Would you?

I fail to see what experience you have to draw on other than your own personal taste.

Could you come up with some ideas? He may be wrong but he brings up an excellent point...are there really new concepts to be found simply by adding instruments?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I can. I am a show designer. Would they be of DCI quality? Not sure yet. They've done well in the marching band field, and have been some of the more entertaining shows in the state of Michigan the past few years. Not always the best executed(not from a design stand point but from actual playing and marching), but I highly doubt many from Michigan would deny that they've been enjoyable. There are MANY things even adding a synth or a sampler can add to a show. Is it drum corps? I'm not sure yet. I'm not a drum corps designer yet. I design for marching band. Would I be willing to AT LEAST GIVE A DCI SHOW DESIGNER A SHOT AT TRYING IT? ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!

Yes, I can. I am a show designer. Would they be of DCI quality? Not sure yet. They've done well in the marching band field, and have been some of the more entertaining shows in the state of Michigan the past few years. Not always the best executed(not from a design stand point but from actual playing and marching), but I highly doubt many from Michigan would deny that they've been enjoyable. There are MANY things even adding a synth or a sampler can add to a show. Is it drum corps? I'm not sure yet. I'm not a drum corps designer yet. I design for marching band. Would I be willing to AT LEAST GIVE A DCI SHOW DESIGNER A SHOT AT TRYING IT? ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!

Okay. I'd really honestly like to hear some of those ideas. Could you list some of them?

Would electronics necessarily affect concept alone though? What you're talking about is another instrument; another voice to add to the texture. I think George Hopkins made it clear in today's Field Pass that people are worried about this becoming some kind of way to amplify the sounds we already have. Well, it appears electronics would most likely be a percussive instrument. Do percussion instruments dictate shows? I think they simply add to them. With amps we've already seen different instruments explored. A couple recent examples I can think of are the udos in the Blue Devils' 2004 show. They lead into more train sounds in the pit. I also think of the steel drums in the Bluecoats' 2006 show, or any of the other cool instruments in the pit in their 2005 show. Basically I see electronics as an extension of awesome sounds and voices the pit can create. Think of the piano concertos played by corps in the past. What if you could mimic a grand piano in the pit with a synthesizer? These aren't prerecorded sounds -- it's music that will be performed live in front of you.

i want to go back to the day when drum corps influenced marching band. not the other way around.

w/Stp:

That kind of sums it up in a nutshell, doesn't it?

Think of the piano concertos played by corps in the past. What if you could mimic a grand piano in the pit with a synthesizer? These aren't prerecorded sounds -- it's music that will be performed live in front of you.

I, for one, would not want to see that. If I wanted to hear a piano concerto played on something that sounds like a piano, I would not go to a drum corps show. I would go watch a pianist perform. I would, however, go to a drum corps show to see a different style of a piano concerto, the same thing, but different: with the unique sound that I have come to love from a drum corps and would hate to see changed.

Just throwing this out there as I don't think it's come up yet. What about great pieces of band literature that CALLS for synth. Let's just say for example "Sonoran Desert Holiday" by Ron Nelson. Has a written synth part to be played on a warm string pad patch. Could that be duplicated in the brass? Nope. Can you achieve the chords? Sure. But I imagine that being performed with the synth underneath as the mellos rip up some of the old clarinet lines. It's goosebump material. Synth's aren't gonna neccesarily destroy the activity, at least IMO. Is it gonna be poorly used if it finally passes? More likely than not. It'll be a learning experience as people find what works and doesnt. (This is the part where some close minded person says, it doesn't work so don't use it. So I already said it so you don't need to post it)

Here, no thank you. If you'd like to pm me or even catch me on aim, I'd love to talk about them. I don't hide from people. I'm even a decent person most of the time. :P

Sure, I'll catch you on AIM, but maybe tomorrow. I have school tomorrow and it's getting pretty late here in Jersey.

I'm sorry if someone doesn't like my opinion, and of course I'm not saying that other people are stupid and that their opinions are wrong, it's just personal preference. I watch drum corps because it's got a different kind of sound, which I highly enjoy. I simply don't want it to change into something that I could go somewhere else to hear anyway.