THE Ohio State Marching Band

I hate to have to say this about my alma mater but, sadly, the above statement is no longer true. The School of Music and, particularly, the instrumental program are among the best in the nation but the marching band has fallen on hard times. Now, when the band was directed by John P. Paynter they could compete with just about anybody and were, as mentioned by the poster, very entertaining. With his retirement and subsequent death, the air seems to have gone out of the program.

Why is that? Did the rest of the school of music just not care about the marching band the way Paynter did? Is it one of those things where school of music administrators are too "uppity" for marching band?

BTW I know the NW fight song well, my high school used it as its fight song.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sally, Sally, Sally. As much as I love you and I like UofM. The only time UofM has any real power is when they aren't marching.

Steve, who wants real power? For that, go to the traditionally African-American colleges. They'll give you real power. Not much intonation or technique, but real power.

U of M has power, style and they march and play well, too!

And as far as Texas high schools - sorry - Indiana high schools have you beat.

Ahhhh...Tennessee marching band.......you must love Rocky Top and War Chant!?! :beer:

Yeah, the Pride of the Southland Band is good; I also like their pregame and the formation of the "T". As for Ohio State and Michigan, I really don't care for them. I just think they're alright to me. Other college bands I like are:

MDB (Univ. of Alabama)

UGA (very loud band!)

FSU

Auburn

LSU (one of the best fight songs in the country!)

Marching 100 (Florida A&M - not only can they get down, but also has a great sound!!! They play more than just music on the radio.)

Michigan State Univ. (nice, clean sound. One of the best in the Big Ten)

Goin' Band from Raiderland (Texas Tech)

Showband of the Southwest (Univ. of Texas)

Marching Southerners (Jacksonville State University)

Notre Dame

Band of Blue (MTSU - this band can get down).

Mighty Sound of the South (Univ. of Memphis - I'm an alumn :))

Edited by gbell211

And as far as Texas high schools - sorry - Indiana high schools have you beat.

Really? I guess Texas bands winning the music caption at BOA Grand National's 9 times(6 different bands) to

Indiana bands 0 music caption wins at GN's doesn't put Texas over the top :beer: .

I've got to disagree with you, Indiana is definitely in second place, outside of Indy(Carmel, CG, LC, Avon) the quality of indiana bands just

doesn't compare to the more rural bands of Texas either.

Hmmmmm......I'm an alumnus of the Univ of Michigan, I gotta say, beyond the band's pregame entrance onto the field and the Victors (THE best college fight song, sorry, domer), I have never thought the marching band was even in the top half of the Big Ten. Sorry. I luv their symphonic bands, etc (free concerts are great!), but, as much as it KILLS ME to say it, OSU and MSU marching bands are quite a bit better, IMO. I'm not questioning the effort of the members, no disrespecting the kids. It's just that the OSU and MSU staffs seem to know how to put a better product on the field, due to better arranging, presentation, etc.

P.S. Has anybody noticed that they upped the tempo of the Victors recently? If you listen to a version from the '80's and then from today, the difference is very noticeable.

Yeah, the Pride of the Southland Band is good; I also like their pregame and the formation of the "T". As for Ohio State and Michigan, I really don't care for them. I just think they're alright to me. Other college bands I like are:

MDB (Univ. of Alabama)

UGA (very loud band!)

FSU

Auburn

LSU (one of the best fight songs in the country!)

Marching 100 (Florida A&M - not only can they get down, but also has a great sound!!! They play more than just music on the radio.)

Michigan State Univ. (nice, clean sound. One of the best in the Big Ten)

Goin' Band from Raiderland (Texas Tech)

Showband of the Southwest (Univ. of Texas)

Marching Southerners (Jacksonville State University)

Notre Dame

Band of Blue (MTSU - this band can get down).

Mighty Sound of the South (Univ. of Memphis - I'm an alumn :))

As an Alumnus of the Band of Blue, Thanks! In my opinion we are the best band for the amount of time we rehearse.... 3 days a week for an hour and a half.... we are just loaded with a lot of talent (see: two collegiate Pasic championships in the two times we have competed) We are also probably the best unknown band.... fortunately since our football team is getting better, you might be seeing and hearing us more... P.S. its rare for a Band of Blue Halftime to get less applause then the home team at our away games.

For those of you unaware of the Band of Blue. here is the 2000 show at Contest of Champions (a long running high school marching band competition that MTSU holds) Band of Blue

2004 MTSU Pasic line
Edited by SWEuph04

Why is that? Did the rest of the school of music just not care about the marching band the way Paynter did? Is it one of those things where school of music administrators are too "uppity" for marching band?

What's wrong with that? Maybe it's more than a coincidence that Northwestern doesn't put so much emphasis on their marching band (unlike other schools who FORCE their music majors to be in them!) and the fact that Northwestern has one of the best public university music programs in the nation.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

the only schools i know that FORCE people into band are music EDUCATION majors.... how can you teach marching band if you haven't been in marching band after high school?

in 2004 the marching thunder of marshall U joined The Ohio University MArching band together at halftime for an american tribute, It was definatly one of my favorite colligate moments, 550 or so playing members playing america the beautiul (i think, i'd have to find my music folder) now that was somthing. 100,000 fans applauding couldn't be wrong