What would be bigger....

And the crowd goes wild...

God ####...I don't know how people play with the tenors up to their armpits.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning the DCI world championships would be an awesome experience, but if you are in DCI to win, I personally think you are there for the wrong reasons.

But think about this, how cool would it be to say "I dotted the I, it was me."

Just a thought...

Technically its Michigan that sucks.

Its the only thing that keep Ohio from falling into Kentucky.

Then explain to me why all the trees in Michigan lean south?

I was gonna post a sarcastic comment about that long history spiel about the dotting of the i, but i decided that would be rude and uncalled for. I applaud you for knowing so much about those traditions. I am assuming you attend Ohio State, and that shows a lot of dedication to their traditions. I personally just dont understand the fascination with a college marching band's drill move. On the other hand, I could spout information off about my Fraternity all day long and many of you would think the same about me. yep...

Edited by davidfromthepit

I was gonna post a sarcastic comment about that long history spiel about the dotting of the i, but i decided that would be rude and uncalled for. I applaud you for knowing so much about those traditions. I am assuming you attend Ohio State, and that shows a lot of dedication to their traditions. I personally just dont understand the fascination with a college marching band's drill move. On the other hand, I could spout information off about my Fraternity all day long and many of you would think the same about me. yep...

Never attended OSU... just a fan. :)

Considering how HUGE Ohio State football is in that part of the country, and considering how difficult it is to get into that band, and considering the tradition of this event going back something like seventy years, I would think to a member of the Ohio State Marching Band, dotting the "i" would qualify as something very much worthy of an unparalleled once-in-a-lifetime thrill. Getting 100,000 people to go nuts doesn't happen every day.

I don't think it's the same at all, but then I'm no Ohio fan. I simply don't see doing any college pre-game as comparable to winning DCI.

Ohio - You are the coolest sousa in the land, and maybe a tenth of the drunken crowd even cares. You only share a connection with Ohio alums and Ohio fans.

DCI - You are bad ### under any definition if you even make finals. Sure, you are exposed to less people, but the one's that see you are there for YOU, and really understand and appreciate what it is you're doing. Also, a DCI show is forever, not just one afternoon that everyone but you will forget about. Further more, by being in a corps you have become a part of something that you are a member of for life.

getting into the OSU marching band is about as hard as getting into a div 1 championship corps...

You're saying that that is the quality of Machine? Hmmm...

On another note, isn't it unfair that only the sousa players get to dot the 'i'? They really ought to open it up to everyone, to give all of the people the experience. :rolleyes:

Winning the DCI world championships would be an awesome experience, but if you are in DCI to win, I personally think you are there for the wrong reasons.

I'm going to make the assumption that you did not make a typo and didn't mean "but if you are in DCI ONLY to win" although if that is someones priority then so be it.

Some people enjoy competition. It doesn't make their reasons for marching more or less wrong or right than anyone else.

But think about this, how cool would it be to say "I dotted the I, it was me."

Just a thought...

I personally think it would be a lot cooler to be able to say "I was the best in the world at something"

I get that dotting the "i" is a big deal and trust me that I have no grudge at all against OSU. How could I, they gave two of the most fun games I've been too and their band was a pleasure to interact with. Two of the classiest and best bands I've met were OSU and Michigan. With that said...

No way would I EVER consider dotting the "i" as big of a deal as even marching finals at DCI. I know I'm not in TBDBITL with all their tradition, but still. The Longhorn Band is a pretty good band (somewhat comparable to OSU) and being a soloist for a couple years was really cool (maybe one soloist a year, versus 12 "i dotters"), but I would still rather march in finals any day. Something like dotting the "i" just doesn't have the same emotional investment as being so proud of a product you've put so much hard work into.

Edited by Fincis