What would be bigger....

although i agree most football fans go for the team there are some colleges that are known more for the band than their football program such as troy and although their shows may not be as clean as a dci corp they are the best college band ive ever seen heck imo they are just as good as most dci corps

and i would take a medal over dotting the i since troy doesnt have one

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a tuba player in the Ohio State Band, you already know if you're going to be dotting the "I," and once it's dotted, it's done with. As much an honor as it might be, it's over as soon as you do it. You don't get a ring for it, you don't have alumni get-togethers to talk about dotting the "I," you probably don't have "dot the 'I' groupies."

Winning the DCI World Championship is forever in your consciousness and memory.

"See that guy dotting the 'I?' That used to be ME!!!"

Is it harder to get in that band on sousa than the other instruments? I know some pretty bad brass players in their band that only started playing brass the summer before their freshmen year of college.

If you're a tuba player in the Ohio State Band, you already know if you're going to be dotting the "I," and once it's dotted, it's done with. As much an honor as it might be, it's over as soon as you do it. You don't get a ring for it, you don't have alumni get-togethers to talk about dotting the "I," you probably don't have "dot the 'I' groupies."

Winning the DCI World Championship is forever in your consciousness and memory.

"See that guy dotting the 'I?' That used to be ME!!!"

Bingo.

So 100,000 people see you the one time you dot the i, how many are actually in the stadium to watch the band? How many actually care about the band at all?

At every show all season, every regional, every lot warmup, every high school clinic, and every one of those 20-40,000 people at Finals, they are all they to watch you. At drum corps, there is no other activity that is going on that they came to see, and you're just the sideline entertainment. You ARE the reason they are there. And even if 100,000 people at that one football game you get to dot the i really are there to watch you, there are still more than 100,000 during a drum corps season coming to see you. And 20 years later, they will still talk about your show. No one will talk about who dotted the i this year, 20 years from now.

Then explain to me why all the trees in Michigan lean south?

since Ohio is the center of the universe, gravity asserts itself on all michigan trees

Edited by skewerz

I don't think it's the same at all, but then I'm no Ohio fan. I simply don't see doing any college pre-game as comparable to winning DCI.

Ohio - You are the coolest sousa in the land, and maybe a tenth of the drunken crowd even cares. You only share a connection with Ohio alums and Ohio fans.

DCI - You are bad ### under any definition if you even make finals. Sure, you are exposed to less people, but the one's that see you are there for YOU, and really understand and appreciate what it is you're doing. Also, a DCI show is forever, not just one afternoon that everyone but you will forget about. Further more, by being in a corps you have become a part of something that you are a member of for life.

OSU's alumni structure is bigger than anything DCI could hope to put out...there are literally hundreds of thousands of OSU alums wishing they could dot the "i"

Could TBDBITL compare to "the machine" in a show? hell no...while OSU stresses precision to a certain point, they stress tradition and entertainment more...which, sadly, a lot of corps haven't been doing much of lately...

don't get me wrong...if I had to choose between watching TBDBITL and a DCI show, I'd watch DCI...but the OSU band actually has something that DCI has been trying to destroy for the last few years....tradition...and tradition is a pretty big thing in the bible belt midwest...

Wow, for the most part, some excellent responses.

I guess for me... I would like to dot the I, but I base that decision partially on the fact that I have marched a finals. Been there, done that. Heck, I would give anything to just to come down the ramp with OSU for a pregame... or Texas... or Michigan (well, maybe not Michigan!).

As for the argument that people don't come to see the band... I have been to an OSU home game in the Shoe and a Michigan home game in Ann Arbor, and I can safely say that 95% of the people that attend these games will tell you that seeing the marching band take the field for pre-game is part of the overall experience that is college football. Michigan fans go crazy when they hear "Hail to the Victors", and Buckeye fans will proudly make it a point to be in their seats in time for them to see TBDBITL come down the ramp.

In Columbus, I was really taken back by the amount of energy that the band created before the game. It was pure magic, something that I could only equate with a show like Machine or Frameworks. There is a huge difference between 20,000 people going nuts, and 105,000 people going nuts. Drunk or not drunk, they know its there band, and they would back that band just as proudly as they would their football team. And most of them are singing the fight song so dang loud that you can barely hear the band playing.

It's a whole different kind of goosebumps, yet its the same... you know what I mean?

And I have to disagree with Michael Boo (which I don't make a habit of doing), rings don't matter, neither do groupies. What counts is the experience and the fleeting moment for which we encounter that experience. Whether its winning a Championship, marching in finals, marching a script Ohio, making your way down Colorado Blvd. in the Tournement of Roses Parade, or dotting the "I", we are all in it for the experience, which will live on within all of us, forever.

O-HI-O... SING!

A bigger milestone for me? Obviously DCI, but then again, I only just now heard about this dotting the I business.

A bigger milestone for the most amount of people? I'd probably say dotting the gets it, their affiliation with OSU probably makes that event more widely known than all of DCI, but then again, I'm just guessing.

Still, it is ONE drill move on one day. Honestly, you're question would be better phrassed if it stated a comparison between a legendary DCI season (you don't have to win to have the season of a lifetime) or a season with the OSU band during a BCS year.

By comparing dotting the i to winning a ring you're comparing one pre-game to a season of blood, sweat, and tears. By boiling both activities down to a single moment we really miss what makes both of them great in their own venues.

Maybe its because I didn't go to OSU (I have played in a few college bands), but I just don't see what the big deal is about doing that once...in DCI you get 3 months of that. :)