Do you think this will happen?

Poll  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a possible scenario?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How long do you think it will take to occur?

• Within the next 5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-15 years
    • 16-20 years
    • 21-25 years
    • Over 25 years
    • Never

Drum and Bugle Corps haven't played on bugles since they added the first valve.

bugle (n.)- a brass wind instrument resembling a cornet and sometimes having keys or valves, used typically for sounding military signals

I swear to God, dbc03, sometimes it's just...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bugle (n.)- a brass wind instrument resembling a cornet and sometimes having keys or valves, used typically for sounding military signals

I swear to God, dbc03, sometimes it's just...

Sounds like a trumpet to me.

Edit: Also, that definition from dictionary.com changed since the last time I went there for this debate :P

Edited by dbc03

Edit: Also, that definition from dictionary.com changed since the last time I went there for this debate :P

A likely story... ^_^

Edited by Hrothgar15

How much do you want to bet that if these crap changes do take place, people out there will start to form a new organization around original drum corps? Branch off and start new...die hard drum corps fans won't let it die, I know I wouldn't. DCI may crumble that is a real possibility...but I think out of its ashes will come drum corps all over again. What is is, what was was, what will be was, and will be again.

-John Walker

If those changes happen it will be because the majority of the BOD thinks that they ARE good ideas. Even if some of the corps that can not vote are not in agreement, do you really think they will form a new organization? DCI was formed primarily by the top corps in the country at the time, which is one reason it was able to succeed. I just don't see things as you do, I guess.

Note: This isn't directed to dbc03, the post is just a good starting post.

More important question, if corps don't really use bugles then does adding instruments other than brass and percussion really matter? Good question for the people making the decisions.

PS - I'm back playing and following corps because I love the unique brass and percussion combination. And if the Mummers or bagpipe bands don't see the need to add new types of instruments then why DCI?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

How much do you want to bet that if these crap changes do take place, people out there will start to form a new organization around original drum corps? Branch off and start new...die hard drum corps fans won't let it die, I know I wouldn't. DCI may crumble that is a real possibility...but I think out of its ashes will come drum corps all over again. What is is, what was was, what will be was, and will be again.

-John Walker

Misread post - thought John was saying start a new organization with new corps.

Problem is how many corps would be left in each organiztion and would there be enough to do what is needed? Let's remember DCI broke off from AL/VFW when there were a few hundred corps. Now there is only a few dozen.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Well, yeah, hearing a Phantom sax feature would be rather odd...

But a Blue Devils sax feature, now that would be tremendous. :P

Phantom, I'd like to see with a string quartet, or maybe Blue Knights could use the quartet to tackle a Kronos piece. Perhaps BK could use a a synth to produce actual piano sounds? Imagine Bluecoats playing some modern jazz with an electric organ. So many possibilities.

There are already string quartets. :music: There are already Jazz ensambles. :doh: There are already marching bands. B) Soon, there will be NO drum corps. :doh:

These predictions have been around forever.

They've always been proven wrong.

Then why are there fewer and fewer corps. Perhaps the predictions are being proven right and you don't want to admit it.

Yes, I FEAR what the future of DCI may hold.
Have no fear, drum corps will become superbands. The future is rather clear on this.

I foresee a future where I'll no longer support this activity...when that will occur, I don't know

I don't think things will collapse...this activity will change to the point where it's no longer the same activity

Exactly. This time it will change into marching band. There will be nothing different except the talent of the members and the time of year they perform.