African-American Corps: Then and Now

African-American Drum and Bugle Corps: Then and Now

Harold Craig Barber gives us all something to think about during Black History Month in his reflections on the history of African-American drum and bugle corps and the current state of that segment of the activity.

Here's a paragraph from the column that I found particularly worthy of pondering.

"I know I speak for a lot of inner city adults who marched in African-American drum corps when I say that the drum corps activity has shaped the person that I am today. It kept me safe and out of trouble from the mean city streets. I was taught discipline, punctuality, teamwork, esprit de corps, hard work and respect for flag and country. In drum corps we learned to function with one goal; to be the best we could be collectively. These same principles guide my life today. I’ve seen many of my childhood friends fall by the wayside over the years. They did not have the same support mechanisms that I had; God, church, family, good friends and drum and bugle corps."

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice read, Mike!

Several of the names mentioned in this column....Gene Bennett, Billy Cobham, Bill Hightower, Frank Simpson.... all either marched with and/or taught the Sunrisers senior/all-age corps at some point. Makes me very proud to be a Sunriser alum!

Saw the Wynn Center Toppers alumni corps a few years ago at a show in NJ.....I'm not sure if they're still around as an alumni unit.

Fran

Very nice, thanks.

I've received a follow-up to today's column for printing in next week's Fanfare column, the last week of Black History Month. (Of course, we don't have to restrict columns on African-American corps to a single month, but it's an appropriate time to remember them.)

I'd love to get more such memories for next week's column. If you have anything to contribute, please send them to me at boomike@dci.org.

I just talked to Cathrine Thomas. She says she remembers marching in that show pictured.

Great article. It has so much at all levels for anyone involved in Drum Corps. Thank you Mr. Barber for sharing your memories and hopes.

With only two Division I corps left in the Northeast, I would love to see a corps like the CMCC Warriors make a comeback. In my very early years of Drum Corps we actually had to compete against them. We were kids growing up in white suburbia, and they were black kids from the inner city of New York. Drum Corps was probably the only time that we had any social contact with each other. That was back in the day when most membership was local, and the racial makeup of a corps was due mostly to demographics. With that said, I can't think of any reason why NYC shouldn't have a top tier junior corps. It has a population of about 8 million (almost half the population of the Netherlands) and I'm sure it has enough talented youth to form a very competetive corps. I guess it all boils down to money.

Thanks Mike!

Great story!

So what's the name of the corps Mr. Barber is starting??? Is there a website?

I want to buy souvies!

Great story!

So what's the name of the corps Mr. Barber is starting??? Is there a website?

I want to buy souvies!

The director (who is not Mr. Barber) is not ready to go public yet. But when they get going, I'll ask that we be notified. Not so sure they will have souvies. It's going to be a community-based ensemble that may or may not be competing at first. But the great thing is that there are people trying to make a difference in the lives of kids who could benefit from such a group.