Europe video's again!

It's cool and all, but even the top groups seem like div 2/3 finalists (NOT a bad thing - just a point of reference).

Is the marching culture significantly different in Europe?

Do they spend a comparable amount of time in rehearsal?

Do they tour like American corps?

Are the age-limits in place? (I swear I saw a guy in a pit that looked like he was at least in his late 20s)

Why don't more European corps tour in the U.S.? (granted now it is more difficult than ever, but I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 of those groups in this country - and even then the corps seemed smaller then)

Not trying to be rude, I honestly don't know anything about DCE.

It's cool and all, but even the top groups seem like div 2/3 finalists (NOT a bad thing - just a point of reference).

Are the age-limits in place? (I swear I saw a guy in a pit that looked like he was at least in his late 20s)

Why don't more European corps tour in the U.S.? (granted now it is more difficult than ever, but I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 of those groups in this country - and even then the corps seemed smaller then)

You may not have been trying....but.

Why don't more European corps tour in the U.S.?

You could completely reverse that statement too.

Same reason more U.S. corps don't tour Europe: too expensive.

http://www.drumcorpseurope.org/Resources/pdf/manual.pdf

...as far as I know, in DCE competition...there is no age limit. The specifics of DCN, DCUK and others might differ...some have limits on how many "older" members you can have. I think at one time Cainan (a former moderator here) was part of a DCUK corps.

It's a great circuit with some entertaining shows...in recent years there's been a big upswing in the talent level and design from a lot of units. Some (like the Thai marching bands a few days ago) may ape the current trends/music over here, though.

Edited by bawker

I love Jubal.

~>conner

The amount of rehearsal time is very little compared to US Corps. My corps (Beatrix') rehearses every Saturday and Wednesday-evenings. I know also rehearses two, or sometimes three days a week. But outside the top 4 (Beatrix, Senators, Jubal and Northern Star) all the other corps have even shorter rehearsaltimes.

The marching culture (as of marchintechnique) is the same, but not as good as in the US. We don't have the time to learn march in 16ths, with this amount of time we're happy if everyone uses straight legs.

There are no age limits. In 2006 I believe our oldest member (tuba) was 45.

Touring in the US is very expensive, but you can expect to see the European corps come every now and then.

no, there's a few competitions in the summer, a season break in august and finals are in late september. Touring europe for three months would be awsome, but it's pratically impossible. First and last, gas prices. If it's expensive in the US, it's even more in Europe.