The First Jazz Run

There were jazz runs (defined as "toe first, outstep-lead" run) as far back as Suncoast Sound 1986. I specifically remember when Karl Lowe first taught the sections of the hornline that needed to do it exactly how it was to be done. If any corps used it before that, I'd be surprised.

(A lot of things used today came out of that corps...including the placed-foot direction change style commonly used today).

We did with Sky Ryders in 85. IIRC, Madison did some in 83 or 84 as well.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So true! I know 27th Lancers guard did some Jazz Runs back in the late '70s and early '80s. However, I could be wrong but I think it was Garfield Cadets in the Zingali years, with all their "Spaghetti" like drill that forced the hornline to sprint to their next form.

Although they definitely "booked" during those years, I'm not sure they were technically "jazz runs" as described above. There were winter guards doing jazz runs at that time, particularly Quasar (surprise, surprise).

Although they definitely "booked" during those years, I'm not sure they were technically "jazz runs" as described above. There were winter guards doing jazz runs at that time, particularly Quasar (surprise, surprise).

According to a friend who was in the flag line (and had dance experience) they did do a Jazz Run.

I was under the impression...and I don't remember why...but I thought SCV was either the first to jazz run or the first to go crazy with it...again, it's just a notion...

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was the opposite. From what I was told, SCV used "low walking" or something to that effect. If you watch SCV 89 you can pick out several examples of this - bassically they seem to bend at the knee more so that the shock is absorbed at the knee.

Also, I recall G-men doing a jazz-run in 89.

I second the statement that it is not always necessary to jazz run and that it is overused. However, there are times when everyone except for one or two people in a form are really moving and the staff wants everyone to have uniform technique.

As Spirit introduced more dance into the colorguard in the mid 80's, they began to train the hornline to utlize some of the same things. With Sal Salas writing the drill and Scott Chandler, Tam Easterwood and Sal teaching the guard, it wasn't long before their good friend, Brad Caraway (the visual caption head) had the hornline taking on more and more "dance type" steps in the show. I know that at least in the drum solo in '84 there were a few folks who had to "jazz run" into their sets on a couple of pages and again in '85 there were a couple of extended visual phrases where individuals or small segments of the hornline had to start doing it.

By 1986, there was a full blown "body movement and dance training" going on for the hornline throughout the winter program and we were all bi###ing about it. That bi###ing ended the first time the the crowd reacted to all the extra "body work" in the hornline and some of the velocity generated by the "jazz runs" we'd all been trained all winter to do. If I remember correctly, we also had the highest field visual placement that the corps ever had that summer. :laugh:

I don't think Spirit was the first, but just one of many corps that began to incorporate it about the same time. There were probably many individual marchers that had to utilize it before then, but in general, I think it probably began in the early to mid 80's and was led by the many visual designers who were just incorporating more of the dance training they did with the guards into the hornline.

Just my 2 cents.....

Later, AA

There were jazz runs (defined as "toe first, outstep-lead" run) as far back as Suncoast Sound 1986. I specifically remember when Karl Lowe first taught the sections of the hornline that needed to do it exactly how it was to be done. If any corps used it before that, I'd be surprised.

(A lot of things used today came out of that corps...including the placed-foot direction change style commonly used today).

Our class A corps was doing the placed foot direction change style back in 1984, thought that's the way everyone did it until I joined BAC where did all hard pivots.

Dave

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was the opposite. From what I was told, SCV used "low walking" or something to that effect. If you watch SCV 89 you can pick out several examples of this - bassically they seem to bend at the knee more so that the shock is absorbed at the knee.

Ah yes, you're right! I can see it in my mind, when the hornline turns around to give the first Phantom blast in SCV89, the front line crouches down and runs.

Heh, well I wasn't commenting on how it looked - just that it was what they did for a while.

On the up side their snaps/pivots (maybe flanks is a better word) were simply amazing, and still are for the most part.