Retreat Stories

I wondered for about 2 weeks in 86 where the smell of pepperoni kept coming from .... then one night I saw the Domino's guy delivering to the back end of the Glassmen contra section. Nothing like fresh hot pizza during retreat :drool:

Ahh, Jim Fox used to tell this story often. According to the legend, this happened at the Port Clinton, Ohio, show, essentially a home show for Glassmen. That night, the drumline ordered pizza and had it delivered on the field during retreat. Meanwhile, Troopers are next to Glassmen, being their usual Trooper bad ### selves. One of the Glassmen drummers actually went over to Troop and offered them a slice.

Troopers didn't like us that much for a while after that. :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man oh man! You just don't know bugs till you've had to stand at attention - without flinching - at retreat in Whitewater, Wisconsin with a mosquito sitting on your eyelid that is soooo big you can't keep your eye open because of the weight of the darn thing!

If I can survive that without freaking out, I'm ready for just about anything...

Ditto for just about every show in Minnesota. Land of 10,000 lakes means 10,000 stagnant pools of mosquito-breeding water.

Ditto for just about every show in Minnesota. Land of 10,000 lakes means 10,000 stagnant pools of mosquito-breeding water.

I second that. We dreaded Stillwater.

Actually Stillwater is where we got hit with our dreaded bout of food poisoining DCI week in 86

Ok, this is a senior retreat story, but....

Retreat, 1984. Royalaires. The lull before the scores. BORING. Some of our beloved horns, who shall remain nameless, decide to pull condoms out of their pockets, stretch them over their heads until they covered over their noses, and then inflate them until they flew off. The crowd was busting with laughter, and the announcer thought that they were laughing at his lame jokes.

Edited by susantaylor40

Howie Mandel used to do that in his standup act until his doctor told him of the damage that can do to his sinuses if he continued to do that !! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

I guess it weas either DEAL OR NO DEAL for him !! :angry::huh:

Edited by ODBC

We were in the middle of tour and I was completely exhausted. We were standing at retreat at parade rest and I fell asleep standing up. I started falling backwards and one of the soprano players behind me caught me. Needless to say I was completely embarrassed and was picked on forever. Something else I have learned is to not lock your knees while standing at parade rest in a retreat block. :worthy:

Man oh man! You just don't know bugs till you've had to stand at attention - without flinching - at retreat in Whitewater, Wisconsin with a mosquito sitting on your eyelid that is soooo big you can't keep your eye open because of the weight of the darn thing!

If I can survive that without freaking out, I'm ready for just about anything...

They looked like B-52's with mouths that resembled bulldozer shovels!

I was with Troop in 1980; and remember during retreat (which seemed like it lasted for a week...) those things biting THRU the wool jacket and pants! The air was so thick with them it looked like fog! DM John Masterson would walk by and pick off multiple pests from our face; by the time he got to the baritones his white gloves were RED.

I just shiver at all the diseases that were transmitted that night :sshh:

As of '91, anything to do 26 + 1 was outlawed. One of our sop age-outs that year had marched Revere. She tooked a lot of abuse, but weathered well. We were all proud to get her on the bus and out of Madison after Preview of Champions! She had problems with getting out of Madison in '86. I guess she missed the bus? :worthy:

I now teach middle school band, and my students always mark measure 26 + 1 in their music as I have told them about the forbidden number. I should be happy - they bring pencils to rehearsal.

In '91, we still had many BAC members who had marched during the disaster known as 26 + 1. The vets kept the traditions alive. I'm not sure if those traditions remain.