Catholic Drum Corps

Good to hear all those old names again. I do want to mention that many of the kids who marched with the CYO parish corps were not Catholic.

In fact, as I remember, junior drum corps in the day was really well integrated in almost every respect. The exception being that some corps didn't want boys and girls mixing. In fact, St. Raphael's originally had a girl guard, but had to get rid of them due to pressure from someone (don't know exactly where the pressure came from).

In any case, it is good to hear all the old names.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is a shame that the Cathilic church no longer sponcers D&B corps.

Especially when you take into account how many kids lives were changed and enriched, by the activity.

With all the money that the church generates!

Their participation was during a time when drum corps was for all kids. Not just the ones who could afford it.

I guess that particular aspect is what really irritates me about drum corps, then vs. now.

We are being partially sponsored by the Catholic school system here in the Philadelphia Area and i am proud to carry on the proud heritage the catholic archdiocesan has given to the Drum corps world.

Midwest had a ton of them also.

We did a lot of catholic sponsored "holy ghost" parades, but I don't believe there were ANY drum and bugle corps sponsored by the church in California.

I may be wrong, and if there is someone out there who can correct me, flame on, but I can't think of one.......

:laughing:

Good to hear all those old names again. I do want to mention that many of the kids who marched with the CYO parish corps were not Catholic.

In fact, as I remember, junior drum corps in the day was really well integrated in almost every respect. The exception being that some corps didn't want boys and girls mixing. In fact, St. Raphael's originally had a girl guard, but had to get rid of them due to pressure from someone (don't know exactly where the pressure came from).

In any case, it is good to hear all the old names.

Dave

Well ... pressure came from His Eminence, newly appointed Bishop Curtis, who had separation in mind for all CYO activities ... he even split the Catholic HS in Bpt to Notre Dame Boys and Notre Dame Girls (which is where the ND-ettes came from) ... St. Lucy's (NJ) also used to be co-ed but went all male in 64 or 65 I think ... St. Raphael's did offer an alternate path though for females, forming the all-girl Marionettes ...

Andy "oh how I remember the screwy sixties" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

The corps I started with (Fairlawn Police Cadets) was formerly St. Ann's Cadets. (Maybe even St. Ann's Police Cadets)...also of Fairlawn.

From the North Jersey area, there was:

Our Lady of Lourdes (Paterson, NJ)

St. Brendan's Cadets (Clifton, NJ)

St. Lucy's (Newark, NJ)

Blessed Sacrament (Newark, NJ)

St. Rose of Lima (Newark, NJ)

St. Patrick's Cadets (Jersey City, NJ)

St. Andrew's Bridgemen (Bayonne, NJ)

St. George Cadets (Paterson,NJ)......This corps from Michigan Ave in South Paterson was largely credited with being the pre-WWII Caballeros)

St. Joseph's (Newark, NJ)

St. Martin's (Newark, NJ)

St. Mary's (Nutley, NJ)

St. Vincent's (Bayonne, NJ)

St. Vincent's (Madison, NJ)

Holy Name Cadets (Garfield, NJ)

Our Lady of Good Counsel Woodsiders (Newark, NJ)

These are by memory only.......I'm sure there were more.......

North Jersey had about as many CATHOLIC Drum and Bugle Corps as DCI has corps.

Joe

And a few from the 60s from south of the Mason-Dixon Line:

St. James, Baltimore, MD

St. Mary's Lancers, Baltimore, MD

and OLPH VIPs, DC - (the initials corps; payback to Bill S of BS!)

SKY

Edited by sky

• 11 months later...

Saint Marys Annunciators Cambridge Ma, Dont forget most of these corps in these Parishis had junoir corps Annunciators had The Heralds.

I used to march in a corps called St Augustine Black Knights in NH, in the early 70's. My brother was in them in the 60's .The feeder corps was called the Squires.

Every Memorial Day parade I've been to in Totowa, NJ features Mother Cabrini HS Drum Corps and Color Guard. If you see them, you LOVE them........ military bearing, discipline, high step mark-time, white boots..... all traditional, and a legacy of excellence. They are ALWAYS a feature of New York's St. Patrick's Day parade.

Drums, fifes, glocks..... white blouse, blue skirt, gold sash..... blue & white shakos.

I would insert a picture if I knew how (this site asks me for the URL of the pic)

Mother Cabrini HS Drum Corps and Color Guard...... kinda' the Noah's Ark of junior corps.

Joe

Edited by JoeDz

I am seeking information on any Catholic drum corps. I know such corps were popular back in the day and I would like to find out about their histories and origins. Any information would be great!

During the 1960's there were three all-girl Catholic drum corps in South Jersey: The Belles of St. Mary's (Gloucester), Christ the King Royalaires (Haddonfield). and St. Nicholas Cadets (Egg Harbor).