Hrothgar's DCI Wakeup Topic

Wait, what? 2006 is one of the best DCI years ever. Besides, Bluecoats 2006 is drum corps how it used to be, and amazing show at that. :)

2006 Best ever? Dude, come on! Your young and you've missed some great shows/years. You must get out more. A little piece of advice. Go live the dream, because if you don't ur going to be a strange little dude one day.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2006 Best ever? Dude, come on! Your young and you've missed some great shows/years. You must get out more. A little piece of advice. Go live the dream, because if you don't ur going to be a strange little dude one day.

God forbid I have an opinion different from yours!

Yes, 2006 was one of the best years ever, along with 1984, 1989, 1992, 2003...and because I like a certain year you think I'm going to be a "strange little dude"? Please be respectful.

• 1 month later...

I'm mainly just reviving this topic since I don't really want to start a new thread for the sake of talking about a random show, and that's essentially what this thread was previously used for.

I just came home and while eating, decided to put on my '96 VHS tape. Hadn't watched the second tape in a while. I was compelled to go on DCP and mention to everyone that Magic '96 is an unbelievable show, if you've never seen it before. The introduction to the show is one of the most incredible beginnings to a show that I've ever seen. The entire music book is probably one of the most maturely written (and performed, at times) repertoires that I can remember a corps playing. It has the fun and uniqueness of shows like their '94 and '90 programs, but as mentioned before, the maturity of a corps that was poised to make a long-term finals run (and had been up there for years beforehand). Visual GE wasn't too bad either; without forcing an awkward narrative down the audience's throats, they still effectively conveyed the aura and wonder associated with the flight of the Wright brothers. Obligatory comment about it being a shame that they're not around. They really did spend a good chunk of the 90's being at the forefront of the progression of design in DCI. Really interesting to consider, especially when you think about how rare it is that a corps placing in the lower ranks of the top 12 goes about being more progressive and innovative within programming than the higher placing corps. Throughout the years, you really don't see that too often in the activity.

For what its worth, the Xmen '96 show came on afterwards, and that really is an extremely cool way to start a show. I've really enjoyed the whole opener, from the complicated rhythmic patterns in the drumline, to the initial horn entrance; the whole feel of the opener is really unique and likable.

edit - I hate Birdland.

Edited by Jared_mello

Don't forget Crown 96 - the chess show - very cool stuff if you haven't seen it.

Different, but that used to be what Crown was known for, up until they reinvented themselves circa 2002.

If you want some really wild stuff - check out older Glassmen - I think it was the 1992 show (the childhood one) where they had kites out on the field.

edit - I hate Birdland.

I remmember everyone joking about x-men, "Don't mess with us, or we'll play Birdland again!"