Update from DCI Meetings

Obviously I don't know the exact situation .... but ....

How about learning about leadership? If you're the best one there, then learn how to lead by example, how to teach others to improve to your level. How about learning how to push yourself beyond the technical talents that are already good enough for that corps? How about challenging yourself to make the corps itself better?

How about creating meaningful friendships and/or working relationships with others even though they're not as talented as you so that later in life when maybe you're NOT the most talented in the group, you have a basis with how to deal with that situation maturely?

Is any of this worthwhile? Or is it all about technical aspects and winning medals these days?

Depends on the individual. Nothing wrong with different people looking for different things.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the individual. Nothing wrong with different people looking for different things.

Right, and if you reread his post ....

Why would you march somewhere when you were the best one there? How are you going to learn anything from that? It's not about marching with a champion, it's about marching somewhere where you'll be challenged.

He's basically saying why would "anyone" do this and I answered him. If his friend chose not to explore any of the challenges I laid out, so be it, but that was HER choice, not an unfair, hopeless predicament she found herself in.

Or maybe she didn't have the body image, even though she's not overweight at all... but that's another post for another time that could open a whole other can of worms.

Maybe it deserves to be discussed that way, because the context under which you're dropping this is this auditioner was not good enough in one place, but should have been, but got cut, but was too good for the place that thought she was really good... you'll have to make your point another way because this one sounds like someone who just simply got cut, and then chose to be too good for someone else. :blink:

Right, and if you reread his post ....

He's basically saying why would "anyone" do this and I answered him. If his friend chose not to explore any of the challenges I laid out, so be it, but that was HER choice, not an unfair, hopeless predicament she found herself in.

Fair enough. If he was intentionally asking why 'anyone' would want to do those things then I don't agree with that anymore than saying it's wrong for 'anyone' to not be willing to do those things.

Well maybe its the diehard in me, but why do drum corps if you're not going to be pushed to the breaking point? For me, the point is to look back and say "wow, I never thought I could do that, but I did." If you already have the talent to get through everything then you couldn't really claim that...

Anyhoo, I guess my point is that there are more than enough talented performers auditioning for top corps. I think cutting people would almost be harder than auditioning. There just aren't enough spots for everyone.

Maybe it deserves to be discussed that way, because the context under which you're dropping this is this auditioner was not good enough in one place, but should have been, but got cut, but was too good for the place that thought she was really good... you'll have to make your point another way because this one sounds like someone who just simply got cut, and then chose to be too good for someone else. :blink:

Imagine the body image thing was out, and this was a hypothetical which does happen many many times: she was good enough for one corps that didn't have enough spots to go around but was too advanced to learn much from another corps because (as the staff told her!) she was the best.

Edited by zackiedude

Well maybe its the diehard in me, but why do drum corps if you're not going to be pushed to the breaking point? For me, the point is to look back and say "wow, I never thought I could do that, but I did." If you already have the talent to get through everything then you couldn't really claim that...

Anyhoo, I guess my point is that there are more than enough talented performers auditioning for top corps. I think cutting people would almost be harder than auditioning. There just aren't enough spots for everyone.

Look, I get what you're saying .... but pushed in what way? So her technical skills are superb -- great !!!! But part of learning and growing is being pushed in ways that you didn't set out to do. Could she have become a teacher at that corps -- a member and instructor perhaps? Could she have pushed herself to learn another instrument? Or maybe this particular corps was too shortsighted to see what she could offer them -- did she look at other corps to see if she could help them? All I'm saying is that there were opportunities for her under the existing member limits to find a challenging and rewarding experience. Maybe not exactly the one she initially set out for -- but sometimes those end up being the most rewarding of all.

Which corps? Which judges said this? Please, be specific.
You would have to run a search through the DCP articles. It's been mentioned a few times before. I'm at work now and have a meeting in a couple of minutes.

What if there was twice the amount because people liked the innovation and the sound and kids could relate more to it?

Then BOA would have a larger fan base than DCI. BOA would have to run over 50 regionals just to try and respond to the demand of the ticket buyers. Oh, and summer marching band would have surpassed drum corps at some point in their 60 years of parallel history.

You are ignoring my point. Please listen...WHAT IF there were only HALF of the amount of fans at all drum corps shows...due to people "no longer liking the activity due to electronics or woodwinds being passed in the future"? Do you really think such a risk is worth letting these rules proposals continue.

Don't you think that's kind of a hard-sell "what-if?" Especially when you consider that the vast majority of seats vacated by disgruntled, disenfranchised older fans are still getting filled by new fans who kind of like what they see/hear and don't care that there used to be somebody sitting there who didn't like it.

I'm not trying to be an ###, but your point can only be valid if the emptied seats stay empty.. and they don't.

Stef