Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

Sorry, but to the non-corps person (99+% of the population), drum corps has never been cool.

I'm going to agree with Mike. Those of us in corps may have thought it cool (certainly a step up from marching band) but, to the average guy, it was and still remains, a rather "geeky" activity.

We spend a tremendous amount of time trying to convince ourselves and others of the viability of drum corps to become mainstream entertainment, complete with nationwide television contracts and sold-out stadiums across the country. In truth, it always has been and will likely remain a niche activity. The sooner we realize such the better off we will be. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't aim for growth, nor should we cease to promote drum corps but, entertaining unrealistic expectations is, in my opinion, more harmful than productive.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to agree with Mike. Those of us in corps may have thought it cool (certainly a step up from marching band) but, to the average guy, it was and still remains, a rather "geeky" activity.

We spend a tremendous amount of time trying to convince ourselves and others of the viability of drum corps to become mainstream entertainment, complete with nationwide television contracts and sold-out stadiums across the country. In truth, it always has been and will likely remain a niche activity. The sooner we realize such the better off we will be. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't aim for growth, nor should we cease to promote drum corps but, entertaining unrealistic expectations is, in my opinion, more harmful than productive.

I really wish people on this board were more like ChicagoFan and MikeD, arguments and conversations would be much more rational and productive. Bravo.

I really wish people on this board were more like ChicagoFan and MikeD, arguments and conversations would be much more rational and productive. Bravo.

Take that advice please.

If since your day, pre-75, the MAJORITY of your friends found it "geeky", and today you still feel that the MAJORITY of people find it "geeky".. then why sell out the people that support it, in favor of making it favorable to others. Even though, if it was "geeky" then and now, with everything that has changed since then, how would we bring in more people without losing the people we have?

Im all for innovation and change, but there's a reason why baseball still has only 9 innings and a non-rocket powered ball, why track-and-field doesn't consist of hurdles with laser-beams, and why Drum Corps doesn't have more shows with giant props, and pyrotechnics, and the like.. Because it wouldn't benefit the sport/program in any way that would justify making a drastic change of that magnitude.

Edited by sobe

Great post!

A short little story for everyone: For my family and friends, I was the driving force behind going to drum corps shows. I'd set up the trips, buy the tickets (they'd pay me back, I'm not wealthy, rich in family and friends, but by no means wealthy), distribute the tickets, etc. A couple of years ago, I couldn't tolerate the changes, read innovation and my perceived lack of respect for the past, anymore, so I decided not to go to any more shows. My friends and family picked up the baton (pun intended) and went without me, which I thought was great. But last year, no one went because they were bored at the previous year's events - I don't know any of the shows from 2005, so I'm not making any judgment calls or anything - I'm simply taking people I've known and loved for years at their word. So, that being said, there are now more than 10 people from just my family and circle of immediate friends that are no longer going to ANY shows at all - and I don't know if this is good or bad (maybe they weren't all that die-hard of fans to begin with, and they were just humoring me), it's simply a fact. And sadly, none of them are going to any shows this year either.

On a personal note, I went through a long mourning period, but I think I'm finally over it and over drum corps. And as has been said on this board in the very recent past - try not to take yourselves too seriously. Enjoy life and everything you do.

And please, before anyone flames me and says that I was not a true fan either, here's my drum corps pedigree: Junior corps - marched and taught; Senior corps - marched, taught, on board of directors. Needless to say, I spent many years of my life in and around drum corps, so yes, I was a true fan.

The Chief

Take that advice please.

If since your day, pre-75, the MAJORITY of your friends found it "geeky", and today you still feel that the MAJORITY of people find it "geeky".. then why sell out the people that support it, in favor of making it favorable to others. Even though, if it was "geeky" then and now, with everything that has changed since then, how would we bring in more people without losing the people we have?

Why do you think DCI is marketing itself to marching band members (e.g. the Marching Music Major League thing) ?

That IS where the marching music fans exist, nice and geeked up already! :P

Mike, If you have already answered this, I apologize, but I just have to ask: How do you expect corps to pay for reeds, or to be able to practice in poor conditions when they have instruments that are as delicate a woodwinds are? Will corps be able to survive with the added expense? Things are pretty tight for most, if not all corps out there already.

Why do you think DCI is marketing itself to marching band members (e.g. the Marching Music Major League thing) ?

That IS where the marching music fans exist, nice and geeked up already! :P

But it really is Marching Music Major League.

Minus the woodwinds.

Rings of fire.

400+ member groups that can only make giant boxes on the field.

etc. etc.

Mike, If you have already answered this, I apologize, but I just have to ask: How do you expect corps to pay for reeds, or to be able to practice in poor conditions when they have instruments that are as delicate a woodwinds are? Will corps be able to survive with the added expense? Things are pretty tight for most, if not all corps out there already.

Marching bands rehearse in all SORTS of bad weather...in a wide variety of seasons. IMO those things can and will be handled.

As I think that change should happen in a new division, any corps that does not want to move to the new division can remain where it is. I think there would only be a few that test the waters anyway.

To the detriment of their instruments, if they're woodwinds. I was in a Marine field band, and when it rained, it was brass only. Replacing all of those pads was ridiculous and impractical. A marching band going on a real DCI-type tour has ways of dealing with that, I'm sure, but it seems like a nightmare to me.

Im all for innovation and change, but there's a reason why baseball still has only 9 innings and a non-rocket powered ball, why track-and-field doesn't consist of hurdles with laser-beams, and why Drum Corps doesn't have more shows with giant props, and pyrotechnics, and the like.. Because it wouldn't benefit the sport/program in any way that would justify making a drastic change of that magnitude.

I'm a traditionalist and all, but you can't make that comparison. Rocket Powered Balls and Laser Beams are quite dangerous. I don't think amplification is that health hazardous.

No one is forcing a drum corps to buy reeds. Plus when bought in large packs, they're quite affordable.

No one is forcing a drum corps to use woodwinds. If you're using delicate woodwinds... and you can't afford it, don't use woodwinds lol.

No one is forcing a drum corps to take on the added expense.

You're mistaking all these changes to be a knife for other corps. When corps used amplifications, we have a good deal of corps that don't even touch amps. They're fine with that. We have an any key instrumentation rule... that's fine. We still had a quite a few corps between 2000-2006 stay on G bugles.

This is a choice thing. These changes are on the limitations on what a corps can or can't use, not a direct requirement to what must be put out there.