84 27th lancers drumline

Heh....you'll pardon me f I respectfully disagree! :P

Disagree all you want.... I had the opportunity to be sitting in row 16.... 45 yd. line at Ga Tech that year... While BD may have had the better pit.... 27th's battery made up the difference and then some.....

All said.... 27th should have taken BD by 2/10th's in '84.

They were extremely tight. The drums sounded FANTASTIC! Especially the snares. I personally think snareline tuning peaked in the mid eighties - didn't sound like sticks on floor tiles.

The North Star in 1979 were GREAT!!!!!! I saw them practice during finals week in 1979 it was an incredible experience. I wish everyone could go back in time and experience the drumlines of the late 70's early 80's.

I did march in '84 and had the pleasure of having several close friends in the drumline. While conversations were always on the friendly side, those of us in the horn line that had been there a little while knew that drumline was capable of playing charts the horn line couldn't even think of taking the field with. The drum solo was interesting to play, by the way Memphis I do remember seeing you back there waving the arms around. :blink:

27th's drumline was AMAZING. I vividly remember getting off the bus in Naperville, IL in late June. The two-seven battery was warming up under a tree. I slowly walked by with my jaw on the ground. :wub::wub::laugh:

I'll never forget it.

I did march in '84 and had the pleasure of having several close friends in the drumline. While conversations were always on the friendly side, those of us in the horn line that had been there a little while knew that drumline was capable of playing charts the horn line couldn't even think of taking the field with. The drum solo was interesting to play, by the way Memphis I do remember seeing you back there waving the arms around. :laugh:

I would love to contribute to this love fest for the 84 drum line. They were the best drum line I was associated with in 27. But that greatness didn't come without a few sacrifices. One involving one of the drum majors. I don't want to sound cryptic about this but there is another story out there from 84 that made it probably the worst experience I ever had in drum corps. Stef feel free to elaborate if you want. If I do, it might come off as sour grapes and I certainly don't want to take anything away from what those kids accomplished in that drum line.

I'm gonna pour some more sugar on it, if I may. the judge's tape LancerLady referred to a while back is of Perc ensemble judge John Blair in South Carloina, prolly about a week or so before Finals. He goes from "OK" at the end of the opener to "It is an absolute joy" and "It's beautiful" and "There's not a lot I can tell you" by the end. And hearing those licks on his tape recorder, up close, you hear just how unbelievably good that battery was. Mahrone.

I'm gonna pour some more sugar on it, if I may. the judge's tape LancerLady referred to a while back is of Perc ensemble judge John Blair in South Carloina, prolly about a week or so before Finals. He goes from "OK" at the end of the opener to "It is an absolute joy" and "It's beautiful" and "There's not a lot I can tell you" by the end. And hearing those licks on his tape recorder, up close, you hear just how unbelievably good that battery was. Mahrone.

I think I have that tape as well (mp3 actually). I also have one of him judging BD in Utah (I think)....always fin to listen to....if he liked something you knew about it.

27th's drumline was AMAZING. I vividly remember getting off the bus in Naperville, IL in late June. The two-seven battery was warming up under a tree. I slowly walked by with my jaw on the ground. :rolleyes::blink::blink:

I'll never forget it.

That line was the most intense unit I ever saw. They blew me away when they would come up from sectionals for run throughs. Just playing a roll and marching up, the intensity was simply incredible.

I would love to contribute to this love fest for the 84 drum line. They were the best drum line I was associated with in 27. But that greatness didn't come without a few sacrifices. One involving one of the drum majors. I don't want to sound cryptic about this but there is another story out there from 84 that made it probably the worst experience I ever had in drum corps. Stef feel free to elaborate if you want. If I do, it might come off as sour grapes and I certainly don't want to take anything away from what those kids accomplished in that drum line.

It was a tough year in that department. I remember it well, but I think that sort of "dirty laundry" should stay "in the house," if you know what I mean. Steph may have come to us after that happened, I don't remember. She will clarify that, I'm sure.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27