Madison Scouts 1997- The Pirates of Lake Mendota

Hrothgar, you may like the website www.corpsreps.com

It has everything on there in regards to repertoire, placement, and placement I have ever thought of asking on it.

If your curious...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all you kiddies who are only just now READING about this show...go to DCI.org, register for Season Pass, and spend the $3 to download this show!!!!!

What set this show apart from so much of what we see today is that you could watch it without audio, or listen to it without seeing it and either was just as exciting as the other. Now it seems that someone can have an AMAZING visual production, but to listen to just the audio would make for a dull experience. This show was the best of both worlds...action...adventure...great visual effects...and a killer soundtrack to go along. Actually, it sounds like I'm describing "Pirates of the Caribbean 3"!!!!! b**bs

Isn't it great to listen to that show...and anticipate the crowd explosion after the last note is played...so that you can pull the headphones away from the ears a bit cuz it hurts too much. DAT...DAT.. DADADADAT! *AHHHHHHHHH* (in true hrothgar style :) )

Mmm....

413148432_9031c82396_o.png

Hey look, a melody. b**bs

Edited by Hrothgar15

Oh no! I went back and listened, and i forgot an isolated DAT!

Okay, you got me - this is a show that would not have been nearly as powerful without the guard.

The sword fight on top of the rotating drum rack, and the lead pirate sticking his sword in the ground and taking a bow in front of the company front are two of my favorite moments in drum corps, period.

Great great great show - Madison needs to consider exploring this style of performance again.

This was a great show & a great corps.

This was the last time that Madison has a really strong guard, IMO. They seemed very old/mature, and the following year (and subsequent years) they seemed younger and much less experienced - did they all age out after this year?

Edited by billj

• 2 months later...
Being in the crowd that night was ridiculous. Nothing like hearing somebody jumping up and down on the bleachers and yelling like a crazy person....then realizing it's you.

That stadium went berserk during the hold and just kept rocking all the way through the end and until the corps was off the field. Amazing.

Being on the field was ridiculous as well. I was 18 and just finishing up my first year on the field. It had been a particularly difficult year for this garbage boy (as todd can attest to, I'm sure). I remember that after the show we came off the field got into a circle and no one talked, we just all wept. For a long time I don't remember anyone talking. Eventually Stewart said something. It was probably profound, but it's hard to say what it was anymore...

There's something about standing in front of 15-20 thousand people screaming their lungs out that really defies description. For 30 seconds all of us are just there, in that moment. The members are completely focused on their product (and not missing the step-off after the hold), and the audience is completely focused on the show... no one is worreid about their kids needing braces or our their spouses or their seat partners or whatever... We're just all in the moment, in one place, together.

I stayed in drum corps for another 9 years. Mostly, I think, trying to duplicate that experience for myself and for some kids. While I certainly had some other peak experiences, nothing was quite like those 30 seconds in Orlando in 1997...

It was definitely a special moment. I know exactly what you're talking about in terms of experiencing a great performance early on in your career and chasing it for the rest of it.

Orlando always got knocked around for the weather, but I think the crowds were great in terms of being appreciative of the performers especially since they weren't necessarily huge in terms of numbers.

MAn, I am so glad that I'm not the only one who REALLY loved this show. It's been one of my favorites since I first saw it. Too much to take in. One of the best shows of all time.