Would you?

Hey, thank my professor.

M, I'm sure you know that adding woodwinds would mean a much larger corps to deal with visually. As a drill writer, what you think will happen to drill in a future that includes woodwinds? Will the visual drill remain as intense and fast-paced? If so, how? I would really love to hear the perspective of someone who writes drill for profit on this. You must be thinking of this whenever you see anything about increases in size. Thanks for the input!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conner,

anyone ever tell you how arrogant you are ? I mean, really ? How old are you and what have you actually contributed to drum corps ?? You seem to now it all, what do you know ?? Do you know how to stay on topic, foster discussion and be mature ??

~G~

Pot. Kettle. Geoffrey.

Thank God.

G, I don't really care at this point what you think of me. If you think I'm arrogant, then I absolutely MUST be arrogant. At least I'm open minded. And I'd like to point you in the direction of the post that I have quoted, and let me just restate this: STOP GOING.

And really, quite honestly... I know you never marched, so before you give me slack on "contributing to drum corps" how about you re-examine your history before diving into mine.

I'm still 16... I have a chance to march DCI.

~>conner

Really?? He has assured me that he DID march, and that his opinion was more important that mine.

You don't need "ideas" for a drum corps show! You need music, and drill, and THAT'S IT!

JESUS JAZZ RUNNING CHRIST!

All of my favorite shows have some sort of idea or concept . . . so do most of yours (even The Cadets have ideas).

I think you were being facetious (even though there is a bit of truth in what you're saying) but just in case...

Congratulations. You just defined drum corps in four words. :)

I can't believe people don't get this. No truer words have ever been spoken.

Sometimes constraint leads to creativity. Sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the creator, the subject, the time period, so much.

Certainly great art was created under various limits (voice leading rules, for instance, before tonality gained more freedom). Better, more developed art was created later without those limits.

I'm perfectly open to the possibilities that these new rules might bring to our niche activity. Certainly, there will be missteps and failures. There obviously have been with amplification. But there have been successes, things that couldn't have been done without it that ultimately enhanced the final product.

We have no reason to belive that nothing good can happen from electronics. And ultimately, fan reaction, judging, placement- this will keep the activity in check. Was 2005 Cadets too much? No. Was 2006? Yes. There is a natural give-and-take, a natural balancing act that WILL keep things okay.

Regardless, props to "M" for being one of the most informed, intelligent, and thoughtful posters here.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

"constraints lead to creativity."
Congratulations. You just defined drum corps in four words. :)

I can't believe people don't get this. No truer words have ever been spoken.

This is not an absolute case though.

Look at what Zingali did with Visual Design. There was a shift into the whole abstract and non total symmetrical drill once that precedent was shattered by Garfield in the mid 80s. Now look at the creativity that ensued because the boundaries for design were expanded.

Not to say that the shows before weren't creative, but you can definitely see explosions of a new style once something unseen has been added.

Search 2004 Ronald Reagan on youtube. Great show. Not drum corps...

Wow...that made me even more against electronics.

I personally never want to be in a pit with synths...I hated the synths. I have to say I like woodwinds even more than I liked the synths, and I don't like those either. I am sooooo glad that DCI didn't pass the electronics proposal, hopefully they won't ever pass it (sadly they probably will).

Of course this is just my opinion. If you like the sound they produce and you think that they should be added, so be it. I just really hated it.

Granted...it was an excellent show and I liked it a lot otherwise. But that's marching band. If somebody (like George Hopkins) wants to start a DCI like organization for marching bands, where the talent level will be higher than BOA, then so be it, but please don't take my drum corps away from me. Pleeeeease.

You don't need "ideas" for a drum corps show! You need music, and drill, and THAT'S IT!

JESUS JAZZ RUNNING CHRIST!

Ah yes. The great Hroth has spoken. Master of the show design. Master of drum corps. All bow down. Don't forget here folks how many DCI rings he has from show design. No arguement can be presented. Kiss his and Kenny "Gmichaels"'s non-amp loving feet.

Edited by Iplaytimpani

All of my favorite shows have some sort of idea or concept . . . so do most of yours (even The Cadets have ideas).

I think you were being facetious (even though there is a bit of truth in what you're saying) but just in case...

Yeah, I was half-kidding. But I think people place too much emphasis on "ideas" and "concepts" in show design. How long do you think it took to come with "machines and robots" or "connecting" or "constant motion"? A couple of minutes. But picking, arranging, and teaching the music and visuals are the "meat" of show design. I fail to see how electronics will allow for any concepts that are not already permitted. Directors just want something new...something I disapprove of wholeheartedly.

I fail to see how electronics will allow for any concepts that are not already permitted. Directors just want something new...something I disapprove of wholeheartedly.

:angry::wub::angry::angry::angry: