Let's post cool Jazz Run pictures

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toe height inconsistent tho. I can tick 2 people in this picture for that.

*sorry, I'm nit-picking* :P

But it's good marching technique.

ah missed the thread subtitle, and definitely couldnt argue against how impressive it looks, looks pretty darn good to me... I wish I could wear sunglasses under my shako, that'd make my day lol

BD DOES lose height when they JAZZ RUNE, but not when doing a normal forward march (for one, their step size is to small). In the pic posted they are doing a toe lead, but that is different than a jazz run. There are videos that show the hornline doing their visual warm-up on youtube.

I will second that BD is generally one of the best at individual technique.

Edited by raphael18

you should never have to sacrifice having an upright, tall, raised body for a jazz run.

so squatting and looking bad isnt a requirement.

dont believe me?

ask todd ryan

I completely agree and Todd Ryan is a incredible visual mind.

But adding a plie to a jazz run technique (which Blue Devils don't seem to do, and Cavaliers do) does not mean the body alignment, separation, or posture should suffer (and I'm not implying that is what you were saying, in case you weren't). A plie done well allows the spine and rib cage to remain separated, lifted and tall.

What I don't like to see, personally, in a jazz run is the up-down-up-down-up-down of the whole body when one jazz runs and does not plie. But I suppose that is personal taste.

M

It's right there on youtube - BD does plie when they jazz run!

They go down on count 4 and initiate on 1 - just like every other corps I've ever seen. The point is to move the impact point from the upper leg to the knee.

Show me a video (or just tell me the year and I'll find it) of a corps that jazz runs with straight legs.

Oh yeah, I'm not counting "jazz running" backwards, because:

1) It is a completely different concept than doing it forward

2) It is pretty much the same as a normal backward march for most groups, just bigger steps

Edited by raphael18

MadisonFront.jpg

I always thought this was a great photo showing foot placement. 1982 Madison Scouts.

Love this picture - especially the guy on the right with the curly hair!!

:angry:

Edited by lnavis