Marching Military

I have said many times that the two things that prepared me for life (almost half of which has been spent in the military) were the Boy Scouts and Drum Corps. These two activities growing up taught me volumes about determination, comaraderie, leadership, followership, human relations, overcoming adversity, etc., etc.

By the way, the rest of my career overshadowed basic training in terms of challenges. Basic was easy...excelling consistently for 20 years, getting shot at (yes, some of us AF pukes get shot at), and being away from my family for 14 months on my final deployment (which I'm currently 8 months into) were what tested how well I learned the lessons drum corps beat into me. :)

The real question I've been finding the answer to over the last 5 years is, "How did the military prepare me for Drum Corps??" Going from tech, to tour manager, to winterline director, to asst. executive director of a fledgling performing arts association has tested my abilities MUCH more than I ever imagined. But once it's in your blood, you can't escape...drum corps will be my life till the day I die.

To all my brothers and sisters in arms: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said many times that the two things that prepared me for life (almost half of which has been spent in the military) were the Boy Scouts and Drum Corps. These two activities growing up taught me volumes about determination, comaraderie, leadership, followership, human relations, overcoming adversity, etc., etc.

By the way, the rest of my career overshadowed basic training in terms of challenges. Basic was easy...excelling consistently for 20 years, getting shot at (yes, some of us AF pukes get shot at), and being away from my family for 14 months on my final deployment (which I'm currently 8 months into) were what tested how well I learned the lessons drum corps beat into me. :)

The real question I've been finding the answer to over the last 5 years is, "How did the military prepare me for Drum Corps??" Going from tech, to tour manager, to winterline director, to asst. executive director of a fledgling performing arts association has tested my abilities MUCH more than I ever imagined. But once it's in your blood, you can't escape...drum corps will be my life till the day I die.

To all my brothers and sisters in arms: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

This entire post is VERY true. I really think Drum Corps has prepared me for the military as well.

Many of my friends wonder why since I've not marched a drum corps show in almost 7 years, why I still love to watch, listen to, and go to drum corps show? The answer I give them is the line I have bolded in your post. The same goes for the military. Once I exit the military, I will always want to know what's going on with the military until the day I die.

And THANK YOU AS WELL!!!

i joined during the 2000 season (had two years left to age out).. the transition was pretty easy. marching was a cake. they actually had me demonstrate how to march in front of some other division. lol

i went to boot camp.. was in the band there, went to IT school, was in the base band there, then got stationed in hawaii for 3 years.. didnt play, but i taught marching at two schools.. then got sent to san diego where i taught two schools before getting out just about 1 year ago. now im still in san diego

i joined during the 2000 season (had two years left to age out).. the transition was pretty easy. marching was a cake. they actually had me demonstrate how to march in front of some other division. lol

i went to boot camp.. was in the band there, went to IT school, was in the base band there, then got stationed in hawaii for 3 years.. didnt play, but i taught marching at two schools.. then got sent to san diego where i taught two schools before getting out just about 1 year ago. now im still in san diego

You sound like my twin brother. I left in 2000 having two more summers before aging out. I also went to IT school. But went to the east coast and now I am in San Diego. Where are you located in San Diego?

A very noble goal, but always remember that every Marine is considered a rifleman, and your MOS is secondary to that duty. Also, if you're an NCO and hold a college degree, a commission can be hard to avoid. I've seen NCO's in that position who had to apply for a commission and become officers in order to remain in the service (up or out), and that means (for the most part) no more active musical participation in a military unit. There are of course exceptions to the above, but for the most part I believe it's accurate.
this is not true, however, for "the president's own," which is the usmc principal performance band. the members do not go to basic training and have no military duties other than being strong musicians. they are the only members of the u.s. military that do not go to basic.

Recruit Training

I aged out of drum corps in 1994 and joined the Army in 1995. I just seperated after 12 years of service. Basic Training was a challenge, but having marched corps, I felt completely prepared mentally. The biggest challenges were from a standpoint of endurance, which is to say a lot, coming almost right out of corps.

I know two guys who marched Phantom Regiment who went on to march in the Marine D&B Corps that ended up in my last army band. Duane LeBlanc marched 90, 91 & 92 (I think that's right) and Russ Wiley marched with Southwind and Phantom (not sure of the years)....both were sop players.

A very noble goal, but always remember that every Marine is considered a rifleman, and your MOS is secondary to that duty. Also, if you're an NCO and hold a college degree, a commission can be hard to avoid. I've seen NCO's in that position who had to apply for a commission and become officers in order to remain in the service (up or out), and that means (for the most part) no more active musical participation in a military unit. There are of course exceptions to the above, but for the most part I believe it's accurate.

Not refuting what you said, this is what I know so far in my limited experience:

I am currently working toward an audition for the USMC drum and bugle corps.

I can only speak of my experience so far:

Audition consists of:

1) Prepared Solo (grade IV or higher) 40%

2) Scales (major) 10%

3) Sight Reading 50%

All field band and drum corps musicians must complete Marine Recruit training. After successful completion of recruit training, field band members will attend the Armed forces school of music. That is the extent of information I know for the field bands. Following information is only for the drum corps:

The new drum corps members bypass the school of music; all training is on the job. The dc currently utilizes Custom Kanstul 2 valve G horns ('bugles'). As dc member your primary job is as a musician. Even with a college degree you can retire from the Corps as musician, more than likely you won't pass the rank of Sergeant though. There's been a stronger push recently for college experienced musicians.

That's al I can remember right now. The information came from my local recruiter, dc recruiter MS Meier, (director) Gunnery Sergeant Call, (director) and Staff Sergeant

Stanley. I'll be glad to answer any questions to the best of my ability

"Even with a college degree you can retire from the Corps as musician, more than likely you won't pass the rank of Sergeant though."

Really! As in E-5?? 20 years in the corps for basically no promotion opportunities? That doesn't seem right...especially since if you have a college degree you could probably enter at minimum, E-3.

Edited by mrshowfan