Sad News....

Today is definately a sad day. Drum Corps has lost someone special and one of my dearest friends will be missed.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I met Sean in 1986, our rookie year with the New York Skyliners. He was very friendly to everyone and fun to be around. He was one of the true ambassadors of drum corps. He taught me the drum corps activity was more fun when you made friends with the members of the other corps. Sure enough, true to his word, he had friends in every corps we encountered.

Shawn was an assistant director of the 2007 New York Skyliners. He was very much an active participant in the Skyliners affairs. The New York Skyliners will miss one of our greatest supporters.

Below are a couple of pictures that remind me of the great times we had.

Here's a pic of us mocking another one of our Skyliner pit brother’s. Shawn's mom Carol actually taught it to us without knowing it. Leave it to Shawn to exploit it.

93pic.jpg

Here's a pic taken at the 1993 DCA championship. It's the last time my wife and I played with Shawn. It was a great year for the Skyliners pit. We won the DCA I&E percussion ensemble, but lost the best pit trophy to Les Metropolitans at DCA finals. We wore our medals proudly.

1993skydcaPit.jpg

Yes, you may have noticed I spelled Sean's name as Shawn. It's the joke shared between us. Whenever we traded barbs he would call me the name of my various nemeses over the years, and I would intentionally misspell his name. I spell it wrong for the last time in this post.

Nanci and I love you Shawn. You will always be in our hearts, and will be remembered for the friendship you've shown us and most of all for your love of the New York Skyliners. You will be missed.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Sean - but it is very obvious by his participation in this community and the outpouring of sentiments here that he truly loved the drum corps activity and community.

My condolences to the Holton family and all that knew and loved Sean so well.

Rest in Peace, Sean.

-john

My wife and I met Sean in 1986, our rookie year with the New York Skyliners. He was very friendly to everyone and fun to be around. He was one of the true ambassadors of drum corps. He taught me the drum corps activity was more fun when you made friends with the members of the other corps. Sure enough, true to his word, he had friends in every corps we encountered.

Shawn was an assistant director of the 2007 New York Skyliners. He was very much an active participant in the Skyliners affairs. The New York Skyliners will miss one of our greatest supporters.

Below are a couple of pictures that remind me of the great times we had.

Here's a pic of us mocking another one of our Skyliner pit brother’s. Shawn's mom Carol actually taught it to us without knowing it. Leave it to Shawn to exploit it.

93pic.jpg

Here's a pic taken at the 1993 DCA championship. It's the last time my wife and I played with Shawn. It was a great year for the Skyliners pit. We won the DCA I&E percussion ensemble, but lost the best pit trophy to Les Metropolitans at DCA finals. We wore our medals proudly.

1993skydcaPit.jpg

Yes, you may have noticed I spelled Sean's name as Shawn. It's the joke shared between us. Whenever we traded barbs he would call me the name of my various nemeses over the years, and I would intentionally misspell his name. I spell it wrong for the last time in this post.

Nanci and I love you Shawn. You will always be in our hearts, and will be remembered for the friendship you've shown us and most of all for your love of the New York Skyliners. You will be missed.

This is the saddest news I have heard. Sean you will be missed. My Condolances to the Holton Family. :(

The Reading Buccaneers family sends its condolences and prayers to the Holton family, the Skyliners and all in the drum corps community who grieve today.

I'm shocked and saddened by this news.

R.I.P. Sean. A true Skyliner through and through.

I never knew Sean except through the forums but I learned recently that he and I had a lot more in common than I ever expected.

For those of you who were and are close to him and his family, nothing can ever soothe this kind of pain but you know he died fighting -- that makes him a hero.

Godspeed to you, Sean. And God's peace to your family and loved ones.

Stef

I'm very sorry to announce the passing of Sean Holton, a long-time member of the New York Skyliners, and a very active and popular participant here on Drum Corps Planet (Skyliner1) . Sean and I were "pit partners" in Sky in the 80s, and he was one of my front ensemble instructors when I was Sky's assistant director in 2000-2001. A very funny, extremely quick-witted guy, he is going to be missed by an awful lot of people. My wife and I wish the Skyliners and Sean's family peace during this very very difficult time.

Glen

[moved from another topic - sorry, I didn't see this one]

Edited by Glen