Retreat Stories

At Mile High Stadium in 1976 they shot off fire work while they were "tabulating" the scores.

They shot them off over the field so all the burning ashes were literally hitting the corps on the field.

We were jumping all over the place dodging the stupid ashes some of which were the size of a frisbee.

The Troopers were next to us and stood at perfect attention the entire time.

I was all set to say something about never seeing the fun and games. But I appreciate that you noticed we NEVER moved. Not your hands, not your eyes, nothing. EVER.

That was a great retreat. We could see the fireworks in the reflection from the pressbox. It was almost like actually seeing them. ^OO^

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in 89 we went undefeated thru first tour, and after retreat the baritone section would block up and march back to the busses playing Scotland the Brave ala Bagpipes. Sounded pretty cool actually.

Well the poor Cavaliers had been listening to this crap ALL summer.

Finally, in Cinicnatti, they got their one win over us the entire season.

I will never forget their baritone line honking out Scotland the Brave all the way back to their busses.

I nearly busted a gut laughing my ### off.

Also, I'm pretty sure at one retreat, our rifle line marched with perfect military bearing over to Phantom's snare line and treated them to a kiss on the cheek!! (Anyone confirm that?)

Hi Jim - what I remember is the Phantom rifle line visiting our drumline. As a matter of fact Dustin was kind of P.O.ed that he got a mouth full of chain instead of something else!

Edited by LancerFi

Hi Jim - what I remember is the Phantom rifle line visiting our drumline. As a matter of fact Dustin was kind of P.O.ed that he got a mouth full of chain instead of something else!

You're right - I was kind of fuzzy on that one - you ladies would NEVER have broken ranks come to think of it! Too funny about Dustin - and VERY true!!

:worthy: I do seem to hazily remember a retreat in Montreal ,1984.I was in the Bridgemen then..........anyone.I dont wanna say it,but I would assume that some from the Cavs would remember it. :P

Ahh,good ole' bus surfin' on retreat,those were the days.

Ahead of time we would pick a 'victim'. This person would be looking around, scratching his butt etc... at retreat. The horn seargent would go up and slug the guy knocking him down... shako flying... get the picture. Unless you were looking directly at the whole thing happening kinda looked real and it would be interesting to hear some comments from other corps later.

That was, by far, my proudest BAC moment - Huntington, WV; July of 91. The horn sargeant and I had it all planned out. He would come over to me and quietly accuse me of humming at retreat. Of all songs - Danny Boy! That's 4 or 5 cardinal rules I broke right there. He would give me a good shove to the right.

It was executed perfectly. The shove hurled me over the line, into Blue Knights, where my bari hit a leg of one of their members, my shako hit another. I got up, dusted myself off, apoligized to the BKs for my equipment hitting them, and went back to my spot. I went to parade rest with the loudest (and most painful) crash against my buckle of my BAC career. The sargeant then came over and yelled at me for speaking in uniform (the apology) to the BKs. He ended, in my face, with "We'll deal with you on the bus!"

As I was in the back of the retreat block, only a few if us knew this had happened. Once the story was told, congratulations were in order.

That was, by far, my proudest BAC moment - Huntington, WV; July of 91. The horn sargeant and I had it all planned out. He would come over to me and quietly accuse me of humming at retreat. Of all songs - Danny Boy! That's 4 or 5 cardinal rules I broke right there. He would give me a good shove to the right.

Humming "Danny Boy" was still an offense in 1991??!? 27th had been dormant for 4 seasons by then!! Did you still yell out "AAAAARGHHH!!!!" when you got to the 27th jumping jack, and bypass exit 27's and backtrack? Cowabunga!

Edited by A27Lancer

Humming "Danny Boy" was still an offense in 1991??!? 27th had been dormant for 4 seasons by then!! Did you still yell out "AAAAARGHHH!!!!" when you got to the 27th jumping jack, and bypass exit 27's and backtrack? Cowabunga!

I was wondering the same thing! I know in '83 they were doing but I am shocked that they still were doing it many years later! Is that still a custom in BAC? :drool:

Corps ready front- <CLANK!!!>

Ahhh... memories.

We did a parade rest before going into the stadium that had a tempo set to it. I was the second one line so I set the tempo ^0^

A good night

(John) Clank..... (me) Clank..... (next)clank.... etc for 10 people then you get the tic box that got out of tempo.

A bad night

Clank.................................... Clank (opps :) ).................... Clank....... clank... clank...................clank........... CLANK..

Div II/III finals

CLANK, CLANK, CLANK.... A thing of beauty.

Good times

Anyone remember the fireworks at retreat at Championships in 93 when one of the fireworks went flying down into teh Star of Indiana horn block before exploding. That would not have been fun at all.

I remember that...Didn't some fireworks also shoot up towards the Troopers (in the back stands), who were playing the top 12 onto the field?