When is DCI going to go HD?

So I have this awesome tv. 56 inch DLP HD 1080p scan. Figured DCI would look awesome on it but yeah not so much...

DCI needs to go HD!!! Or at least record the video with better quality. Someone told me they are still using analog cameras... Is this true? Wouldn't surprise me. My normal DVD's still look awesome on my TV with my upconverter (my 360). At least come out with a widescreen version. You can get more out of the high cam shot that way.

Lets go DCI you do great in almost everything.

Vote HD now!

Mark

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as has been said here before, they want to. Everyone wants to be in HD, but since DCI pays for it, they have been very clear that they can't afford to use HD equipment at this time.

Trust me; everyone wants it, and when it makes financial sense, it'll happen. Just don't forget that DCI pays the bill on production, and they're hardly made of gold.

meh, I really don't think HD is that big of a deal, drum corps wise. If I were to want something in HD for Drum Corps purposes, I want the sound of the show to be like I was there. Nothing like a live sound of brass.

Too bad the DVD's can't have all the amped vocals on a separate audio track, and be able to turn them on and off like a directors commentary.

Maybe someday.

High definition sports broadcasts look absolutely amazing! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a standard DVD is high definition. DVDs were invented for regular TVs. But if DCI were recorded and broadcast in HD, they could still use the widescreen format on the DVDs which would be very cool!

I have noticed that the picture quality on the DCI DVDs are iffy sometimes, even on my regular 19 inch TV. It looks pixelated. Anybody else notice that?

Too bad the DVD's can't have all the amped vocals on a separate audio track, and be able to turn them on and off like a directors commentary.

Maybe someday.

Well...that day would probably have to be when amps/narration are not part of the performed show, but considering they are part of the performance and the directors comments are recorded on a seperate track after the season, they day will never come.

Unless of course we mic the entire corps, have them all on seperate channels and just mix out the amp/narration.

High definition sports broadcasts look absolutely amazing! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a standard DVD is high definition. DVDs were invented for regular TVs. But if DCI were recorded and broadcast in HD, they could still use the widescreen format on the DVDs which would be very cool!

I have noticed that the picture quality on the DCI DVDs are iffy sometimes, even on my regular 19 inch TV. It looks pixelated. Anybody else notice that?

Your corrections... :blink:

Standard DVDs are "extended definition". They carry 480p lines.

HD carries 720p or 1080i. All cable companies I know of convert 720p up to 1080i anyhow. Saves on bandwidth.

DCI DVDs, especially if you're talking pre-2000 can indeed be grainy at times. It's a by-product of having to convert massive amounts of video onto one disc. Your typical movie is 2 hours. Your typical finals disc? Go 14x12, plus vignettes. Usually amounts to well over 3 hours.

Your 19 inch TV can potentially bring those out depending on its settings, too. Make sure it and your DVD player are properly calibrated.

That is all. </bullhorn>

I have a question, an honest one too, not meant to offend, but why is it a big deal if it does go to Hi Def? it's still the same image, just a little bit clearer. it's not like you are going to see something completely different are you?

I get a couple of HD ESPN channels with DirecTv--it would be cool to be able to record an HD broadcast of Finals on my DVR. (I haven't actually had the chance to view any of the newer DVDs-- it would my first chance to hear it in DD 5.1)