Phantom Winter Guard

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they perform to the same music as the '96 show? Since it was "A Defiant Heart" and all.

I believe they are performing to the opener from 96.

The 4th ballet suite.

As far as scores, you can't compare east coast and west coast scores in Winterguard any more than you can in corps. The circuits operate in isolation.

Once the big regionals come around you can start to look at them

And no, Regiment did not have any major competition at the show.

I think the next best Guard was from JSU where Spirit is from.

Yes, PR scored a 71.x and Center Stage (from JSU) had a 66.x.

I believe Center Stage medaled in IO class last year.

Center Stage had an enjoyable show. Some nice equipment work. I'm drawing a blank on the music right now, but it was something very well-known. My memory is slipping in my old age!

PR moves quite well and that certainly boosted its score. The music starts with a percussion intro by Paul Rennick and then goes into the Ballet Suite.

By reading the bios of the members of PR's winterguard one sees that many of the members are over 21 and, therefore, would not be eligible to march in the corps.

Thats true. I had forgotten that WGI did away with the age limit all together a few years back.

I have had all three here at Eklipse: Winter Guard since 2001, winter Drumline since 1999 (went inactive in 2004), and a drum corps for a half of a summer (2003). I know that for my guard staff and drum staff all of them were used as a recruiting tool for each individual ensemble as well as a training tool for each individual ensemble. PR or any other Div. 1 corps is (I would think) using it as a way to both train incoming talent as well as recruiting and finding young, unkown talent. PR and SCV being both in world class level of competition (highest level of skill sets),are I am sure seeing this chance as a wonderful way to get an edge on recruiting as well as keeping their corps name in the minds of any young people that will see them in a season. Most guards, of their level will be seen by around 50,000 fans (just a quick guess) in a winter season. With the bulk of that at WGI championships (in Dayton OH. in April) where finals will have about 15,000 or so. There could be more at finals. I'm not really sure about how many people UD arena can hold on one side and the end zones.

Hope that helps a little.

Brad Deason

Eklipse

Back when the Cavies Winterguard was winning WGI regularly, their field guard was not as successful. They were good no doubt, but their award winning WGI guard did not necessarily equate to a winning corps guard. I guess the same could be said about Phantom's guard from 1979-1980.

It is worth noting, though, that the leadership of the staff that made the winter guard successful were the same guys who eventually took on leading roles in the Cavaliers corps proper. There was a bit of a time delay, but the Cavaliers resurgence in the mid-80s had its roots in the success of the winter guard from '81-83.

Edited by mobrien

I think the better question (or the more obvious answer) is "does a winterguard that is named/branched off a drum corps do better than if they were independent of corps?" for example, would Phantom's winterguard be as good if they were named something else and were just based out of kennesaw (spelling?) Georgia? would they attract the same members? would Santa Clara's winterguard been so successful in their inaugural season if they werent apart of the Santa Clara Vanguard?? perhaps they named themselves "Pride of California" instead and just based themselves out of California....sure their are very good winterguards that are independent of drum corps, but they are established which took time....but how much does being related to a drum corps provide more 'instant success'?

I don't know about the guards, but Cavaliers, and Pioneer both have indoor drumlines this season, so from both sides of the spectrum, you should get to see how they do in relation to their "parent" corps, and whether it has any relation on who they branch off from or not.

I don't know about the guards, but Cavaliers, and Pioneer both have indoor drumlines this season, so from both sides of the spectrum, you should get to see how they do in relation to their "parent" corps, and whether it has any relation on who they branch off from or not.

Pioneer definitely has a drumline in PIA class, but I haven't heard a single thing about the Cavies having a drumline this season. They're not listed anywhere on the WGI site, either. Where did you get this info?

Pioneer definitely has a drumline in PIA class, but I haven't heard a single thing about the Cavies having a drumline this season. They're not listed anywhere on the WGI site, either. Where did you get this info?

I'm pretty sure the Cavaliers' winter drum line isn't a competitive unit.