Serenade In Brass

Valveless or one valve? (forgot to put this in the earlier post) Was trying to tell horn voice by mouthpiece size (only way I can guess the early horns) but was too far up and at a bad angle. Interesting how some of them appeared to be brass finish.

Yeah, I'm nutzy cuckoo for old horns and the sound they make. :blink:

I didn't notice any lacquered ones, but I did see that they were single piston, but I didn't see any rotors on the ones I could see, so I'm assuming slides.

I could hear them from where I was sitting and it was a neat effect. Seemed like an, as loud sound without the boom or edge of the newer horns. I was expecting some shrillness if there were french horns, but there was none.

I agree with the, "playing to the room", mentioned in another post. It's hard not to get excited and let it loose and certainly the drums never reign it in so that drives the volume up. I don't think anyone did any overblowing because the sound was good, it's just that sometimes there is too much sound and the room can't handle it. You get a weird muffled effect that is still very loud, but there is no distinction to it. Sort of like the sound coming off the back walls is crashing into the new sounds coming off the stage and the audience is caught in the middle.

Maybe an expert can describe the effect better, but it does exist and it is weird. That said, Bridgemen and Cabs definitely put out the most sound and it was thrilling none the less.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't notice any lacquered ones, but I did see that they were single piston, but I didn't see any rotors on the ones I could see, so I'm assuming slides.

I could hear them from where I was sitting and it was a neat effect. Seemed like an, as loud sound without the boom or edge of the newer horns. I was expecting some shrillness if there were french horns, but there was none.

I should have just said brass instead of brass finish as the brass horns didn't appear to be lacquered. :rolleyes: Couldn't see the chrome/silver ones well enough.

Thanks for all the responses, have a couple of one valve Baris including a Tenor Bari that looks a lot like the horns being used. The sound Marty described could also include my horn as it does have a duller sound.

Irony is a few months ago I posted about using older horns or Gs in a Bb line. Just never thought of using horns this old. :)

The female Mellophone soloist with the Cabs? I think Pete said her name was Michelle? WAY TO GO !!! Beautiful, just beautiful !!!

:rolleyes: Her name is Laura Michelle Stevens, Lead mello for the Hawthorne Caballeros since 2003. Yes, she is beautiful - and her solo is a total extension of her Caballero Pride! And we are checking the facts, but she is either the fourth or fifth female Caballero solist. The last was 1999.

note to Laura: yeah, I know - I sound like a proud mother :blink:

Thank you Marianne and Chris, everyone on here, and everyone that stopped me after the show. It's an incredible honor to have this solo, not only as a Caballero, but as a female.

And Marianne is my own personal cheerleader and I lover her for that.

Michele,

I have a similar situation with the Yankee Rebels. I am the soprano soloist and I also have the honor of representing them with pride also as a female! I am always humbled by the experience. Tip of the shako (or, sombrero) to you!

Robbie Ellis

Laura Michele', but it's ok. Caballeros have always been known for screaming soloists and the 'boys' club. But I was told last night I'm just one of the guys anyway. Which I take as a compliment.

Laura Michele,

Sorry I messed up your name! BTW, I know all about the soprano "all-boys club". I think the Rebels have considered me one of the boys for awhile now and it is a compliment.

Robbie

Thank you Marianne and Chris, everyone on here, and everyone that stopped me after the show. It's an incredible honor to have this solo, not only as a Caballero, but as a female.

And Marianne is my own personal cheerleader and I lover her for that.

Well heck (now I'm showing my age again) when I first started with this madness there weren't any women at all in the Cabs, let alone playing horn, let alone playing solos!

VERY nice job though!