This might get me in trouble, but...

What I don't get about George Hopkins, is that there is already an activity out there that encompasses all of the ideas he has. It's called marching band. Why does he feel that he needs to create something that already exists? The problem that he has, is that the major venues for marching band are all associated with schools, and he isn't. The only way he can be involved in the activity he really WANTS to be involved in (marching band) is to transform the activity he IS involved in, TO marching band.

George, go be a band director at some southern university. IT"S YOUR TRUE CALLING. And while you're at it, leave drum corps alone.

I think that's a really good post.

I also think the future of YEA is not the Cadets, but rather the rapidly growing USSBA marching circut. It might be time for the Cadets to move out of YEA too, but Hopkins would have to make that decision himself. You cannot mold the Cadets (and their competitors) into a normal marching band because all the other groups that YEA deals with are normal marching bands.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps has thrilled this fan for 30 plus years. In my opinion it just keeps getting better. None of these rule proposals will change my vision of drum corps. It will always be about the kids and their teachers. I think the directors will always do what is best for drum corps and it's future. If the directors think that electronics are good for drum corps then so do i . I am easy to please, lol, :) rick

I'd like to know how many of you actually know George and have actually spoke with him for more then say 5 minutes. It seems to me that alot are quick to say what his intentions are without even really knowing him. If thats the case I would really love to speak one on one with some of you so you can tell me where my life is heading. It would sure make a lot of decisions easier

His intentions are evident from many interviews, many years of proposals and the on-field product.

Having to know George Hopkins personally just to draw an educated opinion about his ideas for the activity doesn't really hold much water when you look at the totality of the data over the years.

QUESTION ! :doh:

I do not mean anything bad. Just curious.

I can understand why a Band can not compete in DCI (woodwinds and all the other instuments and such). BUT. Now that DCI groups now use Trumpets and Tubas etc.

Why can a group like The Cadets or whoever, not compete in Band Contests?

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

I can understand why a Band can not compete in DCI (woodwinds and all the other instuments and such). BUT. Now that DCI groups now use Trumpets and Tubas etc.

Most band competitions are governed by academic bodies... and typically they involve accredited high schools.

Because they're run by educators, I believe.

However, if these circuits were to allow "independent" units, like WGI and some other guard circuits, then you could theoretically see it.

I'd like to know how many of you actually know George and have actually spoke with him for more then say 5 minutes. It seems to me that alot are quick to say what his intentions are without even really knowing him. If thats the case I would really love to speak one on one with some of you so you can tell me where my life is heading. It would sure make a lot of decisions easier

You can obviously see what his intentions are. When he proposes a rule to allow woodwinds, his intentions are *drumroll*.... to get woodwinds on the field! You cannot rationally argue otherwise.

but anyway, personally, I am VERY impressed with him as an individual. Sets goals and meets them. Tries things and learns. Takes personal responsibility. Lives his life doing something he clearly enjoys. I don't agree with some of the things he does in drum corps, but he is a top quality individual.

And about Cadets in band contests, as others have said, the competitors in those circuts are high schools and are not open to independent groups. But even if they were, there would have to be a summer circut, because at the end of August the members of the Cadets are all over the country (and some in other countries) going to school.

Edited by soccerguy315