Most sacred drum corps entity

Jofus

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man this is great thread. These are things that really can't be explained in words. You just have to be in the moment to get the significance of all of these traditions etc.

Sky Ryders didn't have a ton of longstanding "do's and don'ts" that I can recall. But playing the Larry Kerchner arrangement of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" was like channeling the heart and soul of everyone who'd ever stood on the field as a Sky Ryder.

One tradition that I always remember from SCV was that you didn't spit on the field. It may seem corny but seriously... the field was kinda sacred to us. And it didn't matter how crappy the field condition was from weeks of running the show. If you needed to spit, you walked off the field to do so. (Just one of the many things about marching corps that makes it a total experience way beyond debating scores and amps and "who has the best intonation while playing triplets" kinda discussions.)

Edited by bradrick

Roman's Hat - with all those pins...:)

One tradition that I always remember from SCV was that you didn't spit on the field.

We had very similar rules at Americanos - you didn't spit on the field, and you NEVER sat on it, the only time your rear touched the ground was when you were doing sit-ups.

I found this website a lil while back and thought it was interesting. These are some of the SCV traditions. I know some of them are true, but I'm not 100% sure about some others:

http://www.octopusroad.com/scvtraditions.html

Roman's Hat - with all those pins...:)

At the Normal show in 88 (our worst score ever while I marched-we scored like a 28) trhere were two corps tied for 7th I think, and we decided to flip Roman's hat to see who would go off last. I'm still amazed he let us do it. Proud to say it was my idea.