Dome shows: Atlanta vs. Indy

I've been to the RrrCccAaa Dome numerous times working with bands for BOA and for DCWorld, including the recent BOA Championships. Last July, I performed with the CorpsVets in the Georgia Dome during the DCI contest.

Other than "raining" inside in one upper section, I'd rank the Georgia Dome as the best indoor acoustics I've found. Granted there are many domes I've never experienced. The RrrCccAaa Dome has the worst acoustics I've heard. Fortunately, the new dome DCI will use after this year is supposed to be much better. Let's hope so.

The new Lucas Oil dome in Indy has a retractable roof and a retractable side in one of the end zones. BoA and DCI are both involved in the acoustics. Should be the real deal, especially after the rain showers mess in during finals week in Orlando 2003.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RCA dome sounds fantastic. Atlanta was nice as well but I would say the sound is a little damper there. I would give a slight edge to the RCA dome

One things for sure, the acoustics in the alamodome are awful! Especially at the very top, and from on the field. I've witnessed both many times

As a fan in the stands. I've been to both the RCA Dome and the Georgia Dome.

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE RCA DOME AGAIN! I was miserable. The music didn't reach me! I heard every show 3 times because of the echo. I had the worst headache after i left that night. I totally missed small nuances in each show because of the echo and the drums. The seats at the RCA dome ar much smaller as well (with the exception of the ones on the 50 yard line)

Georgia Dome. Much better acoustics. Wider seating, gorgeous waterfalls...oh wait I don't think that was planned. I would go to the GA dome again for a show. Not that bad actually.

I can't speak for Indy, but I was at the Ga Dome last year(good seats, too), and the acoustics were AWFUL. I don't think I'll ever spend my hard-earned money on attending another indoor drum corps show again.

I can't speak for Indy, but I was at the Ga Dome last year(good seats, too), and the acoustics were AWFUL. I don't think I'll ever spend my hard-earned money on attending another indoor drum corps show again.

Don't forget that you have an option to see (and hear!!!) drum corps in the great outdoors in metro Atlanta and less than two hours away at JSU. And, you won't have to deal with Ticketmaster!

June 23 - Atlanta Brass Classic at it's great, new location at Milton High School in Alpharetta. Cadets, Crown, Spirit, Boston, Teal Sound and CorpsVets. Tickets (at a new, reduced price this year) will be on sale soon at DCI.org.

July 15 - A GREAT lineup the night after the Georgia Dome regional at Jacksonville State University, just 90 miles west of Atlanta. Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Boston, Spirit, Glassmen, Troopers (welcome back, y'all!!!), Memphis Sound, Music City Legend and CorpsVets. Tickets on sale soon at DCI.org.

Edited by oldsoprano

• 1 month later...
I've been to Indy several times, San Antonio several times and Atlanta last year.

For sound, I'd rank it Georgia Dome, Alamo Dome and then RCA Dome a distance behind the other two.

I enjoyed the overall experience at all three venues. If I had to rank them, I'd have to go Georgia Dome, RCA Dome, then Alamo Dome.

Even though I prefer outdoor drum corps, there is something to be said for a rain free, bug free, climate controlled environment. (Can you imagine a major DCI event outdoors in San Antonio in the middle of a typical Texas heatwave?)

There's no such thing as a typical Texas heatwave. It's hot and humid every day in the summer in Texas.............

Its only humid down in the southern parts here. Houston, etc. We get that, yeah. Dallas and the northside are fairly dry by comparison (not all the time...but way more often then Houston).

There's no such thing as a typical Texas heatwave. It's hot and humid every day in the summer in Texas.............

Exactly - every summer day is a heatwave day in Texas.

Once again, I've got no problem with a little climate control.