The First Jazz Run

At higher tempos, yeah--I can see the usefulness of the jazz step. I do know that many have used it when I just wasn't needed and that's in top 6+ corps that have had very good reviews here in the DCI forums.

Cadets '99. I don't remember where, but there's a whole corps jazz run that clearly could've been marched with a straight leg. I think it was just to make the drill look harder.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what to the person in the stands looks "doable" might not be so much on the field. As for who did it first, I imagine it's been around for longer than most of us might think. Drum corps didn't invent jazz-running, after all, it was invented in dancing, and in turn imported by guards. Even when guards were still largely militaristic, some dance aspects began to float in and one that could be used as a form of marching seems logical to be an early import.

Well, what to the person in the stands looks "doable" might not be so much on the field.

This is a good point.

Marching a 4-to-5 with a straight leg technique would probably be the most awkward thing anyone could do their bodies. No competent drill writer would ever write step sizes that big unless it's at a fast tempo. Either way, I think corps know what they're doing. That's just a silly notion and thing to complain about, corps "jazz running" too much. I think some don't do it enough.

Oh yeah, then there's that weird leg thing.

I'm not complaining. I think it looks bad, when it isn't needed. I never once said that it should NOT be done at 4-5.

Another thing that looks awkward to me is seeing a pivot person straight-legging with step size of like 6 inches. Is that another topic?

Edited by ravedodger

This is a good point.

Yes it is. I wonder if I ever marched. :laugh:

I have to agree with the comments that what looks doable in the stands may be much harder on the field. I learned that while marching.

As far as the length of time it's been around, again, probably much longer than most of us would know. Here we are discussing this corps or that corps, but who knows, it could have been some corps from 1973 that there's no video of, just a thought.

I was under the impression...and I don't remember why...but I thought SCV was either the first to jazz run or the first to go crazy with it...again, it's just a notion...

Hmm...if my calculator is correct, that would be a 45 inch stride, only an added 9 inches to my normal step. I thinks it's do-able. Maybe not at 200+ BPM, tho :laugh: But I never said it shouldn't be used--just over used.

200 ish- which is around what a lot of the top 6 marches most of the time anyway

whenever I've used a jazz run, it didn't necessarily HAVE to be used, but man, I'm glad it was.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

Well, what to the person in the stands looks "doable" might not be so much on the field. As for who did it first, I imagine it's been around for longer than most of us might think. Drum corps didn't invent jazz-running, after all, it was invented in dancing, and in turn imported by guards. Even when guards were still largely militaristic, some dance aspects began to float in and one that could be used as a form of marching seems logical to be an early import.

So true! I know 27th Lancers guard did some Jazz Runs back in the late '70s and early '80s. However, I could be wrong but I think it was Garfield Cadets in the Zingali years, with all their "Spaghetti" like drill that forced the hornline to sprint to their next form.