I realize I'm beating a dead horse

The judges want sterile execution ... Cavies gave it to them. Phantom wasn't very clean, in part, due to demand. I still believe they had a better show on Semi's night. There was alot of "stuff" flying in the horn line on finals night (they even sounded tired). They were OH SO close!!! If they had 3 more days ... it would have been theirs. But, that's the case with just about any year. The corps in 2-6th place could win if they only had another week. In rare cases, corps have come from 3rd or 4th to win (96 PR, 83 Garfield, almost 92 Cadets, etc.). Sure it's nice to win, but it's pretty sweet when you're sitting at home and watch your show .. and realize that no matter what .. you were a part of that AWESOME creation. Nobody can take that away from PR '06.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it may come as a shocker, but i'm surprised ("surprised" isn't exactly the word i want, but it'll suffice) they placed second and not third :worthy: haha lots of obvious good going on in this show and certain scores were definitely deserved (granted, i'm not a judge, and really probably every score was deserved) but i still think bd was the better option for second place.

i don't have the dvd's, but i went to quarterfinals in the theaters and saw the espn thing, and to me, BD's drill was not as clean as it could be on finals. So that is probably why they dropped. Everyone in the top 3 pwnsface pretty hard this year though.

I personally do not care for Phantom 2006... the drill seemed very forced in my opinion.

How can drill be forced?

i don't have the dvd's, but i went to quarterfinals in the theaters and saw the espn thing, and to me, BD's drill was not as clean as it could be on finals. So that is probably why they dropped. Everyone in the top 3 pwnsface pretty hard this year though.

i have, admittedly, watched bd on multi-cam more than high, so this may in fact be true. what i remember seeing i thought to be pretty stellar.

and as far as pwning face is concerned, absolutely!

How can drill be forced?

When the elements are too close together in the transition and the shapes appear to be forced into place. With Phantom, I thought this was mostly a problem in several of the color guard transitions moving them to center stage after being on the outside of the hornline. It made things look frantic and out of control. Again, just my opinion and I am certainly no judge. And this is not saying that is was not a good show. I thought it was a fantastic show, I just think Cavaliers were better.

You always have to remember that DCI judging is based on the judge's personal opinion. Just as someone may have hated the Cavalier's music or phantom's drill, there are people who felt the other way. Judges are supposed to be objective but objectivity is very hard to pull off when you're looking at drastically different shows. Phantom lost by less than half a point, when scores are that close, one show is not necessarily better than the other and the winner is decided by the judges' personal opinion.

How in the world did Phantom not win?

Ave Maria sent shivers down my spine, as no other drum corps show has since the finale in 89 Vanguard

Because the Cavaliers were better than them.

Championships aren't just given away for your spine shivers.

Championships aren't just given away for your spine shivers.

Nope, in the 2000s it doesn't hurt to show a little green. :)

Speaking of subjectivity ... lets look at a short version of the recap from Championship week and compare Cavies and PR

Cavies

GE:.....Quarters....1st by .8............Semi’s.......1st by .5..................Finals......1st tie

Vis:......Quarters....2nd by -.35........Semi’s.......1st by .55................Finals......1st by .55

Mus.:....Quarters....2nd by -.275......Semi’s.......1st tie......................Finals......2nd by -.2

Phantom

GE:......Quarters....3rd....................Semi’s........ 3rd.........................Finals.....1st tie

Vis:......Quarters....3rd................... Semi’s........3rd......................... Finals.....3rd

Mus.:....Quarters....1st....................Semi’s........1st tie......................Finals.....1st

All the score differentials are only between PR and Cavies*

What's really interesting is all the flip flopping in the sub-captions. When each corps in the top 4 are going to score over a 9.1 in each sub-caption, there isn't much room to maneuver. So a 19.8 isn't really better than a 19.7 .... it's the judge saying .. you're both the cats arse .... but I'm giving corps X the nod tonight. I'm not going to go too deep into this but, we either agree or we don't when the scores are announced ... fact is ... everyone wants to know who won ... and the kids on the field want a ring. To me, it really doesn't matter.

Edited by supersop