The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

Tell you what:

Cadets/Blue Devils, etc can go out and do a small arena tour kind of like Brass Theater did it's first year, and add whatever they want. Then they can be a "drum corps", "educational performing ensemble" or "Little Timmy's Drum, Horn and Kazoo Show".

Additionally, your examples are one-time only, special concerts...and that's their draw.

Adding woodwinds into DCI isn't just a special performance...it's permanent. Nor will it do anything but make the activity just like every other marching band out there. The draw is far less when you can go see your kid play in a marching band down the road a few miles.

Adding woodwinds = not drum corps.

...although, perhaps in the sense of the molto artistico, "Up With People", gotta-be-progressive lingo, I guess it could be "drum corps".

Here's a good point. If DCI member organizations want to use wws, let them do it outside the competitive forum. They can still field a competitive drum corps and do things with wws elsewhere.

I have no desire to change the sheets, I want to see woodwinds and electronics purely for the effect that they add to the show. As I see it, corps could be rewarded for excellent use of these instruments in the GE captions. These captions are already designed so that a corps can maximize its score with just brass, drums, and guard, so I believe the use of woodwinds or electronics would remain optional.
I disagree with this. As soon as wws become part of GE, the score will be used to reflect it. Corps X gets higher GE because of the added color from wws. It has already happened with amps, technically optional equipment, where judges have told corps they should be using amps.

does a flute, clarinet, or oboe TO THE BOX look as BAD### as a hornlines? i think not, get the bell up to the box without screwing up your posture.

Nah, in practice. I'm sorry, but amps and/or the key of the instrument are not going to affect a show that much as far as placement goes. If Carolina Crown (just the first one that popped into my head) had chosen to use G instruments and no amps this past year, do you really think their show would have scored or placed lower? It's the same for any corps. It's a choice, and it's time for people who think that corps are hamstrung or somehow forced into using B-flat horns/amps because insert whatever reason fits your point here to stop being so hysterical about this, IMO. I understand your frustration, but it would help if you took a step back from time to time, and consider what reasons, other than force, would make a corps choose to use amps or B flat instruments. :)

And I'm saying this as somebody completely opposed to woodwinds in DCI and drum corps in general.

Then why are judges telling corps they should be using "optional" equipment.

does a flute, clarinet, or oboe TO THE BOX look as BAD### as a hornlines? i think not, get the bell up to the box without screwing up your posture.

Somebody will design a flute scoop?????

I was not aware that there was a case for woodwinds in DCI.

flute scoop? that would look interesting, but then again, so would................nevermind, not gonna go there.

I think it was the visual part being referred to :P Besides, don't woodwinds project in a fairly even sphere as opposed to the mostly directional projection of brass instruments?