Retreat Stories

As of '91, anything to do 26 + 1 was outlawed.

In '91, we still had many BAC members who had marched during [the disaster] known as 26 + 1. The vets kept the traditions alive. I'm not sure if those traditions remain.

Disaster?? Hmmmmmm....

Kind of a weird tradition that many in "54/2" didn't fully understand. The two corps had a rivalry in the VERY early days (late 60's), but after that....well....not really.

In 1978, Hymie got all of us who could afford one to buy 'Sader t-shirts which we wore to rehearsal while on tour. People would come down to watch us rehearse and get confused when 40 horn players wearing Waldo shirts would start playing the theme from the Danny Thomas show. No disrespect intended on our part, it was just a "Hymie thing". He was the type that would play "Conquest" on his horn and do the "AAAAARGHHH!!" yell and everything.

We would even yell the AAAAARGHHH! during jumping jacks ourselves sometimes when we got to 13.5x2. Weird... I never really understood the whole thing, but it was kinda fun.

(BTW - 'Saders? :worthy::worthy: )

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54/2? 13.5 X 2? Dorchester kids don't do that type of math.

BTW - 8.6 X pi works, too.

I have heard most of the BA attitude was told to quit in '94 by the DM. Retreats, if they existed nowadays, would probably be a much more relaxed around the BAC block.

Man oh man! You just don't know bugs till you've had to stand at attention - without flinching - at retreat in Whitewater, Wisconsin with a mosquito sitting on your eyelid that is soooo big you can't keep your eye open because of the weight of the darn thing!

If I can survive that without freaking out, I'm ready for just about anything...

Brad, you have never experienced mosquito H-E-double hockey sticks until you've experienced retreat in Horicon, WI. I always dreaded that show because of hte mosquitos. And this is coming from someone that grew up in Minnesota!

1992 somewhere in Michigan. Alcohol was served at the show so our ageouts were allowed to have a drink after our performance and then sit in the stands during retreat. Well a few of them may of had one too many and started yelling at us about the way we marched onto the field, our posture and just cat-calling. Drum line tossed candy back and forth with another corps--we got our butts chewed out for that one.

Any chance that was the Canadian Open in Kitchner/Waterloo? I remember winning that show, much to the dismay of the Kiwanis Kavaliers' faithful. Instead of a standard victory concert, our... um... inebriated staff decided that we should play our parade tune twenty or thirty times. America the Beautiful.

Any chance that was the Canadian Open in Kitchner/Waterloo? I remember winning that show, much to the dismay of the Kiwanis Kavaliers' faithful. Instead of a standard victory concert, our... um... inebriated staff decided that we should play our parade tune twenty or thirty times. America the Beautiful.
Just checked the shows on corpsreps and it was in Grand Rapids. Barbed wire around the stadium, heard gunshots as we were warming up!

Brad, you have never experienced mosquito H-E-double hockey sticks until you've experienced retreat in Horicon, WI. I always dreaded that show because of hte mosquitos. And this is coming from someone that grew up in Minnesota!

Thanks alot LOL I had managed to supress all memories of Horicon LOL

I am now itching with rediscovered bug bites

Brad wasn't that the Racine show that had the barbed wire around the stadium??

I was looking at the show line-up and I don't think you guys were throwing candy back to Americanos--was'nt it Rapid City Express??

I remeber some crazy thing going on at Nationals retreat in Denver in 1978. As soon as the lights went out for the fireworks.....lets just say it wasn't rated PG :P :P

I remeber some crazy thing going on at Nationals retreat in Denver in 1978. As soon as the lights went out for the fireworks.....lets just say it wasn't rated PG :P :P

My age-out year! I think my dowel bag was a little heavier than usual....

Hymie and I considered spelling out something with all the age-outs' shoes, but sanity prevailed.