Why are most of the proposals from the "Big 3"?

I just looked at Hoppy's blog...trying to find reason behind his proposals this year.

Not one post. At all. The comments had one guy go after him about it, and he basically blew him off.

This is radical change for George.

Come on George, we wanna know some rationale other than your usual canned answers.

Just speculating...

Who has the time to think about rules changes?

a. A part time director who has his hands full keeping all the plates spinning (even in the "off season") just so that his corps can come out again next year or

b. A full time director who just finished another successful year and is taking a well deserved short breather around the end of August or beginning of September and who might have a little extra time available just because he is full time. (Note that the deadline for submitting proposals is September 15th.)

Not the whole answer but, IMO, a contributing factor.

here's one...why wont someone outside those three throw up a counter proposal?

I find it interesting that the perpetual top three are finally getting questioned. I also find it interesting that the last time a non-cadet/cavie/bd drum corps won outright was 1991. As far as the reasoning behind the proposals is concerned, I find the top three to have legit reasoning behind their requests. I can't argue that any of the changes are going to help the majority of drum corps. The 150 member will provide fifteen more opportunities to young folks. Most drum corps have trouble filling their ranks of 135 with nothing but talent. So, I imagine it will make things more difficult to clean. Oh well, more people in drum corps equals more work for instructors. When the water hose hits at the end of the season I imagine horn lines will sound about as big as they do now.

The two GE judges instead of one music, one visual will force visual judges to keep their music skills sharp. If you don't stay in the music how can you possibly assess the relationship to the visual? I think some people will be really bad a judging this way, and other guys, like Clarke Williams, already do it. If you don't know who Clarke is, he sings the commentary with the drum corps on the tapes. It's great. I'd like to take it a step further by adding feet in the sound to the visual performance sheet. If you're judging a drum corps that looks great, but sounds like they're jumping on locked knees, then someone needs to let the vis staff know that the technique isn't working. It's music on the move.

This brings me to the proposal concerning moving the field visual judge to the stands. Sigh. This would be an effective way for less talented visual staffs to compete with really skilled professionals. I know the paying audience is in front, but every spectator matters. There are always kids forging their drum corps dreams from the concession stand lines in the end zones of most shows. That's why I won't stop until the drill is clean from all sides. I'm sure there are kids I used to teach with recollections of me standing on goal posts, and various other screwy vantage points. I just don't see the fun in cleaning from the front only. Maybe the guy who proposed it is trying to get rid of his field staff, or his tubas can't march. I don't know. I don't see the judges as a distraction, but I'm used to people flying in and out of the drill. C'mon, they wear green shirts. Maybe we can use the "first down" technology from tv footbal to remove them on the dvd.

Lastly, I'll address the counter proposals. There's a 311 lyric that sums it up. "To go against for its own sake.. You're still controlled by the course that the other man takes." It's from a song called "Reconsider Everything". Changes aren't always good, but they are always going to happen. Always. So, be involved and steer them the way you want them to go.

And remember.. The traditionalists always give way to change. That's the only thing that never changes.

later on,

Jason Bentley

Just speculating...

Who has the time to think about rules changes?

a. A part time director who has his hands full keeping all the plates spinning (even in the "off season") just so that his corps can come out again next year or

b. A full time director who just finished another successful year and is taking a well deserved short breather around the end of August or beginning of September and who might have a little extra time available just because he is full time. (Note that the deadline for submitting proposals is September 15th.)

Not the whole answer but, IMO, a contributing factor.

Well since I do know a full time director and interact with him on a semi-regular basis, howzabout I let you know if I ever hear about him taking a "well deserved short breather around the end of" ANY month in the year? I haven't seen it happen yet. By observation, there isn't any "downtime" scheduled into the DCI year. They go directly into PR work with schools and band associations around the country.

Most full time jobs I know of (either in or out of drum corps) are STILL full time jobs and don't have much "down time" at all.

Stef

the leaders of the "top 3" are obviously the most inovative leaders in the activity, hence, most initiatives for change will come from them. Those three corps (plus the likes of SCV, Phantom, and Star) have pretty much defined what modern drum corps standards are... yes it is a shame that no other corps seem to have voices in the matter, or care to have a voice, but like i said, these corps are the ones that have consistantly taken the next step, and will continue to do so.

Edited by LoveSOS