Who's in the Crowd ?

Yeah, there is a problem with kids at drum corps shows, another reason I don't want to pay good money if I can't sit through a show and enjoy it without these kinds of interruptions.

I swore we'd never drive that far again for a show to sit through that kind of hell.

OTOH...I have been at shows where the vast majority of HS kids act just fine. We brought a busload from the band I arrange for to DCI East...and they were very well-behaved.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTOH...I have been at shows where the vast majority of HS kids act just fine. We brought a busload from the band I arrange for to DCI East...and they were very well-behaved.

Hey Mike, you can go almost anywhere with the kids gagged and hog tied can't ya ?? :P j/k

Lancerlady, you hit it on the mark. :(

I wish I could add a smile, but I cannot. Because I am just as disturbed about both areas.

On the kids...Kids will be as good as they are taught (or expected) to be. I have witnessed this type of behavior too many times; and have actually talked to some of their directors; who when asked to control their kids are usually confrontational or are absolutely unable or unwilling to do anything about it...because they are afraid they would lose these kids as friends; or have to face parents who are afraid to lose THEIR kids as friends...

WHAT ARE WE THINKING??? :drool: We should be parents and teachers first, and friends later when these kids grow up!!! And many of the teachers are also involved in the corps activity; and some of these who allow these students to run wild have (unfortunately) corps backgrounds. I know our schools...and families...are failing in this country. Because of the inability or unwillingness of the adults to be adults; and assume responsibility for those kids we have under us. They either need to assert authority and have control over their charges or do not take them to events such as this. I know that if I could not (or would not be allowed to by administration or parents) expect my students to show courtesy and self-control then I would not take them anywhere until they can....and if administration and parents expectations are so low that it is too much their kids to behave...then I would go somewhere else where they are higher.

It is simple...let the kids know what is expected of them (including enthusiasm for performances :) ); consequences for when the line is crossed; following thru if there is misbehavior; and being consistent. Communicate with parents and administrators what those expectations are; and if they are not willing to back them up; then THEY, not YOU, choose for the kids not to participate.

As for the show content, I am in agreement as well. It is just a different audience that DCI is aiming for, unfortunately. :(

And again, I am not able to smile....and not too sure that this new audience can financially support this (now radically different) activity in the long run.

Edited by prodigal bari

Lancerlady, you hit it on the mark. :(

I wish I could add a smile, but I cannot. Because I am just as disturbed about both areas.

On the kids...Kids will be as good as they are taught (or expected) to be. I have witnessed this type of behavior too many times; and have actually talked to some of their directors; who when asked to control their kids are usually confrontational or are absolutely unable or unwilling to do anything about it...because they are afraid they would lose these kids as friends; or have to face parents who are afraid to lose THEIR kids as friends...

WHAT ARE WE THINKING??? :drool: We should be parents and teachers first, and friends later when these kids grow up!!! And many of the teachers are also involved in the corps activity; and some of these who allow these students to run wild have (unfortunately) corps backgrounds. I know our schools...and families...are failing in this country. Because of the inability or unwillingness of the adults to be adults; and assume responsibility for those kids we have under us. They either need to assert authority and have control over their charges or do not take them to events such as this. I know that if I could not (or would not be allowed to by administration or parents) expect my students to show courtesy and self-control then I would not take them anywhere until they can....and if administration and parents expectations are so low that it is too much their kids to behave...then I would go somewhere else where they are higher.

It is simple...let the kids know what is expected of them (including enthusiasm for performances :) ); consequences for when the line is crossed; following thru if there is misbehavior; and being consistent. Communicate with parents and administrators what those expectations are; and if they are not willing to back them up; then THEY, not YOU, choose for the kids not to participate.

As for the show content, I am in agreement as well. It is just a different audience that DCI is aiming for, unfortunately. :(

And again, I am not able to smile....and not too sure that this new audience can financially support this (now radically different) activity in the long run.

Bravo..well said. The whole post, but especially the highlighted part.

You must be one great band director. :) You should come and give a seminar class to some of the ones down here then! :P

I believe that you would run a tight ship though.

Why cater to kids who don't care to what is going on. If a band comes to a show give them a group rate, I have no problem with that but the bad director should keep them quiet and under control.

I don't know why DCI doesn't cater to the people who got them to where they are today, THE DRUM CORPS ALUMNI !!!!

I think we've EARNED it, don't you ??!!

:drool::music::drool::music::drool::music::worthy::worthy:

For sure! :) :P

Exactly! When I was in band we were simply in awe of the show, and there was never any trouble. When I've gone to shows with bands we have rarely had to say anything to them, because they love it. They were even quiet at the cinema broadcast!

Edit: The one that really bugs me is people comming and going during performances - not enough show sponsors have ushers that are willing to prevent people from entering. It usually requires some alumni to get the trend going. Also, kind of odd that people are complaining about noise during shows...if people were cheering then there would be noise as well. So now we have good noise and bad noise - in the end its all just noise, so enjoy the show and be happy your there. :)

Edited by raphael18

It is not all just noise. Cheering for a corps is done because of the show, and it gets the corps hyped up. Talking about how Becki kissed Jimmie (and oh my goodness, there was tongue!) is not. That can be done in the parking lot, or out of the stands. Seriously, they can stand around the hot dog vendor if they want to do that. Don't bring that to the stands. It's distracting for the kids and adults who care.

Edited by zachariaswmb

I sat in the stands at various shows, and it was interesting to notice the different noise levels at the different venues. In some places, the ballad in one corps show would be louder in one location than another. Granted, the stadium might be a factor, but there was definitely a difference in crowd noise as well.

I don't understand how band directors can get their whole band to go to these shows. At my school, unless my director made an announcement at the end of the year, there would only be a select few from my school at the shows. If the kids are being forced to be there, they are not going to pay as much attention, thats just how high schoolers are. But I have a little bit of a different opinion because I got into the activity initially because my band director called me and told about this show. It sounded cool, I went, and the rest is history. So, as music educators, we do have to introduce kids to this activity, but we need to do it in an optional way. In this way, we will only get the kids that are at least semi-interested in the activity to attend, not those who want to find out the latest social news.