Rule voting results

The instructors would see relief in being able to keep those extra few people, that because of only being able to accept a certain amount, had to be let go at a winter camp.

++

who was it that thinks they are going to see bigger hornlines????? bull....why would you want 20 contras when you gan get bigger. louder, deeper bass with a couple of bass synthesizers and a bunch of amps and speakers. Drum Corps is going to end up just being electronics with a bunch of sherpas running around lugging all the crap. if the electronics rule passes this will be the last year of anything resembling the Drum & Bugle Corps we all love. Very sad.....

Edited by ducttapedgerbil

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who was it that thinks they are going to see bigger hornlines????? bull....why would you want 20 contras when you gan get bigger. louder, deeper bass with a couple of bass synthesizers and a bunch of amps and speakers. Drum Corps is going to end up just being electronics with a bunch of sherpas running around lugging all the crap. if the electronics rule passes this will be the last year of anything resembling the Drum & Bugle Corps we all love. Very sad.....

Because I can see the 150 member rule pass, but I still hold out hope that the electronics one will fail.

That's why.

:(

I still don't like the 150 member thing even if you don't see the loss of members from smaller corps. Obviously the smaller Div I corps are not going to be positively affected by this rule change because they can't get 135 anyway. The arguement for raising the limit is that corps need to fill up the buses, but honestly what top corps really needs the extra money anyway? For crying out loud, George Hopkins is the director of a corps that (correct me if I'm wrong) gave scholarships to brass players joining. Do the Cadets really need the money or is there perhaps some other reason for Hopkins proposing this?

Even though 150 would create louder hornlines, the proposal is not IMO beneficial to the entire activity. You would see initial membership increase in the activity because of the extra 15 members but I think the extra members would further distance the gap between the top and the bottom of Div I and this would hurt the lower Div I corps. Such a gap in members would make it harder for corps to jump up and succeed and these corps would be more likely to fold after a while due to their uncompetitiveness. I buy into the "supercorps" arguement and I think that you wind up hurting the smaller corps. (Many of you may not agree with my competition arguement and I may be completely wrong, so if you think so feel free to respond).

Also, I have a whole theory (but I won't go into it, besides it's late) about Hopkins and why he wants all these proposals passed-I mean come on Hopkins doesn't need more money for the Cadets, and I don't think he wants 15 more members just so he can hear "louder hornlines". Besides, doesn't he want woodwinds in drum corps? Wouldn't that mean less horns?

*Edited for spelling

Edited by marimbaman89

It would make the incorporation of woodwinds a whole lot easier, but it also brings up the idea of restructuring the three divisions.

Four divisions perhaps, based on various things, but with bringing back the ability to compete at an upper-division's quarter+ finals?

hmm

"Everything affects everything"

Umm... you guys all realize this is just the first round of voting, right? This was just the instructor's caucus, the board-of-directors vote is tomorrow.

There's still hope. :worthy:

EDIT: I guess you did...

I'll own up to hitting the "panic button" myself. I actually recall that the last couple of years, the results from the caucus has been similar, only for the proposal to get voted DOWN by almost the same margin.

I really hope the 150 rule doesn't pass. How many corps already fold or move down divisions because of a lack of membership? And you can bet lower corps will be drained of good talent even more. Of course, there will be no problem for the top few corps...but those at the bottom are going to have a tough time. Kinda scary, if you ask me...

:worthy:

I'm with on you this one, bubba ... I can already hear the clarinet players warming up for the next rules congress.

Actually, I see this more as "how do we keep the people we really didn't want to have to cut in January/February"? Especially, in the horn line. All in all, that's about 200 kids that will retain a spot in the div 1 corps rather than 150 of them sit at home while 50 actually join a smaller corps.

I'm more concerned about base memberships of smaller corps. It's not a matter of the kids where Div 1 is all or nothing, it's the kids who are in the smaller corps as a spring board. All of the leaders of the 2/3 and lower 1 corps would be more likely to go try out for their dream corps because of the additional spots. More people would make the high Div 1 corps, and there would be less people who don't make it and then go back to their smaller corps for another year to get better. Less time in these corps results in less members all together, results in less lower corps. Sure, maybe phantom could melt your face off more, but more and more corps would also being going the way of KK, Magic and Capital regiment.

I still don't like the 150 member thing even if you don't see the loss of members from smaller corps. Obviously the smaller Div I corps are not going to be positively affected by this rule change because they can't get 135 anyway. The arguement for raising the limit is that corps need to fill up the buses, but honestly what top corps really needs the extra money anyway? For crying out loud, George Hopkins is the director of a corps that (correct me if I'm wrong) gave scholarships to brass players joining. Do the Cadets really need the money or is there perhaps some other reason for Hopkins proposing this?

Even though 150 would create louder hornlines, the proposal is not IMO beneficial to the entire activity. You would see initial membership increase in the activity because of the extra 15 members but I think the extra members would further distance the gap between the top and the bottom of Div I and this would hurt the lower Div I corps. Such a gap in members would make it harder for corps to jump up and succeed and these corps would be more likely to fold after a while due to their uncompetitiveness. I buy into the "supercorps" arguement and I think that you wind up hurting the smaller corps. (Many of you may not agree with my competition arguement and I may be completely wrong, so if you think so feel free to respond).

Also, I have a whole theory (but I won't go into it, besides it's late) about Hopkins and why he wants all these proposals passed-I mean come on Hopkins doesn't need more money for the Cadets, and I don't think he wants 15 more members just so he can hear "louder hornlines". Besides, doesn't he want woodwinds in drum corps? Wouldn't that mean less horns?

*Edited for spelling

Size does matter. A bigger look and sound = GE. As for Hopkins weaning us onto woodwinds, I really don't think it's worth it to worry about that rule for now. There are many less agenda-driven directors than George, and they realize how much this rule would alienate the activity's fan base. Drum corps will always remain a niche activity (like it or not) and this rule would definitely make that niche much smaller. It would be a bad financial move for DCI to pass this rule altogether. I don't think there is going to be one moment where woodwinds are just *BAM* in the activity, but it will be a much more gradual change if it happens at all. Whether or not this is the beginning of that change, well, I guess that's up to interpretation.

I'm more concerned about base memberships of smaller corps. It's not a matter of the kids where Div 1 is all or nothing, it's the kids who are in the smaller corps as a spring board. All of the leaders of the 2/3 and lower 1 corps would be more likely to go try out for their dream corps because of the additional spots. More people would make the high Div 1 corps, and there would be less people who don't make it and then go back to their smaller corps for another year to get better. Less time in these corps results in less members all together, results in less lower corps. Sure, maybe phantom could melt your face off more, but more and more corps would also being going the way of KK, Magic and Capital regiment. to interpretation.

More likely than not, bumping the limit to 150, ESPECIALLY without passing similar increases for D2 and D3, would likely result in Cadets, Cavvies, BD, Phantom and about 6-8 other corps getting bigger while another 10-15 D2 and D3 and another 3-4 D1 corps bite the dust.

But hey, Hoppy NEEDS to get those last few seats on his bus filled, so why should any of THAT stop him?