Phantom Winter Guard

http://www.regiment.org/story.cfm?ID=660

Do you think this will be more beneficial to their summer show? I'm guess in yes, but I really dont know how many of these young adults march in the corps.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom Regiment how cool is this:

The guard was loudly and enthusiastically cheered throughout its "A Defiant Heart" program.

You don't had a guard in 24 years, so what's your program concept? one of the most beloved shows of all time...brilliant!!

next year they should do New World Symphony b**bs

Edited by tubawarrior

Do you think this will be more beneficial to their summer show? I'm guess in yes, but I really dont know how many of these young adults march in the corps.

If you go to Phantom's Winter Guard web site, they have pictures of the members. When you highlight them a bio comes up with corps experience. Many of the females did march Phaontom. I would imagine that some of the men will this coming summer. Of course I don't know that for sure.

So I think it will help. I imagine that those winter guard members that march this summer will be the leadership; they'll have a good bond etc for the rest to latch onto.

I don't think it will help nor hurt significantly.

Back when the Cavies Winterguard was winning WGI regularly, their field guard was not as successful. They were good no doubt, but their award winning WGI guard did not necessarily equate to a winning corps guard. I guess the same could be said about Phantom's guard from 1979-1980.

Corps whose guard membership is affected by members participating in WGI will find that they cannot have a full guard rehearsal for the corps guard until after the WGI season is over. So, it won't be until April when Regiment will be able to have a full guard rehearsal with all staff and members present. Although those members will come to the corps as more seasoned performers, IMHO, the absense of the full guard for the majority of the winter rehearsal schedule will affect the growth of the family atmosphere for the full corps. And with the absence of some of the most experienced performers at those early camps, it is possible that the younger and lesser experienced guard members, possibly rookies, would have less leadership to help in their growth as a performer.

But that's just my take...

Edited by ssorrell

Back when the Cavies Winterguard was winning WGI regularly, their field guard was nothing spectacular. They were good no doubt, but their award winning WGI guard did not necessarily equate to a winning corps guard.

Corps whose guard membership is affected by members participating in WGI will find that they cannot have a full guard rehearsal for the corps guard until after the WGI season is over. So, it won't be until April when Regiment will be able to have a full guard rehearsal with all staff and members present. Although those members will come to the corps as more seasoned performers, IMHO, the absense of the full guard for the majority of the winter rehearsal schedule will affect the growth of the family atmosphere for the full corps. And with the absence of some of the most experienced performers at those early camps, it is possible that the younger and lesser experienced guard members, possibly rookies, would have less leadership to help in their growth as a performer.

Actually, if you read the winter camp schedules for most corps, they only have brass and percussion during the winter. Few of the corps have guards until after WGI finals. Though most corps don't sponsor a winter guard, many staff and members participate in WGI through their local HS and independant groups.

In terms of show design, the guard work and coreography are tha last parts of the show to be done, so it's better for these members to be perfoming and doing, rather than just being "busy" at camp without the real summer work.

In terms of show design, the guard work and coreography are tha last parts of the show to be done, so it's better for these members to be perfoming and doing, rather than just being "busy" at camp without the real summer work.

But, like I said Shawn, what about those members of the corps guard that are not in WGI? What about the rookies that need to start earlier just to get up to an acceptible level of performance? I understand that the last elements of the design of the show is the guard work and choreography, but I come from a corps with 2 guard championships under their belt...I can't tell you how much time Scott Chandler and Tam Easterwood spent, even in the summer, on basics.

But, like I said Shawn, what about those members of the corps guard that are not in WGI? What about the rookies that need to start earlier just to get up to an acceptible level of performance? I understand that the last elements of the design of the show is the guard work and choreography, but I come from a corps with 2 guard championships under their belt...I can't tell you how much time Scott Chandler and Tam Easterwood spent, even in the summer, on basics.

That is a good question.

I don't reallly know. Some corps may have the non-WGI members come and excuse those that are. At least that would be a way to handle it so those less experienced members are getting experience.

I also don't know how div II/III handle it or if they have as many members involved in WGI.

I know from reading bios on one corps website (that has them for their membrs) most (not all) of the guard members were involved in winter guards.

Back when the Cavies Winterguard was winning WGI regularly, their field guard was not as successful. They were good no doubt, but their award winning WGI guard did not necessarily equate to a winning corps guard. I guess the same could be said about Phantom's guard from 1979-1980.

I'd like to know how many Div. I drum corps actually have full guard rehearsals before April anymore. My belief is that few are able to do so. Many summer guard instructors run their own or work for Winterguard making the scheduling of guard camps during the winter very difficult.