Problems with DCP's media policy

ohbaby

What gives on the media policy of this board? I think that DCP is just a little to weary of what people can and can not post. Here is a perfect example: Someone posted a link to 1987 Garfield footage taken from their home movie camera. The link was subsequently taken down. Why? I wish more people would post some stuff that is rare and hard to come by. I mean I have always wanted to see more footage of the 1987 Garfield. Rehearsals, alternate footage, shows etc.. I mean to see that high cam synchronized with the multi cam was fantastic.

Posting a link to You Tube does not mean we are downloading it, but rather just viewing it. The exposure is what people who either marched or watched these great shows want to see. DCI or the Cadets could care less about the posting. People have posted photos left and right on DCP and no one seems to care. How is this possible when photographers make a living charging for these very photographs?

Until DCI actually releases this footage, which would be impossible considering that they are from a personal camera, let it roll. If DCI did issue a specific statement for DCP Planet to remove it then I would understand.

Memo to DCI, some of us may have marched a corp or alternate performance that you have no intention of releasing on DVD. (Someone posted a video of 1987 Northern Aurora, good for them!) So I feel that I would like to encourage those of you to please keep releasing footage of “here and there and very rare”. DCI there is a market for these products to be released like a high cam of 87 Garfield, please listen, we are pleading and willing to buy these products!

What do you all think?

I'll be happy to answer this question ..... again .... as this question/issue arises every few months.

Our policy on media posts/links/references is NOT one that we created, simply to remove our members ability to view and enjoy performances by current and past corps. The policy defined was required to be put in place and is based on specific issues that surround the unauthorized reproduction and distribution of copyrighted materials.

The DCP Policy may be found HERE .... and a thread that addressed this very issue may be found HERE, if you'd like more insight into the issue of 'lot' or rehearsal videos.

Just to be clear - NO LINKS (or references) to audio or video recordings, other than those specifically provided for public viewing on the corps' or DCI's website, will be permitted on the Drum Corps Planet and affiliated sites' forums. Violations of this policy will be reviewed by the Community Administrator and may result in a member's suspension.

We can all moan and groan about how we'd LIKE to see things be. However, until the law changes or DCI, the individual corps, and the copyright owners provide the permissions required for the reproduction and distribution of their "intellectual properties" - we are forced to maintain the policy as-stated.

Hope this helps your understanding.

I find it amusing that people have a problem with this policy. Here's some good people, hosting a good website for good people. That being said, there are people out there that would innocently post something to share with others, not realizing the legal ramifications that could follow from posting audio/video recordings.

I think people need to remember that this whole copyright scare can be placed back to the early days of Napster, when it was a good site, before Metallica got bent out of shape about their music being on there.

Before that, I don't think it was an issue. Now it is, and that is the world we live in. Our society is so lawsuit happy, and also fearful of these lawsuits, that we must have rules to keep ourselves out of trouble, and honestly, in good standing with people that may post information on here, but would be leery of it if this was just a place for illegal things to happen.

It's a fact of life, not something to worry about or deal with, and if people are really that concerned, I would think they would know their way to youtube and google where these illegal recordings are a dime a dozen.

Just my thought.

John and Rich:

I have no problems with the policy at all. For those of us that like DCP, it would be nice to keep you guys around for a long time. The only issue I have is with how its enforced, namely by a few of the moderators who have done so with a bit of attitude. Customer service is not the forte of some of the moderators, and I think a little more respect for the membership would go a long way. Would it be too much to ask that when a moderator shuts down a post or removes something completely, that a brief, nicely written note be sent to the member explaining why? It doesn't have to be involved, but by doing this and using good customer service, it might help keep some members from going off the wall.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Newseditor44

John and Rich:

I have no problems with the policy at all. For those of us that like DCP, it would be nice to keep you guys around for a long time. The only issue I have is with how its enforced, namely by a few of the moderators who have done so with a bit of attitude. Customer service is not the forte of some of the moderators, and I think a little more respect for the membership would go a long way. Would it be too much to ask that when a moderator shuts down a post or removes something completely, that a brief, nicely written note be sent to the member explaining why? It doesn't have to be involved, but by doing this and using good customer service, it might help keep some members from going off the wall.

Just my two cents.

Just to clear some things up, the message that we send for threads or posts being deleted is the same (a stock message) for every member. It explains that the post/thread was deleted for violating Community Guidelines, it is respectfully worded, and invites the member to direct any and all questions they may have to any of the Forum Support Team via PM.

Also, if you feel you have been given "attitude", or that you have been verbally abused or mistreated in any way by a member of the FST, it's probably best to take the matter directly to Rich or John via PM. Not only does that help follow Community Guidlelines, but it will most likely also result in a quicker reply from both of them if it goes directly to their inboxes.

Thanks,

Lance

Just to clear some things up, the message that we send for threads or posts being deleted is the same (a stock message) for every member. It explains that the post/thread was deleted for violating Community Guidelines, it is respectfully worded, and invites the member to direct any and all questions they may have to any of the Forum Support Team via PM.

Also, if you feel you have been given "attitude", or that you have been verbally abused or mistreated in any way by a member of the FST, it's probably best to take the matter directly to Rich or John via PM. Not only does that help follow Community Guidlelines, but it will most likely also result in a quicker reply from both of them if it goes directly to their inboxes.

Thanks,

Lance

Lance, that's great. But I think you've missed my point. Making the effort to promote better costumer service will pay dividends in the future. Sometimes threads are just closed, with no message sent to the person that orginially started the thread explaining how or why. As frustrating as it is for you to have to keep doing this, its frustrating for us seeing our posts dropped and not explained why.

And pardon me for saying so (I do this with respect), but there does seem to be a holier than thou attitude by some of the moderators on the boards. For example, your response to me seemed more like a form response rather than a personal response. If you take the time to act like you care, rather than throwing your weight and position of authrotiy around, your credibility would increase two fold and the site image would increase as well. In this day and age, people are sick and tired of stock messages. I understand the need for uniformity, but would it be so much to ask for a few kind words every now and then, rather than someone feeling the need to scold us for being bad boys and girls?

It sounds like there are two different issues here that need to be addressed here, and they go for everybody.

First, if any of your threads or posts are deleted or have been closed without any word at all from a member of the FST, please contact any member of the FST via PM, and if you get no response, Rich or John via PM. If you don't hear anything at all, I agree, that's no good, and it needs to be addressed.

Second, if you have any problems with the wording of the actual messages you do get, take it directly to John or Rich via PM. I guarantee you'll get a quicker response to a specific problem via PM than posting it in here. Just trying to help out here. :)

These are simply recommendations in keeping with the Community Guidelines.

Thanks,

Lance