same as the group ahead of them, that's where they stay all year.

Other problems might be deciding to not field a guard, since it's only 1/9 or 1/8 of the score, etc. This has a good spirit, but would be an artificial change to a base system.

This is drum corps. We keep score.

Bush worked out pretty well for the Saints.

Bush worked out pretty well for the Saints.

Reggie Bush is the only famous person named "Bush" that did positive things for New Orleans in the past year and a half.

As far as the rule is concerned, I vote no also. You think slotting at regionals and during finals week is bad NOW??? Wait til 4 corps are placed within 10th of each other in one caption in THIS system!!

Edited by madscout96

Voted no - if your drumline (eg) is that much better than everyone elses you should be credited for it, or where is the incentive for that line to continue to improve?

Voted no - if your drumline (eg) is that much better than everyone elses you should be credited for it, or where is the incentive for that line to continue to improve?

Right. One corps could easily win more individual captions, each by a small margin, and still lose to another corps that is especially outstanding in one or two other areas. If my Percussion score is that much better than yours, I'd think that my corps deserved to win even if a greater number of judges had you in first place. If corps A wins Music Ensemble by 0.2 and corps B wins Brass and Percussion by 0.1 each, which corps has a better musical program?

Besides, with eight captions, especially at regular-season shows with a small number of top-tier corps, it seems very likely to me that you could have a lot of situations where, for example, the Cadets win 4 captions and Phantom Regiment takes the other 4. Then what? You use the numerical score as a tie-breaker? :doh:

Although I'm sure some statistics junky will debunk me, this would very seldom make a difference in finals placements, at least at the top end. If you go back and look at recaps over the past several years, the champions have usually won the most captions anyway. I don't think we've seen a drumline pull a coprs from 3rd or 2nd into 1st without at least several of the other captions being in first as well.

Has one very imbalanced caption score ever won it for a corps when the rest of the corps didn't deserve it?

Has one very imbalanced caption score ever won it for a corps when the rest of the corps didn't deserve it?

Define "deserve." If you're a tenth or two back in most other captions, but well ahead in one or two, in my mind you ("you" as in "the whole corps") deserves to win the show, if that's how the numbers add up.

They still would've won the championship, but it's interesting to note that in 1991, Star of Indiana didn't win a single caption outright, though that was under an older adjudication system. They tied BD in Brass, there was a three-way tie in Percussion, and they placed second or third in Visual. Looking at the recaps on fromthepressbox.com, I see that they won overall GE despite the fact that none of the three GE judges had them in first place! In fact, only two of the nine judges had them in first place, and they ended up winning by 0.7!

I'm sure there's some more recent examples under the current system, but I'm not as big a numbers junkie as I used to be and I don't wanna have to look to hard to find facts that I don't remember. :)

Edited by Orpheus