Pasadena Burbs

Looking for rooms in the LA area. Can some Socals give me some info on where to stay and areas to avoid staying? It's been a while since I spent some time there. I'm wondering about Arcadia, El Monte, San Dimas, Alhambra and Glendale. And does traffic ever get light sometime during the day from LAX? Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would advise you to avoid staying in El Monte. As a South El Monte native, though it hurts me to say, its pretty ghetto down there and somewhat far from Pasadena. Alhambra is also too far. I would recommend you to stay around the Arcadia area instead. As far as the traffic from the LAX, its best to go to and from there in the early morning or late at night. Rush hour usually kicks in from 1-6pm so yeah. Come early or later. Hope this helps. :)

Looking for rooms in the LA area. Can some Socals give me some info on where to stay and areas to avoid staying? It's been a while since I spent some time there. I'm wondering about Arcadia, El Monte, San Dimas, Alhambra and Glendale. And does traffic ever get light sometime during the day from LAX? Thanks.

The 405 gets light sometime after 8PM ... Then its usually a quicker kind of bumper-to-bumper ride.

There are hotels/motels in Arcadia, around Santa Anita, and plenty in Glendale/Burbank.

Generally traffic on the 134/210 isn't bad except for rush hours ... East-bound during the PM commute and West-bound during the AM commute.

Keep in mind that DCI is happening during peak tourist season, so book now or complain not later on!

The 405 gets light sometime after 8PM ... Then its usually a quicker kind of bumper-to-bumper ride.

There are hotels/motels in Arcadia, around Santa Anita, and plenty in Glendale/Burbank.

Generally traffic on the 134/210 isn't bad except for rush hours ... East-bound during the PM commute and West-bound during the AM commute.

Keep in mind that DCI is happening during peak tourist season, so book now or complain not later on!

I would say your best bet would probably be near the Burbank airport (Bob Hope Airport). If money is no object, there are some great Hotels in the Pasadena area. Anahiem and Orange county are a bit of a drive from Pasadena, especially at rush hour. Burbank would be a safe bet, 20 minutes from the stadium, even in traffic. A straight shot up the 134.

Oh yeah, you might want to avoid Pacoima... just a hunch!

San Dimas, you'll have to deal with the 10-210-57 intersection, especially being that Raging Waters is in that area as well.

There are a lot of hotels along Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena. Best place to stay I think

I would say your best bet would probably be near the Burbank airport (Bob Hope Airport). If money is no object, there are some great Hotels in the Pasadena area. Anahiem and Orange county are a bit of a drive from Pasadena, especially at rush hour. Burbank would be a safe bet, 20 minutes from the stadium, even in traffic. A straight shot up the 134.

Oh yeah, you might want to avoid Pacoima... just a hunch!

Ontario Airport might be good too if you're coming in the evening. Your drive towards Pasadena will be against the traffic leaving LA (although the 210 won't be completely hassle free it will be better than trying to take the 110 through downtown LA at that time of day). Ontario Airport is much more pleasant than LAX too. Flights should be cheaper than Burbank, but I'm not sure about that.

As far as places to stay, Claremont and Upland are nice towns about half an hour out (sans traffic). Not too familiar with LA county though so others may be able to recommend places closer.

No reason to get on the 405 from LAX to Pasadena. Take 105 to 5 north to 110. Traffic all over the city usually opens up a little bit between 9:30 and 11am and then again after 7pm. Arcadia is good, Pasadena is better and South Pasadena/San Marino is even better. La Cañada is a nice area if you want something low key and cheaper, Glendale is ok in the right parts, or Studio City/Universal if you want to do the tourist thing.

One word of advice. Try to stay as close to the stadium as posible. People in SoCal drive crazyand fast, very fast. I'm from DC, we are bad drivers. But when your driving 80 on the freeway and people are passing you like your parked. That's fast! My friend Assia had to take over the driving. She's from Cali.