Ex-Sunrisers/North Band Director Praised after surprising death....

For those of you that may remember, Tom McCarthy (knicknamed Bunyon) was a soloist with the Long Island Sunrisers back in the mid to late 70's..........

North band director praised after surprising death

In 23rd year at North, teacher dies weeks after cancer found

By Sue Loughlin and Crystal Garcia

The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Irreplaceable.

That’s the word Rodney Foster used to sum up Terre Haute North Vigo High School band director Tom McCarthy.

McCarthy died Thursday in Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis; he had learned just a few weeks ago that he had cancer.

Foster, orchestra director at North, said some knew he was sick during the last week and a half, but McCarthy didn’t let it get to him.

“The way Tom was, he was kind of strong and kept a lot of things to himself,” Foster said. “He didn’t want to cause any needless worry.”

Two weeks ago, the school hosted a holiday program and McCarthy was there after a surgery that removed a mass to test for cancer, Foster said.

Despite 20 stitches in his chest, McCarthy was still there for a concert Monday night, a middle-school tour Tuesday and two concerts at the high school Thursday, he said.

He said that was a good example of how McCarthy went above and beyond.

“His concern was always making the music department and that program the best it could be for the kids and the community,” Foster said. “He was never satisfied with the way it was.”

North’s choir director, Steve McDaniel, agreed. He’s known McCarthy for 14 years.

“Both in his home and at school he was always working to create something new or better,” he said. “He was never satisfied with just the status quo.”

In addition to running the jazz ensemble, the basketball band and jazz combos that performed throughout the community, McCarthy also directed the marching band, which included taking the students on many trips and to competitions every weekend and writing all the drills, Foster said.

Sometimes McCarthy would stay up late writing the drill and then get up early to run rehearsal, he said.

This year, McCarthy also took time from the school day to work with middle-school band students, Foster said.

The job didn’t end in the summer for McCarthy like other teachers, Foster said, because he also was involved in camp for the marching band as well as any students interested in attending jazz camp, he said.

“He was a year-round educator,” Foster said. “It didn’t end in May and begin in August for him. He was dedicated to the program year-round.”

Peter Allison, 21, of Terre Haute was one of the students who benefited from McCarthy’s dedication.

Allison, a trumpet player, graduated from North in 2003 and is attending Indiana University in Bloomington for a bachelor’s degree in jazz music.

He said he doesn’t think that opportunity would have been available to him if it hadn’t been for McCarthy.

“Tom was a great teacher, but he was more than that,” Allison said. “He was a mentor to me. He had a really deep love of music that he was always ready to share with his students.”

McCarthy used to give free lessons to the advanced students to show them how to teach others as long as they taught the younger students for free, too, Allison said.

“It was that kind of giving attitude, he went above and beyond his job,” he said. “He really cared about his students and he really opened up a lot of opportunities.”

Sophomore saxophone player Callie Short said she will miss McCarthy’s overall presence the most.

“He lit up a room,” she said.

She said some students already have been talking about dedicating their next marching band show in August to him.

Counselors will be prepared today to meet with grieving students and staff.

McCarthy had served as North’s band director since the mid-1980s.

Tim Murphy, band director at Terre Haute South Vigo High School, said McCarthy was his band director for three years when he was a student at North.

“He was a great guy. This is a tremendous loss,” Murphy said. “We’re all just devastated.”

Murphy participated in every music program he could that McCarthy directed — marching band, pep band, wind ensemble, concert band and symphonic band.

“He was a great influence and an inspiration,” Murphy said.

Dave Nearpass, band director at Woodrow Wilson Middle School, said many students who played in the jazz band at Wilson were able to continue that interest through the quality jazz program at North.

Nearpass’ own children have participated in both jazz ensemble and wind ensemble at North. “He gave my own kids the opportunity to play in outstanding music groups in high school.”

Thanks Guys for putting it out there. I had just talked to him before Christmas. He told me about having a mass in his chest removed, but he didn't think much of it. My daughter lost her Godfather and I lost a good friend.

God rest his soul.

John

Thanks Guys for putting it out there. I had just talked to him before Christmas. He told me about having a mass in his chest removed, but he didn't think much of it. My daughter lost her Godfather and I lost a good friend.

God rest his soul.

John

Hey John,

I remember you introducing him to me once when you guys stopped down at a Cabs rehearsal I believe it was either in 1998 or 2000. From what I remember, he just loved the Drum Corps Activity, and thru alot of your stories, I know he absolutely loved doing what he did for his kids in Indiana. I know you will miss him alot, and the Drum Corps/Marching Band communities have truly lost a great one. My prayers are with him and his family.

Frank, Thank you for letting us know. Bunyon was a great guy and everyone who knew him will mourn his passing. I marched with Bunyon in 1978. After being away from the acitivity for a number of years Bunyon recognized my lack of confidence and made an effort to make me feel comfortable. I'll never for get him for that. He was great person and friend. I'm sure he'll be missed by many. God Bless his family and friends.

Nat Mazyck

Sun 1967-1970 & 1978-1992

Edited by uponatime

Frank, Thank you for letting us know. Bunyon was a great guy and everyone who knew him will mourn his passing. I marched with Bunyon in 1978. After being away from the acitivity for a number of years Bunyon recognized my lack of confidence and made an effort to make me feel comfortable. I'll never for get him for that. He was great person and friend. I'm sure he'll be missed by many. God Bless his family and friends.

Nat Mazyck

Sun 1967-1970 & 1978-1992

Frank,

Thanks for posting this - I brought Tom to the Sunrisers and drove him around the first year - he was one of those great people - I am proud to have called him a friend. We stayed in touch over the years and I was a member of his wedding party. I will miss him more than I can say.

God speed Tom.

Tom was, hands-down, one of the best horn players I've ever heard... what a pure sound. A great teacher as well, and simply a great guy. IMO, he was one of the big reasons for the Sunrisers' rise to the top of the senior drum corps world in the 1970's.

RIP, Tom.

Fran

Thanks for all the kind words.

Tom was truly a pure horn player first and a Top of the line music teacher.

We could go on and on with stiories, but I will never forget going to his house while he was in college and listening practice for hours in a small closet that he soundproofed under his basement steps. That and changing a clutch in my IMPALA on Easter Sunday in his driveway.

These thoughts will never leave my memory. Tom will never either.

John

I haven't seen Tom since the early 80s. But anytime I think of the great years the Sunrisers had in the late 70s and early 80s I see his face among all those others that are permanently etched in my brain. I knew him to be a great person. And, as the young sax player in the article above attested, he did have a tendency to "light up" a room with his personality.

My personal condolences go out to all of Toms family and close friends.

Dave China

Edited by DaveChina