Indoor Brass?

What are your (the vast population of this forum) thoughts on the probability of success for an indoor brass circuit. This could be similar to the winter/spring circuits operated by WGI (guard and percussion).

Questions to consider:

1. Do you think there is or could be a resonable demand for this kind of activity?

2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, what kind of circuit do you think would be successful?

3. Give specific ideas about size of indoof "field", grid or no grid on the marching surface, size of performing ensembles, brass only vs. brass with rhythm section (what would fill in the time when horns aren't playing), etc.

4. Anything you can think of that is not in numbers 1, 2, and 3.

Constructive ideas (pro and con) only

Edited by mjjdc

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm misjudging the number of people that would be interested, but I'm thinking that there is not enough interest.

1) Unlike the mass of colorguard and battery members the brass have little trouble staying active in various band related activities - both academic and private.

2) Also, with the rissing costs of marching in the summer - it is all most of us can do to afford to march once a year (though I would expect the price to be less).

3) Additionally, although corps are willing to make exceptions for guards to not go to camps in order to compete in WGI - I do not think many div 1 corps would be happy about letting the hornline skip the winter camps as well.

Blue Knights have had a winter brass ensemble for three years now, and from what I hear, each year has had larger and larger turnouts at auditions.

So far, they've been exhibition only, performing at RMPA (winter percusison) and RMCGA (winter guard) events.

I could see there being a market for a national level circuit, assuming that some other "big name" organizations started ensembles. If Denver can produce enough kids for it, I could see Texas, Ohio, Indiana, California, Florida, the Northeast, etc. cultivating enough interest in their ensembles, too.

Just as WGI started having percussion contests 15 years ago or so, there's no reason they couldn't pick up the winter brass activity, too... I'm sure it would just take enough ensembles around the country to be feasable.

I have thought about this a few times over the years.

Would have to limit numbers to no more than 40 or so, or there is just not enough room on a gym floor.

In Japan they march corps on a grid, mostly indoors, so it's not undoable.

I think in the long run it would benefit corps in that it would probably involve more local kids.

When I marched Regiment in the 80s the majority of the corps was local kids from Rockford and the surrounding areas.

From what I was told last year there were only 3 local kids in the corps

I think it would be intersting to give it a shot, I would go watch.

We are starting one in Wichita right now. Our plan is to have a Blast!-style show that can also be performed in the gymnasium setting to increase our possible performance venues. There has been alot of interest just in the local area by brass players and educational staff. For the first year, we will probably have just brass (i.e., trumpets, mellos/horns, trombones, baris/euphs, tubas), with a possible trap set and/or pit rack to support. In the future, we might add percussion, depending on the desire of the members and staff.

I know there are already other groups out there as well (i.e., Blue Knights, Eos(?) in Michigan, etc.) already performing. I think if we can all hit a crtitical mass, then WGI would show an interest in adding this to their circuit, same as they added percussion in the past. It would be up to the brass groups already up and running to support WGI if they did add winter brass, like the percussion and guard people do right now.

I teach an indoor band, and I can tell you that it's extremely rewarding for the kids and for the staff. We, of course, use woodwinds and brass...and I will tell you that the accoustics are terrible in almost any gym for wind instruments.

Do I think people would like an indoor brass circuit? Absolutely. I don't, however, think they'd be able to really appreciate it because of the wash of the sound in that type of accoustical environment.

INDOOR KAZOO CIRCUIT!

What are your (the vast population of this forum) thoughts on the probability of success for an indoor brass circuit. This could be similar to the winter/spring circuits operated by WGI (guard and percussion).

Questions to consider:

1. Do you think there is or could be a resonable demand for this kind of activity?

2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, what kind of circuit do you think would be successful?

3. Give specific ideas about size of indoof "field", grid or no grid on the marching surface, size of performing ensembles, brass only vs. brass with rhythm section (what would fill in the time when horns aren't playing), etc.

4. Anything you can think of that is not in numbers 1, 2, and 3.

Constructive ideas (pro and con) only

1.) Yes.

2.) Old-school drum corps type circuit. Lots of local groups (I'm sure HS kids in Texas would flock to the things), local circuit. Maybe a feeder system for drum corps--do brass in the summer while in HS, the drum corps when you graduate, etc. Probably not a national tour in that format, but if you want it I think it would be easy to organize.

3.) There's a video of Blast doing Malaguena on google or youtube--check out their floor. Stage size would allow you to do some really cool venues (Carnegie, Meyerson, Bass, etc). Arena/court size allows you to do every major college/pro arena in the country with extra volume to disperse volume. Probably need rhythm--sounds kind of boring without. Although I like the idea of a full battery also. Maybe not 9 snares, 5 tenors, and 5 basses, but more than just a 4-5 member rhythm.

4.) Adds logistical nightmares, but I like the idea of DCI doing this. Post age-out summer competitions, etc. Again, if its local its easy for all you band-O directors to do a couple weeks of rehearsals then a 4-week circuit in your region. Maybe a weekend or one-week national tour in central US? Good way for DC"International" to become more than 16-21 year old USA activity. (take that last statement in context-not dissin')

Good idea/thread! Stay tuned...

It seems that many all-aged mini corps are doing things like this. I know that in my area Minnesota Brass's "Minne-Brass" is a small hornline that goes all year, doing mostly exhibitions and promotional gigs.

I'm sure that if there were other winter hornlines in there area, competition would ensue. It's very plausible. In fact, I've lamented the lack of a winter horn program through my own corps ever since I picked up the mellophone a few years ago.

I've spoken (written) on this in the past. I think one reason DCI won't do it is because it would overtake the current system.

I see going indoor with a full ensemble with horns, drums and color guard. have 3 division based on skill level not size (because all us men know size doesn't matter :wub: ) Limit the overall size to 54 which would be a full bus. It saves money because youhave to support a smaller group. It increases the activity because the cost is lower and more corps can be started.

Think of all the corps that folder because of membership that go still go on with 30-40 members and be competitive.

I'm all for it and hopes someone moves forward....soon.

Something like Blast couldn't be popular!! (sarcasm off). :) Yes I think it could work.