I think the Madison Scouts should play Slaughter this year.

... I would love for drum corps to go back to playing more old school stuff and I'm 16. I would love to see/hear Scouts play Slaughter and I think that the staff they have in place is great. I've talked to some Scouts alumni that admitted that they had their doubts at first, but once they met the people they are really excited about what is being done with the organization. I would also love to hear Scouts to Strawberry Soup, Malaguena, Malaga, (of course I'm not talking all these songs in the same year). I think it would be really cool if Scouts did a "classic" once in a while and the rest of the show be new stuff in the same style...

-Weedy

That's cool that you're a younger person in the activity and you appreciate the old school stuff. And thanks for the indirect compliment, btw, cuz I played both "Slaughter on

10th Ave." and "Strawberry Soup" in 1982. I got to play Malaguena with the alumni corps, and that was very cool as well.

I think (IMO) that the deal with playing "classics" is that if you keep bringing them out over and over, they aren't classic anymore... they are just "re-hashes." Of course, I

think most of the classic Madison tunes got better and better over the years, but again that's just IMO.

The issue to me is that the complexity of music now days just doesn't lend itself to the classic pieces a corps has played in it's past. Finding a decent melding of new

"classics" played with the certain flair a corps has become known for is the big challenge with ALL corps. Drumlines play with 50x more expression than we EVER did back

in the "low and control" days, and they should never go back to the "old school way" having come so far from it. I can't speak for hornlines, but it's probably the same.

I am in agreement with people who say "I just don't want to hear (insert classic corps piece here) played every year over and over" ... but at the same time I'm always

in favor of the right arrangement of ANY piece being put out to see what it can do for the crowd and judges at the same time, which is key.

I wish we could have played Strawberry Soup

with the Reunion Corps this past summer.

You know, Jeff, early on in the development of the project I thought I was told that "Soup" was going to be part of the Medley, but I guess it just didn't work out. It's funny cuz I was hoping we'd do a little bit of "MacArthur Park" since Chris Metzger was in... so I guess we all had our hopefuls!

Alumni corps effing rocked and it it's really hard (if not impossible) to complain about not having Strawverry Soup. :doh:

-Weedy

Thanks again, Weedy. A nice compliment for sure... greatly appreciated! It feels good knowing folks your age thought we were cool, too, and not just a bunch of geezers.

(of course... a few of the guys that just aged out a few years ago and marched in the alumni corps would not appreciate that implication, either! :doh: )

Edited by GGarrett

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again, Weedy. A nice compliment for sure... greatly appreciated! It feels good knowing folks your age thought we were cool, too, and not just a bunch of geezers.

(of course... a few of the guys that just aged out a few years ago and marched in the alumni corps would not appreciate that implication, either! :lol: )

Haha I subscribed to seasonpass so that I could watch the Southeastern Championship and ended up getting to see the alumni corp on semi-finals night. It was wild. The other day I went to Bryan Hughes' (contra player in the alumni corp... marched in '84, '87, '88) restaurant and we watched the show on surround soud with the volume up. It was really great to get a commentary on the people and everything... I've been a huge Scouts/Spirit fan since I started following the corps. My trumpet teacher taught me to like the older school stuff a lot more than most people my age do. I'm one of those anti-amp/electric instrument people. I wish I had seen shows during the g bugles days.

-Weedy

(of course... a few of the guys that just aged out a few years ago and marched in the alumni corps would not appreciate that implication, either! :lol: )

please. you're one of the coolest guys on this forum even if you are old[er]

~>conner

please. you're one of the coolest guys on this forum even if you are old[er]

~>conner

b**bs

hey thank you, conner... that made my day! And I appreciate the compliment from you. Back at ya...

I'm 15 and I love the 80s and 90s Madison Scouts stuff, and pretty much all the other corps. And I think if I saw Madison's 03 show live, I would probably die right there and be happy. And seeing them do Kasmir is going to be awesome.

But they won't, and in its place they might pick something new that's much, much worse.

Just saying.

In other words....to paraphrase...

Sorry, but there's no possible way I can enjoy a show with-out narration "Slaughter on 10th Avenue".

:P

Ok I agree that the first post of this thread was a little pointless, but I disagree with this statement. I would love for drum corps to go back to playing more old school stuff and I'm 16. I would love to see/hear Scouts play Slaughter and I think that the staff they have in place is great. I've talked to some Scouts alumni that admitted that they had their doubts at first, but once they met the people they are really excited about what is being done with the organization. I would also love to hear Scouts to Strawberry Soup, Malaguena, Malaga, (of course I'm not talking all these songs in the same year). I think it would be really cool if Scouts did a "classic" once in a while and the rest of the show be new stuff in the same style. The thing I find ironic is the quote in hrothgar15's signature and the Cadets sign in hte profile picture go under the same name.

-Weedy

Why? I'm 53, and I would not care to see corps drag old stuff when there are so many tunes not done to death...esp the Malag -uena -a tunes. I can go just fine with NEVER hearing them again on the field, other than by the alumni corps, where it's great.

Why? I'm 53, and I would not care to see corps drag old stuff when there are so many tunes not done to death...esp the Malag -uena -a tunes. I can go just fine with NEVER hearing them again on the field, other than by the alumni corps, where it's great.

"Slaughter Redux":

Do it. Maleguena also. On "G BUGLES"!!!!!!! :worthy:

Elphaba

Ah, another senseless thread filled with no information to support this topic. I mean seriously Hrothgar, do you have any basis for your complaints with the new Madison design staff? If you do, I would love to hear it

Given the changes at Scouts and the influence of those associated with the MSARP, I wasnt really surprised to read their concept announcement informing us there would in fact be an element of Classic Madison in this years show. But "Slaughter"? Eh, not so much. (IMO) Snippets of it, little quotes of that and "Malaguena" would be cool but they have been done and its time to let them rest for a few more years. If they are actually going to reprise Scout repertoire Id prefer to see stuff that hasnt been already such as "God Bless the Child" or "Bohemian Rhapsody" (or anything from the 79 show!)

Again, I can't wait to see and hear Kashmir!

Still, someday I would like to see them play "Ding-Dong, the Witch is dead!"

just for old time's sake. :P

Kashmir I'm sure has been considered many times over the years by Program Coordinators. It will be tough to pull off but I have a feeling that John Georgeson is the one who can do it.

Right with you Jeff on Ding Dong! The difficulty however in reprising music that old is that Mellophones are not good stand ins for French Horns.

Edited by Scerpella