The First Jazz Run

Almost forgot, we even called it a jazz step when I was in high school in the mid 80's.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say that it was a short corps with a tall writer that started the jazz step. :P

This is definately a technique that's way overused and looks horrid from the spectator's angle. Most of the time that it's used a simple extension of the leg would suffice.

What about a 4 to 5? Not using a jazz run for a 4 to 5 and bigger would result in some pretty poor technique.

paragraph 7 of that linked article from z:

"The corps marched a slow tempo, with a chest-high knee raise alternating with a prance step, accompanied by an exaggerated arm swing. They were

even known to skip while playing. The band's wooden soldier routine in which the members marched stiff-leggedly as toy soldiers; the swaying march

to 'High Lily'; the skipping to 'Orpheus' and the traditional 'Waltzing Matilda', their signature exit, never failed to arouse audiences."

:laugh:

I'm feeling a little aroused myself...

Edited by GGarrett

I was going to say that it was a short corps with a tall writer that started the jazz step. :P

This is definately a technique that's way overused and looks horrid from the spectator's angle. Most of the time that it's used a simple extension of the leg would suffice.

Please tell me you're kidding. It's next to impossible, no, actually it IS impossible to march a 4-to-5 or bigger without jazz running.

Not if you're 6'10" or so.....for someone like me -- 5' 4 1/2" -- not so much...

That's you're problem, Sam. :P

Actually, my normal stride is right around 36" and I'm just under 6 feet tall.

But to answer the original question:

At higher tempos, yeah--I can see the usefulness of the jazz step. I do know that many have used it when I just wasn't needed and that's in top 6+ corps that have had very good reviews here in the DCI forums.

What about a 4 to 5? Not using a jazz run for a 4 to 5 and bigger would result in some pretty poor technique.

Still looks bad, IMO.

Please tell me you're kidding. It's next to impossible, no, actually it IS impossible to march a 4-to-5 or bigger without jazz running.

Hmm...if my calculator is correct, that would be a 45 inch stride, only an added 9 inches to my normal step. I thinks it's do-able. Maybe not at 200+ BPM, tho :laugh: But I never said it shouldn't be used--just over used.

Edited by ravedodger

Hmm...if my calculator is correct, that would be a 45 inch stride, only an added 9 inches to my normal step. I thinks it's do-able. Maybe not at 200+ BPM, tho :laugh: But I never said it shouldn't be used--just over used.

Marching a 4-to-5 with a straight leg technique would probably be the most awkward thing anyone could do their bodies. No competent drill writer would ever write step sizes that big unless it's at a fast tempo. Either way, I think corps know what they're doing. That's just a silly notion and thing to complain about, corps "jazz running" too much. I think some don't do it enough.