THE Ohio State Marching Band

of course people will think you are the best when you claim you are the best......don't get me wrong, they are good....but most of it is HYPE.....to have played with some of the various people that have marched there thru the years, I can honestly that their talent pool isn't the greatest....... college band is too difficult to have a #1 band and people just need to enjoy the traditions that the bands bestow up their universities and fottbal games.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College marching band is ALL about school spirit and hype, not saying most don't also play and march well.

So yeah, I don't know why anybody's taking those phrases seriously. I bet almost all the big sports schools have phrases and traditions like that within the university, including the marching and pep bands.

I am not a big fan of college marching bands as compared to drum corps, but I agree that some of our DCP posters are indeed being a bit elitist. Try to remember these KIDS do NOT have the luxury of practicing 12 hours per day, performing the same show 40 times, so YES their feet may be a little dirty.

I would also point out that this one MARCHING BAND plays in front of more people in a season than will ALL DCI corps combined in a year. They will have thousands of OSU BAND fans attend their pregame session hours before the game. They will also sell more CDs and DVDs than will any single corps...and that is a fact.

Let's give them credit for being the great musical organization they are.

I am not a big fan of college marching bands as compared to drum corps, but I agree that some of our DCP posters are indeed being a bit elitist. Try to remember these KIDS do NOT have the luxury of practicing 12 hours per day, performing the same show 40 times, so YES their feet may be a little dirty.

I would also point out that this one MARCHING BAND plays in front of more people in a season than will ALL DCI corps combined in a year. They will have thousands of OSU BAND fans attend their pregame session hours before the game. They will also sell more CDs and DVDs than will any single corps...and that is a fact.

Let's give them credit for being the great musical organization they are.

They also have an extensive alumni band association with not just one group in Ohio, but with a few across the country. Last summer the west coast group, along with some from Ohio went on tour together to Alaska.

My former corps director is very active in the group, he plays Eb alto horn.

I don't have one favorite college band over another, and I usually enjoy most college half time shows. THough I must say the small portions they showed Monday night of both bands did not do either band justice.

I think it should be natural for those not involved with Ohio's band to be put off by any band claiming to be the best. After all, a large portion of us performed in marching bands ourselves. I wouldn't mind so much, but there are way too many people that worship the ground that band walks on - just check out the marching band planet site (pretty sure at least one moderator is an OSU band member).

At least "The Best #### Band in the Land" is slightly better than Southern California's "The Greatest Marching Band in the History of the Universe."

Most of the college marching bands I can think of attatch some sort of "best" or "finest" moniker to their name. For example, the University of Illinois band makes the claim that it is the "nation's premiere marching band" because, apparently, John Phillip Sousa made that comment after hearing them play. (I dare say he'd retract the statement today.) When the Northwestern band (known ignominously as NUMB) was directed by the legendary John Paynter, it was grandly styled the best marching band in the nation. The list goes on....

College bands are all about tradition, light entertainment and a good time. So what if they have a few members out of step or if the contras weren't completely in tune on that diminished 7th chord in the 19th bar of some graduate assistan's arrangement of "National Emblem". They practice for a couple of hours a week and learn a new show for every game and have a great time doing it. And should a few drunk, rowdy frat boys and football-crazed locals stay in their seats during half-time, I doubt they're paying much attention to spacing errors or criticizing bad flutter tongue technique. "Dude, did you see the freakin' interval problems in that file? Those 2nd trombones totally sucked." "Totally. And check out the inconsistent upper body carriage on those oboes."

Most of the college marching bands I can think of attatch some sort of "best" or "finest" moniker to their name. For example, the University of Illinois band makes the claim that it is the "nation's premiere marching band" because, apparently, John Phillip Sousa made that comment after hearing them play. (I dare say he'd retract the statement today.) When the Northwestern band (known ignominously as NUMB) was directed by the legendary John Paynter, it was grandly styled the best marching band in the nation. The list goes on....

College bands are all about tradition, light entertainment and a good time. So what if they have a few members out of step or if the contras weren't completely in tune on that diminished 7th chord in the 19th bar of some graduate assistan's arrangement of "National Emblem". They practice for a couple of hours a week and learn a new show for every game and have a great time doing it. And should a few drunk, rowdy frat boys and football-crazed locals stay in their seats during half-time, I doubt they're paying much attention to spacing errors or criticizing bad flutter tongue technique. "Dude, did you see the freakin' interval problems in that file? Those 2nd trombones totally sucked." "Totally. And check out the inconsistent upper body carriage on those oboes."

Contras? Oboes??? What bands are you watching?? :P