Do you think this will happen?

Poll  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a possible scenario?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How long do you think it will take to occur?

• Within the next 5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-15 years
    • 16-20 years
    • 21-25 years
    • Over 25 years
    • Never

Exactly. This time it will change into marching band. There will be nothing different except the talent of the members and the time of year they perform.

If that is the only difference between drum corps and marching band for you then I seriously think you missed out on what drum corps is about.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is the only difference between drum corps and marching band for you then I seriously think you missed out on what drum corps is about.
Yes, I've heard this mantra before..."it doesn't matter what instruments are used...it's the experience that makes it drum corps." I don't buy that. There's a reason that drum corps has its own unique experience...because it is its own unique activity. If you change the instrumentation then the uniqueness is gone. What you will have is superbands that are more intense than any other bands. They will have the best instructors and the best members and yes, they will go on tour. They will have a similar experience, but it won't be a drum corps experience.

Yes, I've heard this mantra before..."it doesn't matter what instruments are used...it's the experience that makes it drum corps." I don't buy that. There's a reason that drum corps has its own unique experience...because it is its own unique activity. If you change the instrumentation then the uniqueness is gone. What you will have is superbands that are more intense than any other bands. They will have the best instructors and the best members and yes, they will go on tour. They will have a similar experience, but it won't be a drum corps experience.

You don't define the drum corps experience. Just because some kid is playing the clarinet doesn't mean he isn't having the same experiences as people marching today, or when you marched. All the important parts of drum corps will still be there. I am by no means pro-woodwinds, but it is silly to think that the drum corps experience is defined by the instruments used.

Here's the sceneario: we know any-key passed in 2000, and amplification passed in 2004. Now, say the electronics rule passes for this year, 2007, sampled sounds become legal in 2009, and 2014 marks the first year woodwinds are allowed, and by 2018 the standard drum and bugle corps intrumentation is piccolos; flutes; clarinets; alto, tenor, and baritone saxophones; trumpets; mellophones; baritones; euphoniums; tubas; snares, tenor, and bass drums; mallet and auxilliary percussion; and synthesizers and other electronic instruments. Effective use of electronics, narration, and vocal amplification will become necessary in order place in the top twelve. Shows like Cadets 2006, which will have truly fulfilled its moniker as "ahead of its time," become the norm for every corps, with the added inclusion of heavy electronic instrument use and a drastically different ensemble sound due to the addition of woodwinds. Audience members, no longer entertained by the product they pay to see, gradually stop attending DCI events. The shows that corps perform sink to a level of unforeseen classlessness, distastefulness, unoriginality, and (most importantly) a complete lack of any form of entertainment value whatsoever, as the emphasis transfers from performing great music while marching great drill to seeing who can be the most "creative." Soon, neither DCI nor its member corps will have any financial backing, and the organization will start to deteriorate and corps will fold, one-by-one, oftentimes many a year. Eventually, drum corps will no longer exist, ever again.

If... she... weighs... the same as a duck,... she's made of wood.

And therefore?

A witch!

You don't define the drum corps experience. Just because some kid is playing the clarinet doesn't mean he isn't having the same experiences as people marching today, or when you marched. All the important parts of drum corps will still be there. I am by no means pro-woodwinds, but it is silly to think that the drum corps experience is defined by the instruments used.
I believe it is, in part. Yes, the experience could be similar. However, the unique aspect is also part of that experience.

Note: This isn't directed to dbc03, the post is just a good starting post.

More important question, if corps don't really use bugles then does adding instruments other than brass and percussion really matter? Good question for the people making the decisions.

This is a good question. I don't want to take the effort to answer it, but I think that could start a huge ramification off this topic.

This is a good question. I don't want to take the effort to answer it, but I think that could start a huge ramification off this topic.

Very good question indeed. Made me think a little. Personally I think the biggest reason woodwinds aren't on the field (besides tradition) is that brass instruments are louder. And then the specifc ones we use are engineered to be marched with. It is utilitarian to me. Of course, then you can point out the corps that still march traditional snare (not pointing any fingers here) and ask how that makes it any easier.

I predict another topic swing. :P

Heh and I was being a bit of a stinker <$1 to Bugs Bunny> when I asked. I've just seen too many posts where people claim corps is the experience and never give credit to the unique brass/percussion sound. DrumcorpsFan27 and dbc03s posts about this pretty much match what has been discussed. Only difference is they had a civil discussion. :rolleyes:

For the record, to me DC is a combo of the unique sound and experience. But then again I played piston/rotor so part of my experience was people asking "What the #### is that?" at parades and other non-DC settings. So the instrument I was playing made me different from the MB world.