Would you?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just throwing this out there as I don't think it's come up yet. What about great pieces of band literature that CALLS for synth. Let's just say for example "Sonoran Desert Holiday" by Ron Nelson. Has a written synth part to be played on a warm string pad patch. Could that be duplicated in the brass? Nope. Can you achieve the chords? Sure. But I imagine that being performed with the synth underneath as the mellos rip up some of the old clarinet lines. It's goosebump material. Synth's aren't gonna neccesarily destroy the activity, at least IMO. Is it gonna be poorly used if it finally passes? More likely than not. It'll be a learning experience as people find what works and doesnt. (This is the part where some close minded person says, it doesn't work so don't use it. So I already said it so you don't need to post it)

How bout some of those nifty electronic trumpets?

Push a button, produce a sound!

Star can come back fully funded by Fisher Price Toys : Instrument Division.

If some people want to have woodwinds, synths, pyrotechnics, singing, etc etc. in a marching show, let them!

But not in Drum Corps, sorry.

You have BOA, and the ability to form a new circuit.

Enjoy.

I really don't think that's your choice... it's the corps directors'. You have the choice to attend shows and buy souvenirs and march corps, but you can't control what they do.

Edited by TSRTS13

And people wonder how things get ugly on DCP so quickly. I asked a fair question. I get what you're saying, have no issues with your opinion, but really, do you feel better having been a jerk in answering?

Edited because DCP let me use a word instead of jerk, and decided it'd be better to change.

Edited by Iplaytimpani

And people wonder how things get ugly on DCP so quickly. I asked a fair question. I get what you're saying, have no issues with your opinion, but really, do you feel better having been a jerk in answering?

Edited because DCP let me use a word instead of jerk, and decided it'd be better to change.

A comment that makes the concept of where electronics could take us, a joke.. isn't fair.

I'm sorry.

A comment that makes the concept of where electronics could take us, a joke.. isn't fair.

I'm sorry.

What's the difference between a bach strad trumpet and a fisher price novelty trumpet then? Hell, Fisher Price is missing out on a HUGE possibility! Would you have the ability to play a good synth part and the proceed to probably play a fast marimba run or something of the sort?

Edited by Iplaytimpani

It wasn't really an opinion you were stating, but a rule that you expect everyone else to follow.

I'll have to break everything down into easily read comments from now on.

No longer will anyone have to think when they read my comments, because it'll be spelled out for them 100%.

Here goes.

If some people want to have woodwinds, synths, pyrotechnics, singing, etc etc. in a marching show, let them!

But not in Drum Corps, sorry.

You have BOA, and the ability to form a new circuit.

Enjoy.

(Fixt)

If a director wants to have anything that isn't in Drum Corps today, they should be allowed to.

I would perfer it to not be in drum corps, and because not everyone agrees with this, I am so very very sorry.

Granted there is BOA (Bands of America), and there is always the ability to form a new (marching/music) ciruit, though they shouldn't have to make anything new with something new.

Good luck.

How bout some of those nifty electronic trumpets?

Push a button, produce a sound!

Star can come back fully funded by Fisher Price Toys : Instrument Division.

What would you think about Electronic trumpets?

Like in that video that was posted on DCP not too long ago, where the player would push a button and the notes were played through the sound board.

Maybe a corps that was once sponsored, maybe Star of Indiana perhaps, could come back and be sponsored by a reputable company that produces music instruments. (Yamaha, King, etc.)

I, for one, would not want to see that. If I wanted to hear a piano concerto played on something that sounds like a piano, I would not go to a drum corps show. I would go watch a pianist perform. I would, however, go to a drum corps show to see a different style of a piano concerto, the same thing, but different: with the unique sound that I have come to love from a drum corps and would hate to see changed.

Exactly. Exactly exactly exactly exactly.